Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Franchise vs AFC Wimbledon  (Read 18072 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 17:07:25 »

Exactly, the chippenham suggestion was a mere glimpse of what it must Feel like.

It's not just Wimbledon fans that were shafted by Franchise existence either, but every club trying to gain league status the proper way were kicked in the teeth when the fa and fl said it was ok just to buy a league spot not earn it
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 17:17:34 »

Exactly, the chippenham suggestion was a mere glimpse of what it must Feel like.

It's not just Wimbledon fans that were shafted by Franchise existence either, but every club trying to gain league status the proper way were kicked in the teeth when the fa and fl said it was ok just to buy a league spot not earn it

To be fair to the FL they actually said 'No', but Koppel (the chairman of the old Wimbledon at the time) went to the FA, who convened a 3 man 'indepenent' panel, who voted 2-1 in favour of the move.

What sticks in the throats of Wimbledon fans was the statement saying that a fans club 'wouldn't be in the interests of football'.

AFC stuck 2 fingers up to that and did it anyway.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #77 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 17:40:19 »

Am I the only who doesn't care? Wimbledon need to relocate so they did to Milton Keynes. So what. A new club is started. It's all getting a bit tedious with all this plastic shit.

The sad truth is, the longer they are in existence the more and more people will have a view like this. Sooner or later there will be a whole new generation of fans who won't even know the history of pre-franchise Wimbledon.

The more and more this happens, the more and more MK become a 'legitimate' team. If there wasn't an AFC Wimbledon, or one several tiers below the football league I think a lot less people would 'let it go'. The fact that 'oh it's ok, they have a football team now' doesn't make what happened right.

I remember the Trust meeting at the Moonrakers, I don't think the club's representatives realised how strongly opposed many fans would be. We should stick the new stadium up at Blunsdon, I hear there are a variety of excellent pubs all the way from Taw Hill up to the top of Thamesdown Drive. The prime location will be worth it for a shiny new, half-empty stadium and perhaps one more season in the top flight.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 17:42:27 by Simon Pieman » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 17:43:19 »

I think a lot of people re-write history and have a nostalgic view of the old Wimbledon being a small friendly, family run club that everyone loved, backed by massive support that was ripped from the heart of the community. The reality is that Wimbledon were a shitty little poorly supported club that most other people hated and that a lot of people, especially the local council, didn't give a fuck about and didn't care less when it was moved. Even when they were in the Premier League their attendances were poor and the only reason they were half decent was the away fans outnumbering home fans most weeks.

The whole thing is fucking boring and everyone needs to move on. MK have handed back the clubs history, Wimbledon need to say what else they want so it can finally be put to rest - maybe MK removing the Dons from their name. Besides it hasn't worked out that badly for Wimbledon, they've got a small community run club that is surviving financially playing in the Football League. I'd say they've got a far better club than the one that was taken to MK.

You can argue that MK stole their place in the Football League but I don't think what they've done is any worse than all the clubs that have their place as a result of over spending and then going through administration and a CVA. Portsmouth spent other peoples money to stay in the Premier League and have decent cup runs, same as stealing it as far as I'm concerned, yet no one views them in the same light as MK.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #79 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 17:59:35 »

I think a lot of people re-write history and have a nostalgic view of the old Wimbledon being a small friendly, family run club that everyone loved, backed by massive support that was ripped from the heart of the community. The reality is that Wimbledon were a shitty little poorly supported club that most other people hated and that a lot of people, especially the local council, didn't give a fuck about and didn't care less when it was moved. Even when they were in the Premier League their attendances were poor and the only reason they were half decent was the away fans outnumbering home fans most weeks.

The whole thing is fucking boring and everyone needs to move on. MK have handed back the clubs history, Wimbledon need to say what else they want so it can finally be put to rest - maybe MK removing the Dons from their name. Besides it hasn't worked out that badly for Wimbledon, they've got a small community run club that is surviving financially playing in the Football League. I'd say they've got a far better club than the one that was taken to MK.

You can argue that MK stole their place in the Football League but I don't think what they've done is any worse than all the clubs that have their place as a result of over spending and then going through administration and a CVA. Portsmouth spent other peoples money to stay in the Premier League and have decent cup runs, same as stealing it as far as I'm concerned, yet no one views them in the same light as MK.

First paragraph could apply to a lot of teams, particularly Swindon Town (aside from the family club thing I guess).

If Swindon were moved to South Hampshire and re-branded 'Eastleigh Robins' there is no fucking way any of us would be happy about it. I guess it would be ok though, we could all support Supermarine, it'd probably work out fine. Fuck that!

I guess for a lot of people, they won't let it go because shit like this spoils everything about being a football fan.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:02:12 »

There is NO argument in favour of MKD in my opinion

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Flashheart

« Reply #81 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:09:15 »

Completely and utterly irrelevant. They could have been the best or the worst team on the planet. What happened was wrong. End of. 
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:14:25 »

That was spin peddled by Sam Hammam, after selling Plough Lane, and pocketing the money himself, and refused to pay for a new stadium. Plough Lane was original council property, which was donated to the club years previously. He then told stories about Merton not being co-operative, etc, and then said they were going to Dublin, when it was all BS.

He found 2 gullible multi-millionaire Norweigans to sell the club to (again pocketing millions), despite the club having very few assets.

« Last Edit: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:21:08 by Summerof69 » Logged

BAZINGA !!

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:20:26 »

I guess for a lot of people, they won't let it go because shit like this spoils everything about being a football fan.

I've lost count of the number of things that are allegedly wrong with the game, destroying the game and spoiling it for real football fans; Franchise, high wages, UEFA, Sepp Blatter, the influx of foreign players, the Premier League, Sky TV, all seater stadium, the Champions League, FIFA, the influx of foreign owners, match officials and the lack of TV replays, the offside rule and the list goes on.

What spoils it for me is all the moaning cunts that won't shut up and always find something new to moan about.

Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:22:29 »

There is NO argument in favour of MKD in my opinion

MKD only exist due to the ASDA next door as they got a stadium out of it.

BAZINGA !!

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #85 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:31:17 »

What spoils it for me is all the moaning cunts that won't shut up and always find something new to moan about.

Perhaps you shouldn't read internet discussion boards.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:38:12 »

What about the moaning cunts moaning about the moaning cunts moaning?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 18:53:11 »

Wimbledon fans are a disgrace. They let their club die without a fight, they were shit supporters in 94 and they're shit today.

The fact that they've lined the pockets of franchise by attending today says it all.

This is the irony of today. MK had the place packed and the cameras there. The franchise model actually thrived on the whole "rivalry" There's was only going to be one winner today and sadly it was always going to be Franchise regardless of the result on the pitch.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 21:36:47 »

Have to say my post earlier was just a 'devil's advocate' one.  I have some sympathy for the proper dons, and a lot of dislike border line hatred of MKD.

I did wonder during the match whether today would be the day that MK grew up into a 'proper' football club.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 22:20:11 »

I have to say I enjoyed the AFC Wimbledon equaliser today, shame they couldn't do over those Franchi$e bastads on the pitch! I did have a chuckle at the contimination: franchi$e masks a few of the AFC fans were wearing in and around the ground today!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: