Pages: 1 ... 414 415 416 [417] 418 419 420 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1625599 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6240 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 07:50:51 »

I reckon McKirdy will be kicking off next season in a town shirt. Yes he had a superb season but I'm not sure he's anywhere like Championship standard so I'm surprised to see him linked with clubs like Millwall and Coventry.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6241 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 07:59:57 »

I'm not sure why people think it'll be a tougher league. FGR Exeter and Rovers are all stronger than the teams coming down. Stockport (and presumably Wrexham) may add strength but promoted sides haven't done brilliantly in the last few years.

I never said a tougher league Joe but stated that it will be tough if we don't rebuild the squad with decent replacements.

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6242 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 08:21:30 »

I don’t think many clubs (if any) would be interested in paying money for McKirdy.
Let’s be honest, he’s had a great season but it is his first and only decent season in his career at 25.

If he was available on a free I could see someone taking the gamble but can’t envision clubs paying money for what is potentially a one season wonder…
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #6243 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 08:22:56 »

I don’t think many clubs (if any) would be interested in paying money for McKirdy.
Let’s be honest, he’s had a great season but it is his first and only decent season in his career at 25.

If he was available on a free I could see someone taking the gamble but can’t envision clubs paying money for what is potentially a one season wonder…

Time will tell

Nothing to see here
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6244 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 09:08:37 »

I've since heard Austin isn't coming back for a couple of reasons, one being money.
I mean I bet nobody is suprised at that.

But, and I know it's petty, but he'll have sullied himself if he ends up with his mate at fucking Rovers.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6245 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 09:13:26 »

I'm not in the know but maybe if we had gone up there was a possibility and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Pompey

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #6246 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 09:37:31 »

I reckon McKirdy will be kicking off next season in a Town shirt. Yes he had a superb season but I'm not sure he's anywhere like Championship standard so I'm surprised to see him linked with clubs like Millwall and Coventry.

Kind of agree mate if being brought as a First XI player but often clubs have strategy on player recruitment and might invest in a player just to stop another club from buying them or factor things in like squad size and McKirdy could be signed as a 3rd choice forward for a lower Championship side.

Something like that could happen and that comes down to individual preference. Where some might see it as a money move,  others would see it as seizing an opportunity. As Town fans many of us will be selfish in what is the correct next step for McGirty (and others who are good enough for a level or more up). Think though we have to take our own personal opinion head off and think what actually is the best step for several players. For me,  McGirty, Payne (even Conroy to a degree) and some others are all at key points where their next decision is an important one.

I definitely agree he's probably not Championship FIrst XI but he would slot into a 3rd choice Champ position. Maybe with caveats of X guaranteed Cup starts, X amount of matchday squad (bench) apps, Contract triggers for X amount of First XI apps as well as things like leaving on free if those clauses aren't met. That's all guess work but you can see a package like that being put together. Maybe factor in being signed on something like a 3yr deal and year one is back to the selling club on a SLL.

Win-Win all round and I think we then have a Louis Thompson type scenario sans lenghty injury problems. I'd be happy with that if McGirty were sold  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6247 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 09:48:28 »

Omar Bogle had 1 good season in league 2 (19 goals) and earned a £700k move from Grimsby at the age of 24 and a half.

Jayden Stockly was 26 when after 1 and a half good seasons in L2 (36 goals in 66 games) got a transfer to Preston for £750k.

Ollie Watkins had 1 good season in L2 and got a £1.8m transfer to Brentford (although he was 22 at the time).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6248 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 10:21:22 »

You also have to factor in the challenge of managing the player himself. Whilst he has been a breath of fresh air at Swindon and we seem to have a superb bond between the squad there is no guarantee it would work that way at another club. It never worked out for him really at Vale and his time at Carlisle ended poorly and he said himself the only reason he signed for Swindon is because we were a mess.

Clearly there is a risk with all players but for someone as characterful as he is, it's an added burden, especially as we would command a reasonable fee I would imagine.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6249 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 10:22:42 »

You also have to factor in the challenge of managing the player himself. Whilst he has been a breath of fresh air at Swindon and we seem to have a superb bond between the squad there is no guarantee it would work that way at another club. It never worked out for him really at Vale and his time at Carlisle ended poorly and he said himself the only reason he signed for Swindon is because we were a mess.

Clearly there is a risk with all players but for someone as characterful as he is, it's an added burden, especially as we would command a reasonable fee I would imagine.
Also....some players just work at some clubs. Look at Sam Parkin for instance.

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #6250 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 10:23:10 »

Yeah, I'm a firm believer of this.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6251 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 10:26:49 »

Oh absolutely. Remember Northampton fans taking the piss when we signed Parkin. It just seemed to click for him from the outset.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #6252 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 10:29:44 »

Oh absolutely. McGirty might enjoy being a big fish in a small pond with the added freedoms he enjoys at this (and prob L1 level). Moving elsewhere easily could mean he has to adapt (especially in a Champ set up with limited opportunities) and he may struggle to settle. That's why I reckon a SSL back as part of any deal would probably be a good move if things went that way.

Definitely a key decision point in his career currently Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6253 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 10:44:49 »

In fairness Sam Parkin started off ok at Ipswich but broke his ankle and was never quite the same again.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6254 on: Sunday, May 22, 2022, 10:49:53 »

In fairness Sam Parkin started off ok at Ipswich but broke his ankle and was never quite the same again.
Its actually less than you would think, he got a goal every 2 games for us but a goal every 4 for Ipswich before the injury, yes its a higher level but 50% lower strike rate.

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 416 [417] 418 419 420 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: