Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737664 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:04:10 »

Also the groupset seems a little confused, Shimano Sram XT???

I noticed this too. Sounds like it is a mixture of SRAM/Shimano - probably SRAM Chainset/Cassestte with shimano shifters/mechs. I am surprised to see XT on a bike that was £700 new though.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:07:34 »

Similarly the fork on my old Stumpy seized up and it was cheaper to replace than repair as it was only a cheap forrk anyway. Got a cheap Manitou Black fork which was great, albeit a little higher than the one I replaced, it was all a litttle 'easy rider' after that!

I went for Rock Shox Tora 302 - which have the remote lockout facility and adjustable rebound (?) (don't ask me - it says it on the box ). My MTB isn't my pride and joy so I wasn't unduly fussed but for the sake of an extra £50 over what would have been a like for like replcement I thought it was worth it. And it seems that way.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:13:03 »

adjustable rebound (?) (don't ask me - it says it on the box ).

Adjusts the harshness of the damping. You want to set it right so that it's not so soft that the front's bobbing away all the time, but it's not so hard that it almost launches the bike (and you) into the air when it rebounds.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:21:54 »

Adjusts the harshness of the damping. You want to set it right so that it's not so soft that the front's bobbing away all the time, but it's not so hard that it almost launches the bike (and you) into the air when it rebounds.
Cheers Sam.

Something that has struck me a lot recently as I've upgraded bits and bobs on both road and mountain bikes is the quality of the finishing kit that you don't necessarily look for (i.e. not drive chain or frame) can be utterly shoddy. Take my recent example, both forks and headset were, for want of a better word, fucked. I know that manufacturers have to meet price points and this is where they save but the quality of the replacements is way above the originals.

I googled how to service my old forks and came across instructions that said:

1.   Remove forks
2.   Throw in bin
3.   Buy new forks
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:32:21 »

Not sure this has been posted amongst all the boy's toys spec stuff, but I use this place for the bits and pieces I need.

http://www.recycles-swindon.co.uk/about-recycles.php
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:48:55 »

So, I'm trying to commute on my trusty Trek. I added a butt & gut fender plus a fender bender to try to reduce some of the crap being thrown off the road in the wet. I got caught in the residue of the big thunderstorms this week and found my little bits of plastic did a pretty good job. Now I'm looking at getting a better and more waterproof rucksack. I want to be seen in the dark and want to carry my work clothes, towel, toiletries and my lunch. I also don't want to pay a fortune. Any recommendations?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:54:16 »

So, I'm trying to commute on my trusty Trek. I added a butt & gut fender plus a fender bender to try to reduce some of the crap being thrown off the road in the wet. I got caught in the residue of the big thunderstorms this week and found my little bits of plastic did a pretty good job. Now I'm looking at getting a better and more waterproof rucksack. I want to be seen in the dark and want to carry my work clothes, towel, toiletries and my lunch. I also don't want to pay a fortune. Any recommendations?

Stick all the clothes etc in a bin bag, and put bin bag in rucksack. Get a high viz work thing.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:55:39 »

Why not get a cover  : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/respro-waterproof-hump-rucksack-cover/
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 09:00:18 »

I've been using shopping bags inside my rucksack. They work, but the rucksack is a bit small, so I need to get something a little bit bigger. That's why I ruled out a cover too.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 09:02:29 »

I've been using shopping bags inside my rucksack. They work, but the rucksack is a bit small, so I need to get something a little bit bigger. That's why I ruled out a cover too.

Fair enough : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/rucksacks/ - plenty of choice and lots of reviews.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 17:37:52 »

Fair play to the organisers of the RideLondon event...(even Boris Johnson)...20,000 people cycling 100 miles.  Thumb

Back in the day, there used to be the Great Swindon(Thamesdown) Bike Ride....I did it for several years...used to start off from Lydiard, or Coate...one year Highworth School and do either 35 or 50 miles. I kind of gave up when they messed about with  aride to Bath that involved an overnight stop...
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 17:43:08 »

Having not managed to get a place in the ballot I glumly watched on from the sofa this morning, trying to spot the jersey of a mate who did get a spot, only to read that 5000 didn't finish?!

Maybe next year...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 19:31:58 »

Fair play to the organisers of the RideLondon event...(even Boris Johnson)...20,000 people cycling 100 miles.  Thumb

Back in the day, there used to be the Great Swindon(Thamesdown) Bike Ride....I did it for several years...used to start off from Lydiard, or Coate...one year Highworth School and do either 35 or 50 miles. I kind of gave up when they messed about with  aride to Bath that involved an overnight stop...

I'd imagine those penny farthings were quite quick, what with having that huge front wheel Smiley
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 11:33:57 »

Hmm... what say you, cycling aficionados of the TEF:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/corratec-dolomiti-105-limited-edition-road-bike-2013/rp-prod91544

Seems like a lot of bike for that money. Not the best wheels, but at a snip under 9kg it seems good value for money.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 11:45:27 »

Hmm... what say you, cycling aficionados of the TEF:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/corratec-dolomiti-105-limited-edition-road-bike-2013/rp-prod91544

Seems like a lot of bike for that money. Not the best wheels, but at a snip under 9kg it seems good value for money.

Couple of things jump out to me at first glance. What is the fork made of - is it carbon or alloy, at that money I would expect the fork to be carbon, and if the roads down there are anything like they were in Cumbria on Saturday god you need it!

Its good that the leavers are 105, but I note that the crank set isnt and I am not sure where any reference to Ultegra comes into it? Never even heard of the brakes although thats not saying a great deal.

At that sort of cash its mainly the frame to look at asthe rest cabn be upgraded, if the fork is carbon thats not bad and the 105 levers will save a bit...

But equally a lot of the 2013 kit will start being cleared to make way for 2014 shortly and I would suspect you may be able to get more bang for your buck elsewhere?

Apologies probably stating the obvious...
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: