Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Disappearing members  (Read 377350 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #225 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 11:50:54 »

I think what he means is why does there have to be such an intolerance for the other point of view. People should just get on with their own thing.

Well, I agree. And it should work both ways,

That's why I said it's best this stuff is kept in this thread. That way the rest of us can be allowed to talk about the football side of things.
Highland Robin

« Reply #226 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 12:07:28 »

Sorry, but in my view a fair amount of rubbish has been written on this and the many other threads on the subject.  I am passionate about STFC, will go on supporting them, and going to matches as often as I can (not at all at the moment!)  I love football - full stop.  However, I do not like Fascism, and I doubt if there are many on here who do.  Whether it affects di canio's ability to manage or not remains to be seen.  But let's stop pretending that we can divorce football from politics.  Politics is about how we live together in community, and trying to find the best way of ordering that.  Football is an integral part of community life.  there are a lot of people around who detest football for all sorts of reasons, but they are not trying to ban it.  Some people on here feel completely free to say whatver they like about Oxford supporters mostly, I'm sure, in jest, but some not - I have seen posts which suggest that there will be people looking to make trouble at the matches.  Football-related violence is a political issue.  It destroys communities and neighbourhoods, it makes huge demands on police, those who get hurt assume thaere will be an ambulance service and a health service to look after them..... A public figure in football who does not do everything he can to calm supporters down is failing in his job...and that has to be a fear with di Canio.  Someone referred to the Celtic/Rangers stuff.  I don't think either Lennon or McCoist have set very good examples, but that is primarily a supporters issue - and I am pretty sure that is where it could become an issue for our club, if our manager's instincts are to stir up rather than calm down.

I hope not, and, with reservations, will wait and see...
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #227 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 12:10:11 »

But let's stop pretending that we can divorce football from politics. 

I can, as can many others.

There's rather a lot of us here who really just could not give a flying fuck.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 12:14:31 »

What you said I said:
Can't wait for the next thrilling installment on how Red Frog is better than the rest of us morally bankrupt drones who have all suddenly reverted to extreme right wing politics just because Swindon Town have appointed Paolo Di Canio.

What I said:
I understand that PDC's politics aren't an obstacle to everyone's support, and that's fine.

I can cope with you disagreeing with me, but at least have the honesty not to misrepresent me to suit your argument. Now that's "morally bankrupt".
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 12:59:28 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 12:35:19 »

I'm with BR on this one.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
china red

« Reply #230 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:08:26 »

Agree. 

Respect others for not being happy with us appointing some one with fascist leanings but can't really understand why they are leaving this forum.
red socks

« Reply #231 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:31:36 »

Agree. 

Respect others for not being happy with us appointing some one with fascist leanings but can't really understand why they are leaving this forum.

The point for me is that most footballers, managers and fans for that matter have political beliefs that a pretty right wing compared to mine. Racism in football has only recently been deemed "unacceptable".  Its all a bit of a pantomime and that has never stopped me enjoying my football, its all part of teh tribal nature of it, and its the same position in terms of d'canio. I can understand others feeling they can't support the club while he's in charge, but to be honest, it can sound a bit like rick from the young ones......
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:35:34 »

It wouldn't matter if there was only one person concerned about di Canio's appointment. Their thoughts should be heard, without the recourse to mob mentality.

I've spoken to a number of Town fans this weekend, who are not on this site, and I've yet to find anyone happy with this appointment.

Some because of the politics, others because of the lack of experience at this crucial time.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:39:32 »

I've spoken to a number of Town fans this weekend, who are not on this site, and I've yet to find anyone happy with this appointment.

Don't be ridiculous, all five people unhappy with this appointment post on this forum and none of them attend games and most aren't even Swindon fans really.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #234 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:39:53 »

It wouldn't matter if there was only one person concerned about di Canio's appointment. Their thoughts should be heard, without the recourse to mob mentality.

I'm not saying otherwise Reg.

But my comment was in reply to a specific comment that would suggest everybody has to care about it.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:42:43 by BANGKOK RED » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:54:12 »

It's a pity some people don't seem prepared to give PDC a chance at least. I get why some are against him due to his political views but I don't remember it being an issue when he played over here before so why should it be now? I'm sure the club and PDC himself are aware of the concerns of some, maybe they'll do something to help appease those concerns.

Same for how he will perform in the job. We have a very good record with managerial appointments of ex-players who played at the highest level and PDC fits in to this category with Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle and McMahon. Not sure of how he can do a worse job than Wilson or Hart did this season.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:54:37 »

I'm with BR on this one.

And me.

And I know plenty of people happy with the appointment too!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #237 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 14:59:38 »

I have spoken to a number of Town fans not on this forum over the last few days and every one of them is 100% happy with Di Canio and choose to ignore his politics.

Each to their own but from what I have found is that 95% of Town fans are behind him as manager.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 15:00:51 »

Aren't people getting dizzy yet?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 15:11:24 »

I'm getting pretty fucking fed up of this argument going round in circles, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: