Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Di Canio emerges as surprise favourite  (Read 9433 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 18:29:22 »

Also, the debate of appointing a fascist must be a TEF first.

There was certainly no debate when SY becoming a mod....he just took the job in a putsch.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 18:32:34 »

On the other hand, pedigree is something to look for. Lambert was a protege of O'Neill. Loads of top managers have played for Ferguson. Brendan Rodgers learned from Mourinho. I'd rather someone who had played for top managers and learned from them than someone who had played for Swindon at some point.

Good point. Proteges are certainly 'in vogue' these days. Newport County appointed Anthony Hudson who was being looked after by Harry Redknapp.

Plus what with reserves and several academy sides, bigger teams have loads of coaching staff these days.

I think the right choice could well be sitting in an academy job somewhere... Not Hoddle though Smiley
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 18:34:27 »

There was certainly no debate when SY becoming a mod....he just took the job in a putsch.

...Keep in line Reg, or we'll encounter another coup d'état.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 19:40:39 »

On the other hand, pedigree is something to look for. Lambert was a protege of O'Neill. Loads of top managers have played for Ferguson. Brendan Rodgers learned from Mourinho. I'd rather someone who had played for top managers and learned from them than someone who had played for Swindon at some point.
Good point. Proteges are certainly 'in vogue' these days. Newport County appointed Anthony Hudson who was being looked after by Harry Redknapp.

Plus what with reserves and several academy sides, bigger teams have loads of coaching staff these days.

I think the right choice could well be sitting in an academy job somewhere... Not Hoddle though Smiley
These two posts are probably the most sensible posts made in this whole discussion, across all the threads (not a high bar admittedly).

Ray Wilkins anyone? (That's a joke btw before you all start)
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 19:54:50 »

Could be and indeed an academy manager would fit with the self-funding vision of the board. however what they tend not to have is the background in player recruitment as while they are used to coaching they don't pick players, they don't make final decisions on signings. Also tactically they usually haven't been tested. Peter Grant at Norwich would be a decent example of this, some could argue that Malpas, as an U21 boss was similar in some ways.
Dirk Diggler

« Reply #50 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 20:01:35 »

These two posts are probably the most sensible posts made in this whole discussion, across all the threads (not a high bar admittedly).

Ray Wilkins anyone? (That's a joke btw before you all start)

If we are talking about coaches that have been "mentored" by Chelsea Managers then what about Ade Mafe? I am sure that he would be interested on the proviso that Alan O'B re-signed
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 20:46:39 »

My point was that we've had more success with managers that had no previous link with the club.

If Bodin gets it, solely on the fact that the board decide he's the best candidate, fine.

If he gets it due in part to his history with the club, I won't understand it.

It's never worked before.

As to the managers we've taken on who had no prior experience, in the main they've done a decent job. I would rather have a big name, ex player in charge, who's hungry for success, than someone employed partly due to sentimentality.

Nothing to do with the Swindon connection,more due to the fact that he has been working with the youths etc,would agree with you if say Duncan Shearer or Maskel was appointed but the fact is Bodin knows the club inside out due to the fact he has worked here for years.

My money is on Richard Money but Bodin would be a good choice in my eyes.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 20:48:45 »

On the other hand, pedigree is something to look for. Lambert was a protege of O'Neill. Loads of top managers have played for Ferguson. Brendan Rodgers learned from Mourinho.
Just to play devil's advocate, Keane has plenty of pedigree but made a right dog's breakfast of the Ipswich job.

Tbh, the more I hear of some of the more "alternative" suggestions, the more I warm to the idea of Paul Trollope.
Dozno9

« Reply #53 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 20:55:05 »

Trollope is looking like the sane solution for me. Gazza has some managerial experience though...
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #54 on: Monday, May 9, 2011, 21:34:43 »

Still want Paul Buckle but wouldn't be dissapointed with Trollop after having a serious look at what's available.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: