Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737614 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 11:28:13 »

if either of you gents fancy having a go on my bike (what a disgusting start to a sentence) then you're welcome.

Thanks for the offer. I reckon I am unlikely to be able to tell a good bike from a crap one, and so the online opinion and Bennett  seal of approval gets my vote.

The weight difference is between 2- 2 1/2 bags of sugar. That is a big difference in weight to haul up a hill. I know that loosing lard does the same thing but, from experience, riding a bike that is 2 1/2 kg lighter up a hill is a lot easier than riding a bike up a hill when I am 2 1/2 kg lighter

That's interesting. Didn't really think this would be the case. In fact by reducing my mass I thought air resistance would decrease due to its squaring properties against velocity. Then I realised I'm not Brian Cox so I gave up trying to work out what that really means.

I believe what you say but I'm never going to be a serious cyclist, so I reckon I'll take the hit on a heavier bike.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 24, 2012, 11:34:04 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 11:42:56 »

The weight difference is between 2- 2 1/2 bags of sugar. That is a big difference in weight to haul up a hill. I know that loosing lard does the same thing but, from experience, riding a bike that is 2 1/2 kg lighter up a hill is a lot easier than riding a bike up a hill when I am 2 1/2 kg lighter (I live in Buckinghamshire, in Marlow and we have some fecking steep hills near where I live and ride on a daily basis).

The difference in price also has an impact on the quality of the wheels and frame- the most important parts of the bike when it comes to quality IMHO. More outlay means a stiffer frame so power transfer is more effective- flex around the bottom bracket can loose you a lot of power when going hard at it. Stiffer and lighter wheels also save effort. My 'Sunday best' bike, a 2004 Cannondale R800 road bike came with Gipemme Grecal parade wheels, very nice looking wheels but, the rear wheel has only got 16 spokes and, when out of the saddle, pedalling hard up hill, the wheels flexes and rubs on the brakes. When I can afford it, the wheels are going to be changed.

I would agree regarding wheels, just swapped the standard wheels on my Allez for some Fulcrum Racing 5's and the improvement is incredible both in terms of general rolling and climbing!

The weight issue is a difficult one, I would disagree and say that saving a few pounds in weight makes a bigger difference both in terms of lugging yourself up the hill but also in not weezing like one is terminally ill whilst you are doing it! I would work on your weight first and then start saving on the bike to put the icing on the cake so to speak.

Anyway off to the Bike Show on Saturday so will no doubt end up with loads of rubbish I dont need!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 11:51:41 »

It does raise a smile when you see a bloke who's obviously got a bit of disposable income plodding around on a full carbon Bianchi/Cannondale/Pinarello with a huge beer gut busting out of his replica Team Sky lycra. I mean, if you're carrying that weight, what's the point?!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 11:57:16 »

I did pass 4 cyclists the other day whilst in my car, they had all the kit etc. One of them was a big bloke, around 18st, the others passed him going uphill.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 12:03:21 »

Thanks for the offer. I reckon I am unlikely to be able to tell a good bike from a crap one, and so the online opinion and Bennett  seal of approval gets my vote.

That's interesting. Didn't really think this would be the case. In fact by reducing my mass I thought air resistance would decrease due to its squaring properties against velocity. Then I realised I'm not Brian Cox so I gave up trying to work out what that really means.

I believe what you say but I'm never going to be a serious cyclist, so I reckon I'll take the hit on a heavier bike.

I will add the caveate that the bit about a lighter bike being easier to shift than a lighter gut is in my opinion and experience only. I'm not claiming any industry secret knowledge.

It does beg the question however, if I built an airtight frame and filled it with helium, would that make a difference Wink
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 12:10:41 »

I would agree regarding wheels, just swapped the standard wheels on my Allez for some Fulcrum Racing 5's and the improvement is incredible both in terms of general rolling and climbing!

I'm looking at the racing 3s, just cos I buckled my back wheel on a sportive last weekend and they are the standard kit om my Trek. I take it that you're happy with the R5s??
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 22:06:34 »

I'm looking at the racing 3s, just cos I buckled my back wheel on a sportive last weekend and they are the standard kit om my Trek. I take it that you're happy with the R5s??

Racing 5's been great so far, ride is a bit stiffer than the originals but spin up quicker and seem to have made climbing a bit easier! They were 165 quid from Ribble came quick and no probs.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 08:17:21 »

Racing 5's been great so far, ride is a bit stiffer than the originals but spin up quicker and seem to have made climbing a bit easier! They were 165 quid from Ribble came quick and no probs.

Excellent thanks. I have Bontrager SSR which came with the bike so am looking to upgrade. Starting to think that £350+ for the Racing 3s are not as good value as £165 for the Racing 5s, especially for my level.

Did see a pair of wheels on Wiggle for £4500 though.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 11:27:05 »

It does raise a smile when you see a bloke who's obviously got a bit of disposable income plodding around on a full carbon Bianchi/Cannondale/Pinarello with a huge beer gut busting out of his replica Team Sky lycra. I mean, if you're carrying that weight, what's the point?!

A carbon bike has become the new mid life crisis must have replacing the sports car!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 11:31:03 »

Excellent thanks. I have Bontrager SSR which came with the bike so am looking to upgrade. Starting to think that £350+ for the Racing 3s are not as good value as £165 for the Racing 5s, especially for my level.

Did see a pair of wheels on Wiggle for £4500 though.

The price of some wheels is genuinely scary, when you look at a team car in the tour and take note of the 4-5 bikes and wheels theres probably £75-100k of kit on the roof.

The thing with wheels is they can be moved between bikes, and when you buy a new bike often it is the wheels that are downgraded by the manufacturer to hit a price point, but if you already have good wheels they are there to put on a new bike if you upgrade... if that makes sense!

I am very happy with mine but if you got the cash why not?

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 14:13:13 »

Thanks Horlock - makes good sense.  I don't have all the money for the R3s hence why I am trying to justify it to myself.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 15:09:35 »

Just buy one then.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Dozno9

« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 10:20:16 »

I have an alu frame with carbon forks and seat post and that'll do me for a while. It's a decent bike but many time have have been over taken by an 1980/90's dawes with steel frame. At the level I am at I'll never notice the different with a full carbon.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 10:27:40 »

My MB has the disc style of brakes, but the back one rubs. Is it better to loosen the cable on the brake lever or adjust the brake pad with an alum/allen key?
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 11:04:44 by 4D » Logged
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 10:39:44 »

Try this. You'll need long arms or someone helping.

Loosen the bolts on the calliper so it’s able to move around a little.
Squeeze the brake and keep it squeezed in.
Tighten the calliper back up.
Let go of the brake lever.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: