Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737627 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1095 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 09:56:53 »

thanks for the replies chaps, i quite fancy getting a turbo trainer for evenings/shit weather but haven't really got a clue whether to go for wind/air/fluid.
has anyone seen a good trainer at a good price?
Ah the endless "if I just pay a bit more debate". I've got a tacx satori. Magnet resistance with shifter that fits on handle bars. Its absolutely perfect for what I want - I'd like a better one linked to a pc which automatically controls resistance but that's well above my price range and level of seriousness (and motivation)

I use it once/twice a week during shit weather months - a telly in front of you is a must have though as it is incredibly dull.  I have an old MTB on it so I don't have to keep changing bikes over. I would suggest it is practical and better to have a proper turbo tyre unless you have some old tyres you are happy to ruin. The back wheel does have to be Quick Release (Tacx provide you with a stronger QR skewer) - I bought a spare back wheel off ebay for convenience.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-satori-pro-trainer-training-mat-dvd/

Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 10:10:04 »

cheers bewster.
i might buy a second hand one from ebay and see if i use it and start saving up the pennies for a decent one if i use it (£200 seems a bit of an investment)

i'm currently obtaining (perfectly legally i assure you) some sufferfest training vids i plan to watch with my hypothetical trainer.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 10:33:52 »

I think buying second hand for something you'll use max twice a week for 3 months say is a good way to go. Plus if you've kept your old wheels you'll be spared that expense. I bought a cheap bike computer with cadence sensor when I stopped using my main bike.

I can let you have the Chrissie Wellington/AudioFuel training MP3's as well if you like (perfectly legally lending)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 10:56:26 »

When I lived in the US we used to fling the bikes on the back of the car and drive 30-50 miles to different places in the Rockies where there were nice (mostly flat) concreted cycle path loops around scenic features (usually lakes but often spectacular views of the Rockies). We'd decant and ride for a couple of hours or so (up to 20 miles) and then come home again.

Is there anywhere like that round Glos/Wilts/Avon that's worth doing? (I was just looking at Bath to Bristol but I think its currently flooded)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 11:16:02 »

When I lived in the US we used to fling the bikes on the back of the car and drive 30-50 miles to different places in the Rockies where there were nice (mostly flat) concreted cycle path loops around scenic features (usually lakes but often spectacular views of the Rockies). We'd decant and ride for a couple of hours or so (up to 20 miles) and then come home again.

Is there anywhere like that round Glos/Wilts/Avon that's worth doing? (I was just looking at Bath to Bristol but I think its currently flooded)

I've posted this before, but the Forest of Dean has a good network of tracks.....graded at family, which is a bit flatter and easier to the sort of thing which might challenge.

I hired bikes from a place called Pedalabikeaway, quite a few years back, and it's still there which shows the popularity.

Just as an after thought, a mate of mine back in the autumn cycled to the Gower....I told him about a decent route out Chepstow way, going over the Severn on the old bridge, and muttered something about some decent old railway lines in the S Wales valleys, which I'd stumbled on years ago...he ended up following a Sustrans route from near Chepstow to Swansea. Some of it is off road, but like all Sustrans routes some of it inevitably goes into urban areas and round the houses, but he was particularly taken by pedalling through Port Talbot. The route then heads off to ultimately Fishguard, via Pembrokeshire.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/celtic-trail-east
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 11:39:06 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 12:34:45 »

Many thanks. I thought all the FoD trails were dirt trails, which is not what I wanted.

I often get a day off in the week and thought about driving somewhere with the bike in the back of the car and having a ride in which I wouldn't get filthy.

Will look in more detail.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 12:59:53 »

Many thanks. I thought all the FoD trails were dirt trails, which is not what I wanted.

I often get a day off in the week and thought about driving somewhere with the bike in the back of the car and having a ride in which I wouldn't get filthy.

Will look in more detail.

Properly metaled cycle paths in Britain, are, pardon the pun, thin on the ground. Your best bet then is to go somewhere relatively empty for GB and do a route of lanes. For example, I recall sticking the bike on the train to Abergavenny,  and doing a loop of the Black Mountains....up through Llanthony and Capel-y-ffin to Hay, then back on the English side through Longtown, which is proper land that time forgot, to re-enter Wales at Llanfihangel Crucorney.

You can get to Abergavenny in a bit over an hour by car from Swindon.
REDBUCK

« Reply #1102 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 13:47:42 »

Depends where you are but the New Forest is not bad for a cycle.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 14:39:22 »

Depends where you are but the New Forest is not bad for a cycle.

It's surprisingly lumpy
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 19:35:38 »

this seems like a good package deal...
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_974171_langId_-1_categoryId_229901

need to look for cheap ones instead though

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 19:57:36 »

Looks like a good deal
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 20:17:48 »

One for £139 and another for £59 on Ebay (both 'New-Other')

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: Friday, February 21, 2014, 13:21:47 »

I am of the opinion that if you buy cheap you buy twice. Look for Tacx, Elite, Minoura on ebay or see if there are any deals currently being done.

http://www.merlincycles.com/tacx-t-1820-magnetic-trainer-59140.html
« Last Edit: Friday, February 21, 2014, 13:27:53 by Bewster » Logged
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: Friday, February 21, 2014, 13:38:19 »

I've had my belt drive bike for a few weeks now, it's great for riding to work and not getting covered in grease, not looking forward to a rear wheel puncture though
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: Friday, February 21, 2014, 13:42:19 »

I've had my belt drive bike for a few weeks now, it's great for riding to work and not getting covered in grease, not looking forward to a rear wheel puncture though

what did you go for ?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: