Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737312 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 16:43:11 »

As a middle aged fat bloke with dodgy knees, I'm trying to cycle to and from work a few times per week to lose a bit of weight and thought it would be cool to set myself targets.

My normal 'loose' target has been to get to work in about 35-40 mins and, when I get on a main stretch to go no slower than 23mph and try an get over 30mph every now and again. But I've noticed that I am starting to get lazy and getting a 'that'll do' attitude when I start to get tired.

I've got a really cheap, 10 year old bike computer, which records speed, time etc, but was reading today about Garmin's etc. I don't think I can justify the cost of something like an 810, as I only travel the same route and am not really fit enough to do much more.

I then read about Strava and saw that you could download an app to your phone and get the phone to track your movements then upload it to a website. I thought I could try this and then race myself every day.

Do any of you have experience of these types of apps or bike computers? If so, what would you recommend in my situation?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 17:41:58 »

NMH - I have got a Garmin 500 which is just superb. It does all the usual - speed, distance, time, heart rate, cadence, calories, direction, lap and so many more. You can then upload the ride to Garmin Connect, Strava, MapMyRide etc to analyse it.

It has a virtual training partner so you can use a course or map a route - in your case to work and then enter a speed you wish to complete it in, then start off and race the virtual partner.

They don't come cheap but it is fantastic. Try HandTec.com
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 17:51:11 »

Maybe worth trying Strava out on your phone first. If you like the 'features' like being able to see all kinds of different stats, average speeds, top speeds, PBs over certain segments etc. then it'll give you a good feel for it.

I used to use it a lot, then gave up because my phone got old and shit and it started really draining the battery. I think once I get the roadie I'll be investing in a Garmin.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 18:30:14 »

Defo not double, either compact or triple. If you are a decent biker of reasonable fitness I'd go compact. Around Swindon the only time you'd need a triple is Ogbourne - Aldbourne Hill

Have you found a bike then Sam ?

Totally agree with this get a compact.  I have got a triple and it's fine but would like to upgrade and it's whole new group set.  The thing I find is when I ride with people on compacts it feels shameful to use the granny ring so find myself trying to keep pace with them on the middle ring even though the bottom on that is a lot higher that bottom on a compact.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 18:33:50 »

Maybe worth trying Strava out on your phone first. If you like the 'features' like being able to see all kinds of different stats, average speeds, top speeds, PBs over certain segments etc. then it'll give you a good feel for it.

I used to use it a lot, then gave up because my phone got old and shit and it started really draining the battery. I think once I get the roadie I'll be investing in a Garmin.

I must admit I only use strava on my phone,  got a wireless computer for speed etc but battery doesn't last long so tend to just do by feel and upload at end.  Would like a garmin but with the ankle biter can't really justify the cost at the moment.

Plus without the computer telling me present speed whilst I ride I don't have to see how slowly I was grovelling in the lakes on Saturday.... No legs and not a good ride!
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 18:44:01 »

The thing I find is when I ride with people on compacts it feels shameful to use the granny ring so find myself trying to keep pace with them on the middle ring even though the bottom on that is a lot higher that bottom on a compact.

This!! Except when they have to get off and walk when you still have extra gears  Grin

I managed to win a Go Pro Helmet Cam which I sold and funded my Garmin. Have to say though I wouldn't be without it.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 19:11:07 »

That Ribble bike builder is extremely tempting for all the upgrades.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 19:18:57 »

Their frames are made by Dedidiacci (sic) so good quality, but the builder does get the price up. Been tempted myself.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 19:19:10 »

Its great, gives you a good indication of price points and what you can get.

Good bikes as well. Pity you can't deselect items.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 19:40:33 »

Thanks chaps. Havrnt looked at the difference between Garmin 500, 510, 800 etc, but see they aint cheap! Is there a cheaper version? Whats the Cadence stuff for?

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 19:46:38 »

Its great, gives you a good indication of price points and what you can get.

Good bikes as well. Pity you can't deselect items.

Just priced up one of the sportive frames at a tad over £700 with Tiagra and Shimano R501s. Dangerously close to buying.

On the other hand, if this Merida didn't have crappy 8 speed Sora I'd buy it in an instant with the Alex R450 rims (only 470g!).

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Race-Lite-900-2013-Road-Bike_55257.htm
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 20:15:33 »

Thanks chaps. Havrnt looked at the difference between Garmin 500, 510, 800 etc, but see they aint cheap! Is there a cheaper version? Whats the Cadence stuff for?
I use a Garmin Edge 200. I think that was the base model when I bought it. Doesn't do cadence or heart rate, but you can do the virtual training partner that Bewster mentioned above. About £100 new, £50-60 on ebay.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 20:26:49 »

The edge 200 is the cheaper version, no hrm  or cadence. Cadence is good for training  or turbo sessions.

Depends what is important to you.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 20:33:04 »

Just priced up one of the sportive frames at a tad over £700 with Tiagra and Shimano R501s. Dangerously close to buying.

On the other hand, if this Merida didn't have crappy 8 speed Sora I'd buy it in an instant with the Alex R450 rims (only 470g!).

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Race-Lite-900-2013-Road-Bike_55257.htm

That's got the shifters that are below sora. The good thing about Ribble is that you can spec up the bike with exactly what you want/can afford.

Don't forget you'll need pedals/shoes. Wiggle DHB shoes are a good start with basic shimano SPD SL
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 21:23:56 »

Think I'll give the Strava app a go. I think I'll be able to use that to record the ride and upload it. I'll then stick with my 10 year old Sigma to see what speed I'm doing.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: