Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737581 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1830 on: Sunday, April 19, 2015, 22:31:51 »

Although Bennett will probably be able to give you advice about the Downs, his Strava would suggest he seems to have gotten a love of hills. The nutter.
Its only because he is trying to emulate me - Im his mentor, guru and all time cycling hero!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1831 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 05:45:43 »

Although Bennett will probably be able to give you advice about the Downs, his Strava would suggest he seems to have gotten a love of hills. The nutter.

Got. It's got.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1832 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 05:53:11 »

Its only because he is trying to emulate me - Im his mentor, guru and all time cycling hero!
I was wearing nearly all black yesterday Smiley

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1833 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 09:45:22 »

Nothing wrong with a love of hills. You can't beat a bit of serious uppage- rapidly followed by a bit of rapidly descending.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1834 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 11:06:39 »

I cycled to Marlborough and back today, a shade under 30 miles. It was quite pleasant, but are there any other similar routes around as I'd like to go slightly further afield?

I don't mind A roads as long as the traffic has ample space to overtake.

I was up at the weekend for the game and went out Sunday - Did Swindon - Liddington - Towards Uffington then up over the hill to Lambourn - Aldbourne - Oggie - home.

There are plently of routes out Uffington Way the bring you back through Highworth - good quiet roads too.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1835 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 11:11:09 »

JGiaA has missed the all important point though - what bike have you got?
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1836 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 11:26:26 »

So this is a question for you bike mechanics and fettlers out there.....

I have a Felt road bike (with less than 1500 miles on it) with carbon fork and steerer coupled with an FSA headset. Recently I stripped it down, cleaned and greased and also replaced the brakes (upgraded to 105). I was very careful in taking it apart and even downloaded the FSA instructions when I put in back together again.

Now when I brake under quite a lot of force - say at the bottom of hill after doing 30+mph I get quite a lot of vibration and also over bumpy surfaces. I checked, taken in apart and rechecked, tightened again and again but there still seems to be a bit of play in it, more so than my alu/carbon fork on my Trek which has none.

Either I am being neurotic as maybe it was like it before or I'm doubting my ability or there is something amiss. The fork doesn't have a crown race, which is common on carbon fork/steerers apparently (or so I've read) but I'd really welcome anyone’s advice or guidance (apart from 4D's usual unfunny sarcasm)

Cheers
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1837 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:27:54 »

So you have good tension on the top cap before torqueing the stem bolts onto the steerer?

Have you left a spacer above the stem? My mechanics all say a carbon steerer needs a spacer on top of the stem before tightening the top cap.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1838 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:49:59 »

So you have good tension on the top cap before torqueing the stem bolts onto the steerer?

Yes - Doubled triple checked this

Have you left a spacer above the stem? My mechanics all say a carbon steerer needs a spacer on top of the stem before tightening the top cap.

No, havent tried this yet. Thanks
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #1839 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:54:26 »

Not a bad view of the Alps from the second Biergarten on our first sunny shortish trip (45km) in 2015.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129536

I'm in a cycle group in Munich, whose ethos is "an hour in the saddle, an hour in the Biergarten". We cycle most Sundays in the year, starting in April. We take a local train at around 9am, 20-40km to wherever, then cycle 40-75km to a different station for our return trip, getting back 6-10pm, depending on the weather and how long we stop at the last Biergareten  Pint If there is a lake on the route there will be a swim stop. It has been known for the whole group (after a Schnapps or three) to be skinny dipping.

Not such a good view of your correspondent...

« Last Edit: Monday, April 20, 2015, 15:06:40 by Munichred » Logged
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #1840 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 15:12:15 »

Another one...

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1841 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 15:26:36 »

A very sound ethos.  Back in the days when Sunday hours were 12-2, then close until 7. Had an informal group, who'd set off around 10, get to chosen pub out in the sticks for maybe an hours or so drinking then cycle back powered by beer.

Bit of a kip and maybe some grub, to be ready for opening again back in Swindon.

I've done 40Km s'afternoon....might treat myself to a pint or two later.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1842 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 17:57:37 »

Nothing wrong with a love of hills. You can't beat a bit of serious uppage- rapidly followed by a bit of rapidly descending.
This was in proper bandit country, with far too many narrow lanes with loose gravel to let the brakes go.
https://www.strava.com/activities/288453003

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1843 on: Monday, April 20, 2015, 21:42:37 »

That is a damned impressive profile mate.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1844 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 06:38:33 »

This was in proper bandit country, with far too many narrow lanes with loose gravel to let the brakes go.
https://www.strava.com/activities/288453003
Oi! You be bloody careful - That's my old fackin manor! :-/

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: