Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fitton and co...  (Read 39630 times)
nochee

« Reply #255 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 20:57:25 »

we will win on tuesday and saturday.

I dont think Exeter away will be easy at all, a draw at best.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 21:26:57 »

I dont think Exeter away will be easy at all, a draw at best.
Do you seriously think there's a chance we may not win? Hmmm
nochee

« Reply #257 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 21:42:16 »

I seriously do  Roll Eyes
flammableBen

« Reply #258 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 21:48:46 »

I think I went through the "We have to win at some point" phase a few weeks ago.

Supporting Swindon has always been a slightly masochistic past time, and our current run of form triggers that part of my brain a bit. If we're not going to turn things around then I'm far from above wallowing in our shit run. If we slump into our worst season in non-reg living memory then so be it.

Freddies Ferret

« Reply #259 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 22:06:13 »

I dont think we will win for the rest of the season! If we are going to break our winless record, we might as well shit on it!
Dozno9

« Reply #260 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 22:15:46 »

This is all just Wembley karma. It was all good then the karma God realised it was Swindon so he decided to shit on us for a season, just to make up for it.
deltaincline

« Reply #261 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 22:16:09 »

If we fail to win in the next 4 games, Andrew Fitton will have a number of unenviable records as Chairman and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he walked in the summer.

A good point, JTR. It worries me that Fitton will walk away from the Chairman's position if / when we go down.

Fitton, the board and the background investors like to give the impression of being a group of minted mates, who shoved a load of money in to save the football club and to run it sensibly as a business that will ultimately become self financing via the revenue form the redeveloped stadium.

The reality is probably more along the lines of it being a long-term investment that they planned to offload at some point, presumably making a healthy profit from it. Remember that the recession hadn't kicked in when they took control, so they will no doubt be falling well short of what they thought they'd do revenue/business wise, and the opportunity to make money out of it has been significantly diminished, if not dissapeared.

Relegation will be a financial disaster for the board. No amount of dressing it up will deny that fact.

Fitton is hurting big-style at the moment as everything is focussed on him now that Wilson has gone and he's appointed Hart on a shit-or-bust mission.

If Hart's mission fails, people are going to want answers. Many will use it as the excuse they needed not to buy a season ticket and the whole fucked-up situation will need even more funds thrown at it just as the plumetting revenue meltdown gets going as we fall through the L1 trap door and move into a tight summer period in revenue terms.

The crux of my point is that IF Fitton walks, will the other board members lose interest and also want away, or will one of them step into the limelight and take over from Fitton?

The fact that the club is a lot healthier in financial terms is more worrying than if it was debt-ridden, as it is a lot more attractive to another Diamandis-style raid, should Fitton and the board want out.

london_red

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 07:02:15 »

Great post delta, well summed up.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 07:22:09 »

Remember that the recession hadn't kicked in when they took control, so they will no doubt be falling well short of what they thought they'd do revenue/business wise, and the opportunity to make money out of it has been significantly diminished, if not dissapeared.

The recession had not yet started in Dec 2007, but the credit crunch happened the previous summer so I think everyone knew that recession was on its way.  This is the part of your post that I don't think I agree with...because making money from lower league football clubs is a mug's game.  And any profit that could be extracted over the medium term from a club like STFC would be small change to the likes of Jeremy Wray or Sir Martin Arbib.

I think that a more likely scenario is that the present board saw an opportunity to put a high profile local club back on its feet for relatively little outlay and then watch it as it grew.  I'm sure they thought that once the performance drag of the previous ownership was removed and the back office functions improved (which they did very quickly), the club would start to perform better on the pitch as a consequence.  That was a seductive argument for those of us who could see the damage that Diamandis' involvement, in particular, was doing.

In practice, the last 3 years have been great off the pitch, but (averaged out) not great on it.  What I'm trying to say, in a fairly long winded way, is I don't think Fitton's likely to walk just yet.  I don't think it's all about the money, for the reasons stated above.  And neither do I think he wants to be remembered as the chap who arrived to a great fanfare at the end of 2007, only to leave us 4 years later in a lower league than when he took over.  I think (and hope) he will want to stick around a while longer to get things working as well on the pitch as they do off it.
STFC Bart

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 07:42:09 »

totally agree with the above. Hope the fanbase keep the faith and stick with the club. This season whilst being a huge disappointment and underachievement-whats most important is that we bounce straight back and the board learn from their mistakes and dont repeat them
deltaincline

« Reply #265 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 08:21:31 »

What I'm trying to say, in a fairly long winded way, is I don't think Fitton's likely to walk just yet.  I don't think it's all about the money, for the reasons stated above.  And neither do I think he wants to be remembered as the chap who arrived to a great fanfare at the end of 2007, only to leave us 4 years later in a lower league than when he took over.

Fair point, Ardiles.

I wasn't suggesting that Fitton or the board just came in to bleed the club dry and to make money out of the development in a cynical way. More like you said, to improve everything, enjoy it on the way and to leave the club better off than it was when they arrived.

On the other hand, I think it would be naive in the extreme for anyone to think that they took over with altruistic intentions.

I still have faith in Fitton and the board. Like everyone else, I might bitch like fuck about the mistakes they've made, and I'm far from happy about this season, but I'd rather have them here than another bunch of wankers like Wills and Diamandis.

I'll also be paying for my season ticket this week.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 09:00:33 »

Spot on...on all counts.

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 09:44:32 »

the board will get a bloody nose in regard of season ticket sales.
if we are doing well next season it wont matter though,as fans will turn up and buy tickets for matches.
get next season wrong, then the club will be in big trouble.
what is done over the summer is massive for stfc's future
nochee

« Reply #268 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 20:42:28 »

Sad
STFC Bart

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 20:53:01 »

What an absolute shambles this club is.

To be honest- cannot see more than 2k season ticket sales and the board fully deserve this.

Public apology please fitton
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: