Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737624 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 11:47:04 »

Not sure you would see many benefits from replacing them if they are ok, shifting well and not slipping. If they are in good nick, clean and well lubed they should be fine. They tend to wear out together so even thought the teeth are worn and the chain is stretched they fit well together.

Personally Id wait until they start causing trouble and then replace as part of a service along with the cables

Also bear in mind the time of year, I always feel a little cheated if I replace a chain/cassette at this time of year as it will wear and get shit up over winter, always nice to start spring with shiny new chain cassette.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 12:39:15 »

Also bear in mind the time of year, I always feel a little cheated if I replace a chain/cassette at this time of year as it will wear and get shit up over winter, always nice to start spring with shiny new chain cassette.

Ha ha - I'm glad its not just me !!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 18:46:15 »

Ha ha - I'm glad its not just me !!

Nope that's why I have a new chain an cassette sat in the cellar waiting for spring, will keep the old when move over to winter wheels in next week or so and then will get Racing 5's shod with new cassette for next year.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 18:53:12 »

So what cassettes would you you recommend? I've only had the one that came with the MTB, which is a SRAM Powerglide II 11-34T.

All I want to do is get a good work out cycling (mostly on the flat) for 8 miles each way to and from work.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 19:25:13 »

So what cassettes would you you recommend? I've only had the one that came with the MTB, which is a SRAM Powerglide II 11-34T.

All I want to do is get a good work out cycling (mostly on the flat) for 8 miles each way to and from work.

I always find the easiest option is to replace like for like but improve the quality - you can't really go far wrong with Shimano or Sram.  Are you going to do it yourself ? How many gears on the cassette?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 19:27:32 »

I always find the easiest option is to replace like for like but improve the quality - you can't really go far wrong with Shimano or Sram.  Are you going to do it yourself ? How many gears on the cassette?
There are 9. Watched someone on Youtube and didn't look too difficult. So will borrow tools off a mate and give it a go.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 19:31:48 »

Do any of you gentlemen own a work stand, I am thinking Park Tools PCS10 but not sure if I can justify the extra over a PCS9 - any suggestions/ideas?
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 20:07:43 »

I have a Tacx - was about £120 4 years ago - worth paying the extra for quality in my view. Don't want anything flimsy that could drop your expensive bike. I cant find mine online anymore but it has 3 legs for extra stability

You want something stable and once you have it it'll get a lot more use than you think so in my view its worth the extra. I am always tinkering/cleaning
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 08:06:36 »

I'm taking two MTB's to the tip today  Sad
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 08:30:16 »

There are 9. Watched someone on Youtube and didn't look too difficult. So will borrow tools off a mate and give it a go.

Its quite straight forward as long as you have the tools - chain whip, locking nut remover and spanner.

Good range here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/mtb/cassettes-freewheels/

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cassettes?f=2258,4294963681
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 11:12:23 »

Thanks Bewster. Surprised at the prices. thought they would be v expensive. Am thinking this will do:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cs-hg50-9-speed-cassette/

People say its heavy, but I'm only commuting on a MTB and not racing. Am I missing something?

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 11:21:58 »

Its quite straight forward as long as you have the tools - chain whip, locking nut remover and spanner.

Good range here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/mtb/cassettes-freewheels/

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cassettes?f=2258,4294963681

Don't know if its on-line or just in store but Evans have 3 for 2 on their tools at the moment.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 11:24:59 »

People say its heavy, but I'm only commuting on a MTB and not racing. Am I missing something?

Don't think you're missing anything. Cassettes are reasonably cheaper until you start to go for the machined ones that are lighter etc
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #778 on: Thursday, October 24, 2013, 16:09:37 »

Took a minor tumble on the way back from work this morning. Bit bruised, but mostly embarrassed that I lost balance couldn't get my cleat out to put my foot down. Really pissed off that I broke my 3rd Eye mirror. Got it sellotaped up for trip tonight, but cant get a replacement from Amazon for upto 18 days.

Not pleased!

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #779 on: Thursday, October 24, 2013, 16:19:52 »

have you tried anywhere else ?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: