Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Apologise or get out  (Read 55238 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 00:00:37 »

After it (not on the above clip) John Motson said he has some man love (my words) going on for Paolo. Making the point that everyone says we need characters in the game to make it interesting and it's hypocritical if we then have a go at them when it all blows up and turns to shit.
And in the above clip, Chapman also makes the comparison with other "characters" such as Steve Evans and Graham Westley who also put people's backs up but get promotions so "it works" (his quote, not mine).

And yes Wray comes across really well.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 00:07:17 by pauld » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 02:01:27 »

I think Paolos messages was support the team or go and watch Oxford not don't question me or go watch Oxford - although I don't think he expressed it perfectly.

...In a way he's right - don't boo the players/subs/tactics, support the team.

Over re-active mongs Smiley
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 05:23:51 »

A very good post in response to The Sam Morshead column, on the Adver site:

"Nah, Sam, youre wrong - we DO want spats, squabbles and tirades......but from the opposition.

The gleeful response of the Preston fans to what happened on Sunday says it all - they knew that we had imploded after 20 minutes and there was no way on this earth that we were going to take anything out of the game. The further interviews with Preston players on the net shows they and their fans were absolutely scared of playing us, and expected a tougher game, and are delighted to heaven and back to see us leave with nothing.
The further glee displayed by Oxford fans looking forward to playing a team in total disarray has been galling to have to read on the net in the last 24 hours. Hopefully now they will be back to where they should be - afraid of getting stuffed.
We all love an eventful game - its what we go to football for - we'd just rather it wasnt us that was ridiculed on Sky Sports every 15 minutes last night and most of the day today.

Hopefully all involved have learned lessons about "dirty laundry" and "airing in public" - its not a good look. Hopefully both parties have matured a little bit and will now keep their differences where they should be kept - behind closed doors

Some of the obsolute idiots posting total tosh on this and other sites in the last 24 hours need a bit of a reality check as well.
We dont need to sack the manager - we dont need a new keeper. The pair of them are the best respectively we have had for some time. Lets enjoy them doing what they do best...."

It's All Good..............
Dozno9

« Reply #318 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 05:54:10 »

Apart from all the other stuff, that is. Or maybe you only read the threads about him?

Pauld does post on other stuff he just chooses to post on PDC threads when things go wrong.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 06:03:44 »

Pauld does post on other stuff he just chooses to post on PDC threads when things go wrong.

You mean he chooses to post on the most topical threads? The scoundrel!
Dozno9

« Reply #320 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 06:12:42 »

Ok, I'm not the only one to say something on Paul's self imposed exile on all things PDC suddenly ending am I? The timing of his return to PDC threads could have been better given his known personal views on PDC.

Perhaps is all just coincidence.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 06:23:57 »

But that's the thing, he has been posting in other threads too recently. I think it's just that people are only noticing him in these ones as they know he has reservations (putting it mildly) about Paolo.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 07:09:32 »

Ok, I'm not the only one to say something on Paul's self imposed exile on all things PDC suddenly ending am I? The timing of his return to PDC threads could have been better given his known personal views on PDC.
That's a fair point Azza. FWIW, I've tried (probably not terribly successfully) to set aside my personal feelings about the man, to examine his behaviour in this as a manager. Which does weight it slightly toward the negative - I don't think anyone thinks he's come out of this well. But I obviously do accept there's a credit side in promotion at a gallop, positive football, the sheer balls the team have shown in the cups etc to offset that. I'd hoped there were signs he was also learning from his mistakes (as I think JW was suggesting on R5 last night) e.g. in very quickly correcting the poor signings at the start of last season. He's still got some way to go in that clearly, and how costly it proves to be and whether we can afford it are yet to be seen.

In the meantime, I don't think it's unreasonable for I and others to point out his behaviour over the past two days (because it did continue into yesterday with the McMahnio rant at fans) has been appalling and more befitting of a teenager than a grown man, much less one who is the very public figurehead of our club. If as JW seems to think he is learning from those mistakes all to the good, it will perhaps mean he can carve out a career as a manager. If he can't, I don't think he'll be able to sustain it long-term, here or anywhere. But we'll see.

And FWIW, I suspect the Wes thing is patched up (very skillfully by JW) rather than over.
Dozno9

« Reply #323 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 07:30:22 »

Paul, good post.

FWIW I have some serious man love for Wray.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 07:33:14 »

He's a bit balding for my tastes but I know what you mean Smiley He must have been tearing his hair out (metaphorically) several times over the past year or so but he does the "swan" public demeanour thing incredibly well

And thanks btw.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 08:03:53 »

If you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend everyone takes a look at the latest article on the Washbag.

Paolo di Canio's Uncertainty Principle

If there is a better summing up of the big man's approach out there, I'll be amazed.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 08:07:36 »

Paul, good post.

Jeremy Wray is brilliant.

FACT!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 08:10:03 »

When is he contracted until?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #328 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 08:16:45 »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned....

There was a 15 minute section on the 'incident' on Radio 5's Monday Night Club tonight including an interview with Wray. Available on iPlayer (starts at 1h39m);

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01mdgqq/5_live_Sport_The_Monday_Night_Club_03_09_2012/

After it (not on the above clip) John Motson said he has some man love (my words) going on for Paolo. Making the point that everyone says we need characters in the game to make it interesting and it's hypocritical if we then have a go at them when it all blows up and turns to shit.
Thanks for that, interesting listening.

Jeremy Wray is without doubt the best chairman we have ever had IMO.

As for the characters thing, I have had mates who support Liverpool, Pompey, Saints, Cardiff and Spurs come up to me and say that they love Paolo, they love characters and football does need more characters, but all of them say they wouldn't want him managing them because they would tear their hair out at times.......this is what we have.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #329 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 08:19:05 »

Oh and Steve Claridge is still an utter cock.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: