Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do you believe in god?  (Read 20468 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #45 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:03:02 »

Oh.

And I am no atheist, I'm an agnostic.

The difference is that I can see through the bullshit of the bible/koran and stuff.
Barry Scott

« Reply #46 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:05:32 »

That's something that gets under my skin.

My daughter will not be taught about any bible shit, but she will still be a good person. Personally, I'd be a bit unsure of any adult that needs a book to tell them what's right and what's wrong.

I agree, I love the old, "If we didn't read the bible we'd be murderers and rapists," type argument.

How are they forced on children? Some schools don't have these classes. They are not forced at all it's up to the parents to decide if they are sending these kids to the school.

Any "teaching" of religion to children is being taught as truth, therefore with a parent's consent or not, it is forced; a child is to young to decide. If you told a child adults can fly, they'd believe it. Teaching a child they will burn in hell is mental abuse in my opinion.

Let someone decide when their mind is their own, they can think rationally and decide for themselves - preferably they should be left to discover it as adults. I want nothing to do with religion and it can do as it wants, within reason, but the moment children are involved it makes me very angry.
König

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:06:35 »

kids from the age of 4 are told that god did this, and god does that.hymns in assembly,and prayers before meals.
the children believe what they are told. they are too young to question whether god is real or not.
alot of morals in religions are good,but i completely disagree with it taught as faact to kids at such a young age.

It's hard not to teach something as fact though isn't it?

Do you have kids arriba, what would you tell them if they asked you what happens when you die? Not trying to be nosy or rude or anything btw.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #48 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:08:18 »

My daughter knows i can't fly. On a serious note then here my daughter asked me 2 weeks ago for her birthday to buy here a bible so i bought one of the childrens bibles that are available.

Does this make me a bad person?
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #49 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:11:43 »

My daughter knows i can't fly. On a serious note then here my daughter asked me 2 weeks ago for her birthday to buy here a bible so i bought one of the childrens bibles that are available.

Of course not.

But if it was my girl I'd want to know what she was asking for a bible.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #50 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:14:54 »

Because she has heard and seen things that interest her and enjoys reading.

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:15:04 »

It's hard not to teach something as fact though isn't it?

Do you have kids arriba, what would you tell them if they asked you what happens when you die? Not trying to be nosy or rude or anything btw.

they already have religious classes without it taught as fact.they learn about different religions,but teach christianity as the factual one.

i have 2 kids. they know my views on religion and i've told them i believe you get one life.you are born-live then die eventually. i believe religion was born due to the unknown of death and the fear of it.
you aint offended me as i like debate on this but it often goes nowhere
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #52 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:18:40 »

Because she has heard and seen things that interest her and enjoys reading.

What I mean is, is she being fed with this stuff by somebody.

If my girl came home asking for a bible, for example, I'd be wondering if somebody at the school was imposing their beliefs onto her.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #53 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:20:46 »

She goes to a catholic school like i did.
König

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:24:38 »

they already have religious classes without it taught as fact.they learn about different religions,but teach christianity as the factual one.

i have 2 kids. they know my views on religion and i've told them i believe you get one life.you are born-live then die eventually. i believe religion was born due to the unknown of death and the fear of it.
you aint offended me as i like debate on this but it often goes nowhere

I sort of agree with you about the fear of death and the unknown, but i don't think religion was born of it, i think that it makes people embrace religion though. If religion was made to ease the fears of death, than the Bible is a bloody good story that someone imagined up!

I'm a Christian but the thought of dieing still unnerves me, not so much the dieing but the eternal life afterwards, i think it's because the human mind cannot comprehend something that is outside time and space. I heard someone speak the other week and they said that telling a human what heaven is like, is like trying to tell an unborn child what the world is like outside the womb, which i thought was quite an apt description!
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #55 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:30:46 »

She goes to a catholic school like i did.

Do you believe in science.

I don't mean absolute faith that science is perfect. I just mean that do you believe science has the best possible answers to the questions that we have on where we come from, space, time, the big bang and all that shizzle? I mean that although we know so little, science is doing its best and is the best answer to those difficult questions that we have RIGHT NOW.
Barry Scott

« Reply #56 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:31:02 »

No, of course that doesn't make you a bad person.

I disagree strongly though with a child being taught about burning in hell. Hell is not a concept a child can even begin to grasp and if a child can, it's not particularly nice. I remember being terrified of it as a child and that using hell as a means of indocrination (believe this or burn in hell) is wrong. Merciful god my arse. Sanctimonious egotist maybe.

For the record, as a child I went to Sunday School, I went to church and I read the bible. Only I always thought it was a bit stupid and in the end the vicar asked my parents to stop bringing me along. (I was still secretly terrified of hell though, such was the indoctrination. I even recall praying without truly knowing why, simply in the hope someone or something wouldn't set fire to me or my family.)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:32:49 »

Any "teaching" of religion to children is being taught as truth, therefore with a parent's consent or not, it is forced; a child is to young to decide.

True, but then nearly all primary schools are linked with churches (CofE or Catholic). It's not as if it's cult like and all kids grow up to be devout Christians.

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:33:24 »

I sort of agree with you about the fear of death and the unknown, but i don't think religion was born of it, i think that it makes people embrace religion though. If religion was made to ease the fears of death, than the Bible is a bloody good story that someone imagined up!

I'm a Christian but the thought of dieing still unnerves me, not so much the dieing but the eternal life afterwards, i think it's because the human mind cannot comprehend something that is outside time and space. I heard someone speak the other week and they said that telling a human what heaven is like, is like trying to tell an unborn child what the world is like outside the womb, which i thought was quite an apt description!

agree that the fear of death makes people embrace religion.i also do believe the bible is a story made up,well many stories by many people.it's changed over the years.

nobody can tell you what heaven is like as nobody alive has seen it.i dont think anyone dead has either but that's irrelivant to your point. i respect your beliefs,but i wont ever share them.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 19:33:56 »

Surely religion was born to answer the questions that couldn't be answered at the time. It is only relatively recently that we've been able to scientifically explain things, such as evolution the big bang and all that shit. Those explanations weren't there thousands of years ago so they came up with one, religion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: