Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 ... 263   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Power  (Read 526128 times)
Crackity Jones

« Reply #780 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 06:06:57 »

What a load of bollocks from Jewell and a typically passive interview from Hodgetts

11th most competitive budget? If that was the case, how did we lose on all our top targets and miss out on new contracts to existing players we wanted to keep. Woolery eventually chose Tranmere over us after weeks of faffing for example To a man, all replacements were worse than the outgoing players.  

We were hardly adrift in January - some decent signings and a manager change and we could have been alright.  Why was Sheridan given the freedom to lose week in, week out.  He should have been sacked long before he chose to walk.

Sorry Jewell, but the actions of last season don't support your claims. It's a shame that Hodgetts won't ask the difficult questions.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 06:24:07 by Crackity Jones » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 06:25:42 »

11th highest budget is all relative though.

Like 90% of that could have been take up by last years players, leaving us very little spare budget to work with. I’d imagine Baudry and Fryers we’re earning decent money here but offered nothing on the pitch. We’d had to in theory waste budget replacing players that were still here being paid, several times over in defence!!

Nit surprised Woolery left, Wellens was never all in on him and wasn’t he offered reduced terms anyway?

Regardless of what our actual budget was - the signings were gash. There is no way our budget was they second worst in the league but that doesn’t fit the ‘its all Powers fault, Wellens was helpless narrative’

I can understand people not wanting to full blame Wellens but can’t get my head around those who want to complete absolve him of any blame.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 06:27:11 »

I've no doubt that the budget was competitive.  The squad was huge, didn't we have 7 first team centre backs and half a dozen wingers at the start of the season?  Pitman would have been on a decent wad, as would DJ, could be half a mil between those 2.

Other teams just spent better and didn't end up with a hopelessly unbalanced squad and the worst goalkeeper in the football league.

Sheridan then added the icing on the cake.   He would have put an average squad on a downward trajectory, but we had a poor one full of sicknotes.

Sunderland, Blackpool etc would have been over the cap having signed players before cap came into force.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 06:49:02 »

I’m sure some of the players who left would have stayed if offered better terms - Woolery, Isgrove, Keshi. That’s assuming the club wanted to keep them, of course. Doyle was always going to be a non starter.

It’s the jettisoning of the Smith trio that baffled me. I know Jonny wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he was better than whoever it was that replaced him. Ditto Matt and the refusal to play Tyler.

The keeper situation was just ridiculous and the panic recruiting of Grounds, that young lad from Norwich and Freeman was just plain weird.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #784 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 07:25:42 »

As if he knows we had the 11th biggest budget.
Absolutely shite, a few players that we signed were also offered reduced terms thus difficult to understand why we didn’t compete.
Will be happy when he is no longer part of this pantomime however until the parasite has nothing to do with the club nothing changes.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #785 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 07:26:02 »

11th highest budget is all relative though.

Like 90% of that could have been take up by last years players, leaving us very little spare budget to work with. I’d imagine Baudry and Fryers we’re earning decent money here but offered nothing on the pitch. We’d had to in theory waste budget replacing players that were still here being paid, several times over in defence!!

Nit surprised Woolery left, Wellens was never all in on him and wasn’t he offered reduced terms anyway?

Regardless of what our actual budget was - the signings were gash. There is no way our budget was they second worst in the league but that doesn’t fit the ‘its all Powers fault, Wellens was helpless narrative’

I can understand people not wanting to full blame Wellens but can’t get my head around those who want to complete absolve him of any blame.
To be fair DV i am not seeing much of that now
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #786 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 08:18:11 »

I’m sure some of the players who left would have stayed if offered better terms - Woolery, Isgrove, Keshi. That’s assuming the club wanted to keep them, of course. Doyle was always going to be a non starter.

It’s the jettisoning of the Smith trio that baffled me. I know Jonny wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he was better than whoever it was that replaced him. Ditto Matt and the refusal to play Tyler.

The keeper situation was just ridiculous and the panic recruiting of Grounds, that young lad from Norwich and Freeman was just plain weird.

Freeman was sold for a fee.
DJ went for a decent amount as well.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 08:33:51 »

Even if the budget was competitive by any stretch (which I don't believe for one second was 11th), the point which really grates me is why would we even sanction a competitive budget when we were constantly on the brink, had to sell players and seek money from the EFL hardship fund. Just reckless financial management. Everything these charlatans say just keeps contradicting one another.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 08:42:15 »

What a load of bollocks from Jewell and a typically passive interview from Hodgetts

11th most competitive budget? If that was the case, how did we lose on all our top targets and miss out on new contracts to existing players we wanted to keep. Woolery eventually chose Tranmere over us after weeks of faffing for example To a man, all replacements were worse than the outgoing players. 

We were hardly adrift in January - some decent signings and a manager change and we could have been alright.  Why was Sheridan given the freedom to lose week in, week out.  He should have been sacked long before he chose to walk.

Sorry Jewell, but the actions of last season don't support your claims. It's a shame that Hodgetts won't ask the difficult questions.

This!!!

Despite Wellens making errors (thats nailed on), the mad fact is, that we still had hope to get out of the mess if Sheridactyl had been given the bullet and a few players brought in in January....we even had a slight glimmer if the useless turd had gone after the Gills debacle.

Thats down to Power and Jewell, end of.

NB - Hodgetts questioning is about as aggressive as Jimmy Young when he had a Tory on (for those old enough to remember).

Clems Army!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #789 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 08:45:02 »

Even if the budget was competitive by any stretch (which I don't believe for one second was 11th), the point which really grates me is why would we even sanction a competitive budget when we were constantly on the brink, had to sell players and seek money from the EFL hardship fund. Just reckless financial management. Everything these charlatans say just keeps contradicting one another.
Jewell said that he doesn't deal with the finances. He said that was done by those above him. He just made the point that if you have a budget you have to use it wisely. There is no room for sentiment and you have to replace players with other players of at least the same standard. We didn't do that.

As for the hardship fund - Speculating here, but if its an interest free loan with no hidden fees (and I obviously don't know the specific details) then surely you can make money from it? Although interest rates aren't that high, if you have £600k someone elses money and invest it wisely, you can make money for yourself, that you otherwise wouldn't.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 08:50:57 »

To be fair DV i am not seeing much of that now

Not now he’s Doncaster manager but the Wellens debate was in full flow when he was linked with a return.

A lot of people in this thread whilst not directly linking it to Wellens are calling bullshit on Jewell’s budget claim (which is very might well be) but he’s going to have more insight than fans who post on the internet
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #791 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 09:05:30 »

Reference whether the budget is as stipulated You have to say it's a very precise number he's quoting and not seemingly plucked out of thin air so who are we to disagree with what he's saying.

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #792 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 09:10:14 »

Back to the budget. There was a salary cap last season that applied to all clubs so how can there be a ‘pecking order’?
There was a salary cap in place, but not all clubs could even get near that cap, Accrington, Rochdale, and others, also several teams, Ipswich, Sunderland, Blackpool all blatantly ignored the cap which was why it was scrapped in January.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #793 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 09:12:57 »

This!!!

Despite Wellens making errors (thats nailed on), the mad fact is, that we still had hope to get out of the mess if Sheridactyl had been given the bullet and a few players brought in in January....we even had a slight glimmer if the useless turd had gone after the Gills debacle.

Thats down to Power and Jewell, end of.

NB - Hodgetts questioning is about as aggressive as Jimmy Young when he had a Tory on (for those old enough to remember).
Hodgetts did an ok interview. He asked a couple of pressing questions - About Sheridan and T Smith. I don't think you have to have a Piers Morgan confrontational interview to get answers. You just have to listen to the responses and read between the lines.

In this one it was that Jewell put our relegation down to the fact that the club's summer recruitment was flawed. We kept players that we should have offloaded and didn't have a plan B if we couldn't get our primary targets. We panicked and signed players without knowing whether they were any good. Furthermore, we ended up with a poor, lightweight and unbalanced squad and a farcical goalkeeping situation. Sheridan did his best in difficult personal circumstances. Looking ahead, the club is trying to learn from its mistakes. It wants to move quickly to rebuild. McGreal has good knowledge of players at this level and the opportunity to build from the ground up. We need the squad to have strength, speed and energy. It's up to McGreal, but sounded unlikely that any of those released will be asked back.

Quite how much of that is spin is up for debate. Bottom line is a clear out, a fresh start, and a rebuild. Hopefully with a manager who will bring players and a style of play that will excite the fans. 
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 09:17:11 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #794 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 09:28:29 »

Do we have scouts?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 ... 263   Go Up
Print
Jump to: