Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1611637 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1725 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2015, 20:29:15 »

Good post, fuck knows how you have the patience to explain what is patently obvious though. Fair play.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1726 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2015, 20:32:15 »

Good post, fuck knows how you have the patience to explain what is patently obvious though. Fair play.
Just going to copy and paste it from now on. Maybe it might actually get through to a few people eventually. When you do a direct comparison we are pretty similar.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #1727 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2015, 22:04:58 »

One thing that shouldn't be disregarded, in respect of squad size, is that Power seems to have targeted very versatile players. Turnbull, Thompson and Branco can play anywhere along the backline, J. Williams and K. Stewart can play defence and midfield, Robert can play midfield or attack, and Obika, Hylton, J. Stewart and Thomas are all very mobile, and fit in upfront or out wide.

Despite the squad size, Cooper should generally have okay cover when and if a few injuries hit, and it should also offer him good tactical flexibility in terms of changing positions on the fly.

If we can get the Estonian in, then I think I'll be relatively happy with our transfer dealings overall. I don't think our squad is as strong as last year, but I don't think the league is either.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1728 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2015, 22:14:36 »

One thing that shouldn't be disregarded, in respect of squad size, is that Power seems to have targeted very versatile players. Turnbull, Thompson and Branco can play anywhere along the backline, J. Williams and K. Stewart can play defence and midfield, Robert can play midfield or attack, and Obika, Hylton, J. Stewart and Thomas are all very mobile, and fit in upfront or out wide.

Despite the squad size, Cooper should generally have okay cover when and if a few injuries hit, and it should also offer him good tactical flexibility in terms of changing positions on the fly.

If we can get the Estonian in, then I think I'll be relatively happy with our transfer dealings overall. I don't think our squad is as strong as last year, but I don't think the league is either.
Agree with you to an extent on quality but are we actually that much weaker than the 2nd half of last season? Traore seems more than adequate to replace L Thompson, Luongo was non existent after Christmas, and same can be said of Andy Williams. It's only really Byrne and Gladwin where we are possibly weaker and we've got Robert who if he carries on like he is will more than fill one of the 2 areas.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1729 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 07:21:59 »

People forget Gladwin was only good for the last 15 games or so
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1730 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 09:44:06 »

No offence but you are talking nonsense, let's do a direct comparison just to humour you:

Fods = replaced by Vigs
Belford = still here

N Thompson = still here
Branco = still here
Turnbull = still here
Stephens = replaced by Williams
Toffolo = replaced by BOO
Ricketts = not replaced (big loss?)
Bartram = Brophy

Kasim = still here
Byrne = replaced by J Stewart, a punt yes but why not
Luongo = Kevin Stewart
Gladwin = Robert
L Thompson = Traore
Swift = not relaced but ran out of room in squad last season.
Rogers = Still here

Obika = still here
A Williams = Wes Thomas
Hylton = Still here
M Smith = not replaced

Have I missed anyone?

So out of last seasons main players (approximately 20 of them) we've got players in 17 of the areas with just Ricketts, Swift and Smith not replaced. This doesn't include Barry, Balmy or the Estonian guy which you could say covers at least 1 of the numbers. Also maybe a couple of our youths might make an impact?

Yes we have taken a few punts but numbers wise we aren't really any different and let's face it bar Williams and Ricketts last season the rest were young punts that came good.
So I don't really get the squad size panic?

Just copied and pasted this for the first time on facebook Smiley
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1731 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 10:33:29 »

Will need to add in Ajose later, that'll be another gap filled!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1732 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 10:35:54 »

I'd swap the Wes Thomas singing to be Smith's replacement and Ajose as Williams replacement.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1733 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 10:43:52 »

I'd swap the Wes Thomas singing to be Smith's replacement and Ajose as Williams replacement.
Probably a fair shout. Either way both replaced which is the main thing.
Flashheart

« Reply #1734 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 10:50:01 »

Andrew Steele-Davis ‏@andrew_FLICW  1m1 minute ago
Swindon Town Chairman Lee Power has confirmed that Jeremy Balmy has signed on the dotted line at #stfc - http://www.flicwiltshire.com/power-confirms-balmy-has-put-pen-to-paper-at-town/
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1735 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 11:04:09 »

Andrew Steele-Davis ‏@andrew_FLICW  1m1 minute ago
Swindon Town Chairman Lee Power has confirmed that Jeremy Balmy has signed on the dotted line at #stfc - http://www.flicwiltshire.com/power-confirms-balmy-has-put-pen-to-paper-at-town/

Andy King would have been proud of this bit:
Quote from: Mark Cooper on FLIC
“With us getting a couple in, we weren’t sure we were going to get anyone in, so it was important that we tried to get somebody in.”

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #1736 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 11:47:02 »

Ha ha.  I saw it and commented 😊
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1737 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 12:25:11 »

My secret identity is revealed
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #1738 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 12:47:15 »

And mine 😊.  I think you know a friend of mine as well.  Brian, usually whinging on fb about Aston Villa?
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #1739 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 13:26:01 »

Thats part of the problem with the recruitment this summer. Where are the next £1m players to keep funding this model?

Not sure on £1m players but players Power will be expecting to make a profit on, more often than not:
Kasim (if he goes in Jan)
Obika
Ajose
Robert
Stewart, J
Ojamma
Traore
Hylton

None are £1m players but any of them could be by the end of the season. Just ask Gladwin.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: