Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 740950 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 09:41:46 »

Obviously the front couldn't be chain driven if you want to turn corners.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 12:08:59 »

I'm sure I have seen it done somewhere with chain drive.

The mechanic in my LBS recently built up a front wheel with an electric assist motor in it as well.

Thinking about it, belt drive would work better for transferring drive to a front wheel. You would need a high mounted transfer drive though, so that the belt (chain) line ran along the steering axis.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 20:34:55 »

SPD cleats are annoyingly expensive aren't they! instead of paying £15 for a pair i spent £21 on a new set of shimano spd pedals with SPD cleats included .

always thinking me!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 22:07:21 by bennett » Logged

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 21:18:59 »

Very geeky of me I know but I've just worked out that my Garmin Edge 500 can be programmed with routes before I go out along with speed targets so I can train against a virtual partner.

geek central
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 15:37:49 »

Wiggo ruled out of the TdF.

That settles the team leadership debate.
iffy

« Reply #410 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 15:43:44 »

Very geeky of me I know but I've just worked out that my Garmin Edge 500 can be programmed with routes before I go out along with speed targets so I can train against a virtual partner.

geek central

http://www.strava.com/ if you've got a smartphone
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Monday, June 3, 2013, 12:15:25 »

Yeo, did you do the Castles ride yesterday?

I couldn't make it in the end because the wife did Race for Life and I got stuck with the baby.

Very nearly bought a Giant Defy 4 t'other day. Anyone know much about them?
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Monday, June 3, 2013, 12:41:43 »

I didn't I've been having asthma problems for a couple of weeks so I bottled it.

/
W56196272
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Monday, June 3, 2013, 14:25:06 »

Yeo, did you do the Castles ride yesterday?

I was out walking yesterday, up to Barbury via Hodson then the path up to the Old Ridgeway, then along. The path from the Hodson turn to Old Ridgeway was being used for the bike ride....now if I see a mountain biker when out walking I always like to acknowledge them...so I said hello to about 40 people within about 20 mins. Couldn't have got a much better day for it...other than today, I've done maybe 10 miles....which as I'm trying to get back into something like what I used to be able to do is OK.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 3, 2013, 14:28:06 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Monday, June 3, 2013, 20:01:31 »

presta valves are fucking shite. i fucking hate them [/tans]

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Monday, June 3, 2013, 20:14:09 »

presta valves are fucking shite. i fucking hate them [/tans]

I always without fail bend the bloody things!
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Monday, June 3, 2013, 20:16:16 »

i've somehow managed to rip the working bits out. i'm just online to buy some schrader inners now

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 07:15:44 »

i've somehow managed to rip the working bits out. i'm just online to buy some schrader inners now

a) Get/ use a pump with a flexi hose when pumping tyres up. Direct connect pumps can put stress through and tear the join between the valve and the tube (and bugger up the valve on presta).

b) When you unscrew the nipple on the presta, give it a tap to unseat the core, then screw it back in a bit so that there isn't too much core sticking out.

c) If you change to Schraeder, make sure your rims are drilled to take the larger diameter valve. if you have to drill yourself, do it from inside the rim (tube side) through to spoke side.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 07:19:49 »

a) Get/ use a pump with a flexi hose when pumping tyres up. Direct connect pumps can put stress through and tear the join between the valve and the tube (and bugger up the valve on presta).

b) When you unscrew the nipple on the presta, give it a tap to unseat the core, then screw it back in a bit so that there isn't too much core sticking out.

c) If you change to Schraeder, make sure your rims are drilled to take the larger diameter valve. if you have to drill yourself, do it from inside the rim (tube side) through to spoke side.

I would agree with all of the above and also mention that I suspect that if you drill road rims to take a Schraeder valve it could be dodgy both in terms of warranty and rim strength.

But if you haven't already got one get a track pump, not only is it valve friendly as mentioned above but is a game changer in terms of getting the right pressures in quickly and easily.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 07:43:36 »

I would agree with all of the above and also mention that I suspect that if you drill road rims to take a Schraeder valve it could be dodgy both in terms of warranty and rim strength.

But if you haven't already got one get a track pump, not only is it valve friendly as mentioned above but is a game changer in terms of getting the right pressures in quickly and easily.

Track pumps are the dogs bollocks. That is why workshops use them. They can be a bit of a bastard to lug around ona ride though Cheesy

Get a frame/ pocket pump with an integral hose for use out on a ride (or a CO2 inflator).
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: