Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 263   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Power  (Read 527551 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 19:47:42 »

To be honest, I would not be surprised if we did have the 11th best budget. I remember people wondering in January just who was funding the transfers.

Reading between the lines, those comments from Jewell seem a tad critical of Wellens to me.
Indeed! I thought the interview was very interesting. I'm not going to write it all out again, but for me the key points were:

- Jewell accepted that there were a lot of mistakes made last year and everyone had to take some responsibility. But, at the same time he said he wasn't able to get as involved as he would have liked with recruitment last year due to illness, but that shouldn't be an issue this year
- McGreal will choose the players he wants. Jewell will give him his opinion and use his contacts where he can.
- Jewell seemingly blamed Wellens for keeping faith with some players that weren't up to L1 (The CBs and Grant?)
- Jewell also blamed Wellens for poor loan signings that weren't properly researched (Kovar? Stevens? Maybe the others too)
- Jewell again seemingly blamed Wellens for being lazy insomuch as only pursuing his number one targets in each position and not having a back up plan when the players either decided to go elsewhere (Woolery, Anderson, Yates and Doyle?) or the club wouldn't let them go (Benda?)
- Felt sorry for Sheridan, who was dealt a terrible hand both on the pitch (terrible side to manage) and off it (losing both parents within weeks)
« Last Edit: Monday, May 31, 2021, 19:50:56 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 19:53:28 »

Ah, the ‘blame the bloke who has gone’ defence.

There’s only one person responsible for last season and that’s the moron who appointed Sheridan and didn’t sack him when it was obvious to all he was nowhere near up to the task.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 20:28:14 »

So basically none of last season was Jewells fault whatsoever even though he has the position of DOF
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 20:32:29 »

Doesn't the manager have the final say on what players are bought the DOF is effectively the mediator between club and agents

So, give no fucks
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 20:58:40 »

No, in most modern clubs the director of football leads on recruitment. The ‘manager’ (an out of date term, head coach is more accurate) has a say but his job is primarily to make the bunch of players he has work

It means the whole squad doesn’t fall apart when you have to get a new manager, and you have an ongoing consistency on the football side of things

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 21:03:55 »

, and you have an ongoing consistency on the football side of things
let's hope not.

to be fair to Jewell, he did mention he has health issues that prevented him from doing the job properly.

that's said "it wasn't me" from a regime point of view doesn't stand. Sheridan was hopeless and no action was taken.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 21:08:41 »

Yeah, Jewell appears to be a bit of a token gesture as a dof. Luckily power doesn’t have a history of handing out cushty jobs and contracts to mates so you can’t speculate at any foul play in his appointment

Things get better but they never get good
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 21:10:02 »

No, in most modern clubs the director of football leads on recruitment. The ‘manager’ (an out of date term, head coach is more accurate) has a say but his job is primarily to make the bunch of players he has work

It means the whole squad doesn’t fall apart when you have to get a new manager, and you have an ongoing consistency on the football side of things

That would be some responsibility on Jewell if we're to believe he's only helping his buddy out rsyhrt than being employed by the club

So, give no fucks
Flashheart

« Reply #773 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 21:17:59 »

We don't know exactly what Jewell's role is. Just because 'most' clubs might do it a certain way it doesn't mean all are.

That's not to say I'm trying to make excuses for Jewell, I don't trust any of them, but...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 21:23:31 »

You've just hit the nail on the head Jewells role is not fully understood just the way Power likes to do his business

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 21:41:39 »

However, he can't blame Wellens for the utter cock up that was the January window (Masterson aside)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 21:42:14 »

Yeah, Jewell appears to be a bit of a token gesture as a dof. Luckily power doesn’t have a history of handing out cushty jobs and contracts to mates so you can’t speculate at any foul play in his appointment

Cheesy
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 22:29:52 »

Jewell said he is there to provide advice and support to the manager. He has experience to impart upon the manager, if the manager wishes to take it. He is there to support the manager and not manage the manager or force the manager to have players he doesn't want.

He said that there was collective responsibility and that he had to take some of the blame himself. He wasn't able to do more last year due to ill health, but he and the rest of the team need to learn from the mistakes of last year.

So, he admitted that he was partially responsible, but there were mitigating circumstances on his front.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #778 on: Monday, May 31, 2021, 22:34:27 »

At least he admitted he was partly responsible unlike Sherwood when he didn't even tell Williams what players he was signing

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #779 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 03:28:12 »

Back to the budget. There was a salary cap last season that applied to all clubs so how can there be a ‘pecking order’?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 263   Go Up
Print
Jump to: