Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wise or...  (Read 32492 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 21:48:23 »

If we went for either but couldn't attract them then we'd really need to start looking at ourselves. Wasn't Bobby Smith the last manager we got from another club?
Doore

« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 21:49:52 »

I think the point with Hill, as Reg alluded to, was that if he was to leave Rochdale it would be for a step up.  Sad as it sounds to us, we are a step down from Rochdale at this point in time.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 21:56:55 »

If we went for either but couldn't attract them then we'd really need to start looking at ourselves. Wasn't Bobby Smith the last manager we got from another club?

We got McMahon as player manager, after some negotiations with Man City. To expect us to attract Hill is just unrealistic, unless we're going to start paying over the odds, for which there's no evidence will happen.

Mellon though could be a possibility as Fleetwood have only been full time for 3 or so years.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 06:50:38 »

Mellon though could be a possibility as Fleetwood have only been full time for 3 or so years.

Eric Canteloupe as assistant ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 19:15:48 »

I like the idea of a manager that celebrates the end of the season by getting so blitzed he wakes up the next day in a hedge.  If I'm right (and there is no guarantee of that), then I reckon we should go for Klaus Toppmöller.

Also he has worked with assistant Ralf Minge.

Go Klaus!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 19:51:36 »

only one man for this...... Lou Macari. 

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 22:17:52 »

can't see fitton forking out compo for a manager currently employed elsewhere.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 23:20:05 »

There's only one man for the job and that man is Steve Bleasdale.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 03:01:32 »

the best man for the job would be Sturrock.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 06:25:03 »

To be honest it doesn't matter who you bring in as manager it won't guarantee success..

Fittons first appointment was a 'CV' appointment - qualifications on paper looked fantastic with Malpas - but as history showed he couldn't manage/inspire people.

Wilson was an experienced manager who had come close to promotion a couple of times but had also experienced relegation - something that was ironically mirrored here.

The natural next appointment would be a high profile player manager but unfortunately we are likely to be in the bottom run so would be a high risk strategy as another relegation would see us out of the league.

We would all like to see a manager with a proven track record here we are not an attractive package in division 4 so unless fitton digs deep we have to accept this is unlikely.

So to summarise we need a manager who

1) Has a personality to bring the best out of the players and unite the fans
2) Has the ability to identify formations that rip the opposition apart
3) Can bring a series of promotions back to the championship
4) Is committed to the club and prepared to stick with it even when bigger clubs come knocking during success (the club has already demonstrated that it sticks with managers when things go bad so expecting the reverse isn't unrealistic)

These may not seem like a big ask but getting all four is almost impossible and I don't think any of us know the answer.  The problem is Fitton will get slated at some point as he is the one who has to make the decision.

The other alternative is to hand all management responsibility to the TEF...

« Last Edit: Friday, April 15, 2011, 06:30:39 by triseros » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 08:20:23 »

To be honest it doesn't matter who you bring in as manager it won't guarantee success..

Fittons first appointment was a 'CV' appointment - qualifications on paper looked fantastic with Malpas - but as history showed he couldn't manage/inspire people.

Wilson was an experienced manager who had come close to promotion a couple of times but had also experienced relegation - something that was ironically mirrored here.

The natural next appointment would be a high profile player manager but unfortunately we are likely to be in the bottom run so would be a high risk strategy as another relegation would see us out of the league.

We would all like to see a manager with a proven track record here we are not an attractive package in division 4 so unless fitton digs deep we have to accept this is unlikely.

So to summarise we need a manager who

1) Has a personality to bring the best out of the players and unite the fans
2) Has the ability to identify formations that rip the opposition apart
3) Can bring a series of promotions back to the championship
4) Is committed to the club and prepared to stick with it even when bigger clubs come knocking during success (the club has already demonstrated that it sticks with managers when things go bad so expecting the reverse isn't unrealistic)

These may not seem like a big ask but getting all four is almost impossible and I don't think any of us know the answer.  The problem is Fitton will get slated at some point as he is the one who has to make the decision.

The other alternative is to hand all management responsibility to the TEF...

Harts out......he fails with number two....no need to look at the rest.

Clems Army!
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 10:01:44 »

Harts out......he fails with number two....no need to look at the rest.

I disagree - he know's we don't have the firepower to shoot ourselves out of trouble and doesn't want to play risky tactics that could have seen 3-4 goals conceded per game.  If we only have the capability to score a goal a game we have to ensure we concede none - if we were scoring 3-4 goals per game after Austin left then it would be different and he probably wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

Our problem was that under Wilson we were conceding more goals than we were scoring so the biggest problem to sort is goals conceded which I think he has stemmed to a degree but we were never going to start winning our games as we just don't have the firepower to do it
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 10:29:43 »

Our problem was that under Wilson we were conceding more goals than we were scoring so the biggest problem to sort is goals conceded which I think he has stemmed to a degree but we were never going to start winning our games as we just don't have the firepower to do it

The main problem this season has been an inability to score goals at home...and therefore win rather than draw games.

Our present total of 18 = the worst ever season of 55/56, when we finished 24th and had to apply for re-election.

All other seasons with a low total of home goals have ended in relegation 73/74....22 goals, 93/94....25 goals, 99/00...23 goals.  This season will be no different, apart from as things stand it will be the only season in our history, where we've failed to score at least 3 goals in any single home game at the CG. Thereby providing further evidence of the historic shitness of this squad.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #193 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 10:33:18 »

Add Charlie's goals and we'll be rising up the table.

Something we weren't doing under Wilson.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 12:55:06 »

I'd like to see Hart move to DOF so Fitton doesn't get too involved in the playing side of things. Think that would be a good move. Can see that happening if it's Trollope but if not it will just stay the same as it is now *gulp*.

They aren't going to increase the payroll for a DOF role, I don't think at our level there is a requirment, and I do not beleive that Fitton interferes any more than any other chairman does
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: