Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1611587 times)
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #270 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 09:41:39 »

Lets please not have another constant panic over lack of signings like we did early pre-season last year.

Anyone know where that panic button is?

This!

The domestic season only finished yesterday. If we're signing free transfers then there is no need to get them on board until 1 July (financially anyway) as the club don't have to pay their wages until then.

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 09:42:12 »

Things aint gonna get going for weeks i'd expect. Players and managers will be on their hols
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 09:44:14 »

Praise the lord for that....time to have a break from the exploits of Swindon FC for a while i reckon.

Talking for myself of course.
kerry red

« Reply #273 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 09:45:50 »

I think the club know who their targets are, have been sounded out, and it's just waiting for holidays to end and players to come back and sign up.

Unless, of course, there is no money forthcoming and PdC will be off  
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 11:56:55 »

So what's the consensus regarding what we need? I know there are some obvious positions that need filling but looking roughly at our current squad, we are top heavy in places. I'm unemployed at the moment so have time to type this sort of drivel (I have been offered a new job though *Phew.Hooray.Phew* but it doesn't start for another two weeks)

With new signings still potentially weeks away, let us (hopefully) discuss what is really needed at Swindon for the 2012/13 season.

Out of position players in italics.

Goalkeeper
1. Wes Foderingham
2. Leigh Bedwell
3. Mattia Lanzano

Dennis Wise, Paul Sturrock, Maurice Malpas and Danny Wilson all preferred to have duelling goalkeepers fighting for a number one spot and long term it probably had more of a detrimental effect at Swindon.

Plenty of clubs have a mainstay number 1 goalkeeper with back-up, why not Swindon? With that in mind, I'd have a 'Steve Book' type keeper brought in with Mattia Lanzano axed and Leigh Bedwell as third goalkeeper.

Right-Back
1. Paul Caddis
2. Nathan Thompson
3. Joe Devera

On the basis that Nathan Thompson accepts his contract offer then I don't think there's much need to bolster this. Perhaps the loan market can assist when need be.

Left-Back
1. Alessandro Cibocchi

If McEveley comes in and then you'll probably need to bring another in if Cibocchi's injury is as bad as what DV has alluded to in the past. I wonder what Ridehalgh's availability is now that Huddersfield Town have been promoted?

Centre-Back
1. Alan McCormack
2. Joe Devera
3. Aden Flint
4. Oliver Risser
5. Alessandro Cibocchi

McCormack is worth debating. In League Two, McCormack was a fantastic make-shift central defender but in League One? There's every chance that he will be just as good but what if he's not? Then you've got Joe Devera with Aden Flint. Both good players but is it strong enough against better opposition? I'd be hoping that Di Canio is looking at an experienced lower league centre-back to really make that position competitive.

Right-Midfield
1. Matt Ritchie
2. Paul Caddis

Ritchie's no.1. If Caddis has to fill in then you've got Nathan Thompson to cover. I imagine Di Canio might look at the loan market to cover Ritchie.

Left-Midfield
1. Luke Rooney
2. Raffa De Vita
3. Matt Ritchie
4. Billy Bodin

Rooney has flitted in and out of the side, as has Raffa De Vita. I'd be interested to read what others think about this position...

Centre-Midfield
1. Simon Ferry
2. Jonathan Smith
3. Oliver Risser
3. Lee Cox
4. Alan McCormack
5. Matt Ritchie

I think (and this is only my opinion which is based on nothing at all) that Jonathan Smith is at risk this summer of being sold on. Recent news may suggest that Lee Cox's Town career may go the way of Elliot Benyon but Smith was in and out of the squad on a semi-regular basis. RE: Smith, it's not based on what I think of him as a footballer but I just have that feeling that Di Canio isn't so sure.

Also, Risser is a favourite of Di Canio's while I think McCormack might go back in to a midfield role. Ferry has earned high praise after last summer.

Centre-Forward
1. Paul Benson
2. Alan Connell
3. Billy Bodin
4. Raffa De Vita
5. Lukáš Magera
6. Miles Storey
7. Mehdi Kerrouche

There's a lot of names but we certainly need a new player in there. I'd hope Kerrouche will be effectively replaced by the Andy Williams signing (if it happens) while Magera could be replaced for another forward who can be relied upon.

For consistency alone, I wouldn't get rid of Connell.

Thought/Thoughts?
Coca Fola

« Reply #275 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:08:13 »

I think all we need is a GK, CB, LB, a winger and a couple of strikers.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:13:17 »

I think all we need is a GK, CB, LB, a winger and a couple of strikers.

What do you think about McCormack as either a defender or reverting to what is possibly he preferred position?
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:20:19 »

A central midfielder is a must. Risser isn't good enough and I can't see Smith being a regular in a side that has top 6 ambitions.

I would keep McCormack in defence - our record at the back was superb last season and he was our best defender for me. Sign Mcevely and the backline looks solid.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:33:23 »

keep alan back there in defence, it's important to have a ball player back there and there aren't so many lumps in L1 so his height should be even less of an issue.

get mceveley in, an able athletic CM and of course a couple of strikers in, preferably with some pace
Coca Fola

« Reply #279 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:55:44 »

What do you think about McCormack as either a defender or reverting to what is possibly he preferred position?
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 13:01:45 »

I think all we need is a GK

Don't we have one on trial and looking at 'signing'. I've read it somewhere...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 13:05:20 »

Don't we have one on trial and looking at 'signing'. I've read it somewhere...

N'ah, it's in your head.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 14:25:04 »

Left-Midfield
1. Luke Rooney
2. Raffa De Vita
3. Matt Ritchie
4. Billy Bodin

Rooney has flitted in and out of the side, as has Raffa De Vita. I'd be interested to read what others think about this position...

It wouldn't surprise me if we went for Holmes, who I believe is out of contract? I know he sometimes split opinions but with a full PDC pre-season behind him, I think he could be a very good league one player.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 14:40:13 »

I'm inclined to agree.

Raffa De Vita's stock still doesn't look great as he's failed to make an impact as a forward. He job a decent job filling in on the left wing but with Rooney and possible Holmes, what does this mean for De Vita?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 14:57:06 »

So what's the consensus regarding what we need? I know there are some obvious positions that need filling but looking roughly at our current squad, we are top heavy in places. I'm unemployed at the moment so have time to type this sort of drivel (I have been offered a new job though *Phew.Hooray.Phew* but it doesn't start for another two weeks)

With new signings still potentially weeks away, let us (hopefully) discuss what is really needed at Swindon for the 2012/13 season.

Out of position players in italics.

Goalkeeper
1. Wes Foderingham
2. Leigh Bedwell
3. Mattia Lanzano

Dennis Wise, Paul Sturrock, Maurice Malpas and Danny Wilson all preferred to have duelling goalkeepers fighting for a number one spot and long term it probably had more of a detrimental effect at Swindon.

Plenty of clubs have a mainstay number 1 goalkeeper with back-up, why not Swindon? With that in mind, I'd have a 'Steve Book' type keeper brought in with Mattia Lanzano axed and Leigh Bedwell as third goalkeeper.

Right-Back
1. Paul Caddis
2. Nathan Thompson
3. Joe Devera

On the basis that Nathan Thompson accepts his contract offer then I don't think there's much need to bolster this. Perhaps the loan market can assist when need be.

Left-Back
1. Alessandro Cibocchi

If McEveley comes in and then you'll probably need to bring another in if Cibocchi's injury is as bad as what DV has alluded to in the past. I wonder what Ridehalgh's availability is now that Huddersfield Town have been promoted?

Centre-Back
1. Alan McCormack
2. Joe Devera
3. Aden Flint
4. Oliver Risser
5. Alessandro Cibocchi

McCormack is worth debating. In League Two, McCormack was a fantastic make-shift central defender but in League One? There's every chance that he will be just as good but what if he's not? Then you've got Joe Devera with Aden Flint. Both good players but is it strong enough against better opposition? I'd be hoping that Di Canio is looking at an experienced lower league centre-back to really make that position competitive.

Right-Midfield
1. Matt Ritchie
2. Paul Caddis

Ritchie's no.1. If Caddis has to fill in then you've got Nathan Thompson to cover. I imagine Di Canio might look at the loan market to cover Ritchie.

Left-Midfield
1. Luke Rooney
2. Raffa De Vita
3. Matt Ritchie
4. Billy Bodin

Centre-Midfield
1. Simon Ferry
2. Jonathan Smith
3. Oliver Risser
3. Lee Cox
4. Alan McCormack
5. Matt Ritchie

I think (and this is only my opinion which is based on nothing at all) that Jonathan Smith is at risk this summer of being sold on. Recent news may suggest that Lee Cox's Town career may go the way of Elliot Benyon but Smith was in and out of the squad on a semi-regular basis. RE: Smith, it's not based on what I think of him as a footballer but I just have that feeling that Di Canio isn't so sure.

Also, Risser is a favourite of Di Canio's while I think McCormack might go back in to a midfield role. Ferry has earned high praise after last summer.

Centre-Forward
1. Paul Benson
2. Alan Connell
3. Billy Bodin
4. Raffa De Vita
5. Lukáš Magera
6. Miles Storey
7. Mehdi Kerrouche

There's a lot of names but we certainly need a new player in there. I'd hope Kerrouche will be effectively replaced by the Andy Williams signing (if it happens) while Magera could be replaced for another forward who can be relied upon.

For consistency alone, I wouldn't get rid of Connell.

Thought/Thoughts?

I like the way you've put those little accent things on Magera's name....a touch of class that unemployment brings, it will be a shame when you return to the ranks of the wage slave, the TEF is all the better for a few with too much time on their hands.

As for the squad...who knows, this is STFC.  It's quite conceivable we'll be looking for a new chairman and manager before we get any players...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: