Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Wray set to act on 'cheat' slur  (Read 13018 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:23:26 »

And he's right that it was a good piece about the way some clubs use Administration as a way of avoiding debts, but he chose the wrong peg to hang it off, meaning it went from "reasonably good if unoriginal article on financial doping in general" to "utter horseshit and massively libellous attack on totally the wrong target".

It's a pity more journalists don't take clubs to task for their financial mismanagement, as many clubs have done and gotten away with far worse than us. But the wrong target was chosen which is inexcusable given the ongoing problems at other clubs - Portsmouth would have been a suitable target for example.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:26:04 »

Portsmouth would have been a suitable target for example.

I'm not sure they are prospering from overspending any more.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:26:57 »

Quite so. A better target would be Leeds.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:29:24 »

For his sake, you'd have to hope David Emery has run that response past his lawyers, as he can only print a full retraction of that sort if he's already come to a resolution with the club. I suspect they've accepted to leave it at a printed apology. Not worth pursuing financial compensation from a small niche publication. TalkSport on the other hand...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:30:58 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:36:52 »

I'm not sure they are prospering from overspending any more.

Quite so. A better target would be Leeds.

I don't think Portsmouth have ever been held to account for what they did - buying success (and proper success, not just a crappy League Two trophy) with other peoples money. They are the prime example of a club living beyond it's means, getting success as a result and then using administration as a get out of jail card.

Sure Leeds did something very similar, but it was some time ago. The bigger issue with Leeds for me is them being sold for a pittance (a few pence in the pound I think) when there was obviously more value in the club, as shown by the massive profit Bates has made by selling the club recently.
moredonboy

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:41:56 »

I reported The Football League Paper to the Press Complaints Commission re the article.
Here is their response 

The Commission’s jurisdiction extends only to those newspapers and magazines that belong to one of the five publishers’ associations – the Newspaper Publishers’ Association, the Newspaper Society, the Scottish Daily Newspaper Society, the Scottish Publishers’ Association, and the Periodical Publishers’ Association – and that contribute to the Press Standards Board of Finance, the body which collects an industrial levy to fund self-regulation. More information about our funding is available on request and on our website.

While the vast majority of UK publications fall under our control, The Football League paper is not one of them.  It would therefore have no obligation to accept our decision on any complaint, or even to co-operate with our enquiries.

I am afraid that, in the circumstances, we are unable to assist you further in this matter. If you have not done so already, I would suggest that you contact the publication directly.

Good news anyway - all our emails to TFLP seem to have helped get the editor to do his job even if after the horse had bolted. Sad thing is - some damage has been done.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:47:54 »

I don't think Portsmouth have ever been held to account for what they did - buying success (and proper success, not just a crappy League Two trophy) with other peoples money. They are the prime example of a club living beyond it's means, getting success as a result and then using administration as a get out of jail card.
They've been used as a plaything by various dodgy gangster frontmen for years, they've dropped like a stone down the divisions, they've spent years on the brink of going bust, they've lost pretty much any assets of value, they've been in and out of court for years, and they're still on the verge of liquidation. They're still releasing even players signed on a month to month basis and even if they do avoid liquidation, they've got a further 10 point minimum deduction to come. To add to the others they've already had. And their downward descent isn't finished yet. But if they actually survive most of their fans would welcome points deductions and relegation with open arms, just to still have a club. Hardly "get out of jail".

Short of the FA burning Fratton Park to the ground and sowing the pitch with salt, not sure quite what further punishment you'd like.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:57:52 »

Short of the FA burning Fratton Park to the ground and sowing the pitch with salt, not sure quite what further punishment you'd like.

I'm not on about more punishment. From my view point very little emphasis was placed on what they achieved as a result of their financial mismanagement, which was at the expense of other clubs. The FA Cup win, qualifying for Europe and an extended stay in the Premier League were all stolen from other clubs which handled their finances in a better way. People go on about the impact on their fans, what about the impact on other clubs?

Though the same as with Leeds, I think there are some important questions that should be asked about the administration process which at best is a broken and flawed process, for football clubs at least.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 13:06:45 »

Nobodies mentioned Southampton, that was fishier than all of them.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 13:29:27 »

Nobodies mentioned Southampton, that was fishier than all of them.
There's a reason jonny dislikes Portsmouth so much ..... yeah, you're right, Southampton should be demoted two divisions at least
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 13:35:46 »

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/article/footballleaguepaper-613193.aspx

Apology received, damages paid. No sign of the horsewhipping though
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 13:45:18 »

Damn them!  Nothing wrong with the apology.  I'm going to have to have a grumble about the grammar on the Club website instead.

SWINDON Town Football Club have has today accepted the following apology from the Football League Paper following the article which appeared on Sunday 20th January.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 13:50:05 »

I'm not on about more punishment. From my view point very little emphasis was placed on what they achieved as a result of their financial mismanagement, which was at the expense of other clubs. The FA Cup win, qualifying for Europe and an extended stay in the Premier League were all stolen from other clubs which handled their finances in a better way. People go on about the impact on their fans, what about the impact on other clubs?
Well that's the point of the points deduction. However, you do raise an interesting point, all Saints-tinted glasses aside Smiley Portsmouth bought their FA Cup win effectively by financial doping. Should that be considered cheating (probably) and if so should they be stripped of that title? And if so, how would that be applied more generally? e.g. how far back do you go? Would it only be triggered by an insolvency event? etc etc
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 13:52:59 »

There's a reason jonny dislikes Portsmouth so much ..... yeah, you're right, Southampton should be demoted two divisions at least

Don't give a toss about football rivalries, well remembered though.

IIRC Southamptons debts were limited to a £5m bank overdraft and a £20m mortgage on their stadium. The bank were paid in full and the mortgage was settled for a one off payment (about £4m I think), so it was just them that lost out. I might be wrong but I can't remember any other debts that weren't settled in full. Though I always thought the way the mortgage was written down by so much so quickly looked a little dodgy.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 13:56:56 »

Damn them!  Nothing wrong with the apology.  I'm going to have to have a grumble about the grammar on the Club website instead.

SWINDON Town Football Club have has today accepted the following apology from the Football League Paper following the article which appeared on Sunday 20th January.

I know that's technically correct, but for some reason "have" seems to fit better in my head.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: