Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crawley Town  (Read 7122 times)
walrus

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 15:51:38 »

I feel its worthy of mention that Crawley (my hometown) have reached the fifth round and are playing Manchester United.  I was in the Swindon end for the third round, and gutted when we lost, but it has to be handed to Crawley that they're managing a very tidy season and the income from the United game will compensate the comparitively huge money on transfers they've spent.

Would I be a traitor if I went with the Crawley fans to United?  I'm toying with the idea of going, purely to see Old Trafford and a enjoy a piss-up round Manchester than anything else...  Worth blowing a couple of hundred for, or would I be better off following Town up to Carlisle....   Huh?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 15:52:38 »

Yes
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 15:54:09 »

Surely I've a right to have a little hop on their bandwagon?  I mean, with Swindon not doing very well this season I thought I might just go and support Crawley....   Fishing.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 15:55:38 »

Would usually want to see a non-league team do well but Crawley are incredibly unlikeable for some reason. And Steve Evans is a cunt.
Spencer_White

« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 16:12:23 »

weve already played Carlisle this season.

So yeah, you better follow your home town up there.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 16:32:50 »

Steve Evans is a crooked cunt.....did you see them kicking off before kick off against Torquay....?

Horrible lot....least Torquay looked up for it, whilst we rolled over....

I hope the fuckers miss out on promotion and Luton or AFC W get back in the league.

Then they are deducted points for fiddling.....or something....

Clems Army!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 16:44:17 »

Some chap on the Guardian Football Podcast today, possibly Steve Busfield said:

"There is no romance at all about Crawley Town. Interesting story, sure, but there's more romance in a Premiership Footballer's orgy than in Crawley Town"

Nail. Head. Hit.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 16:59:48 »

Some chap on the Guardian Football Podcast today, possibly Steve Busfield said:

"There is no romance at all about Crawley Town. Interesting story, sure, but there's more romance in a Premiership Footballer's orgy than in Crawley Town"

Nail. Head. Hit.

Spot on....if i hear 'NON LEAGUE' Crawley once fucking more!!!!

Clems Army!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 17:29:28 »

... and they write/talk about Serigo Torres as though he's never ventured beyond Non-League despite over 100 league appearances. I dare say that Torres turned down league offers before joining Crawley (the latter is fair enough if they were offering more but it's not as if he had to drop to the 5th tier)
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 09:50:36 »

... and they write/talk about Serigo Torres as though he's never ventured beyond Non-League despite over 100 league appearances. I dare say that Torres turned down league offers before joining Crawley (the latter is fair enough if they were offering more but it's not as if he had to drop to the 5th tier)

Torres was reported as being on £660 / week, which most league clubs could top.  I agree its not particularly romantic, given that the strikeforce alone cost half a million.  With Crawley's shady history I wouldn't be surprised if the bubble burst once more.  It's hard not to get caught up in the hype here - Manchester United is being whispered on every street corner. 

The Crawley game made me angry, as the local Millwall/West Ham/Chelsea fans suddenly became Crawley die-hards, and they played up to the cup minnows label despite the healthy finances.  Cup romances usually rely on the club needing the money from the gate receipts in order to avoid the dark cloud of a winding up order or something...

However, I can't help feeling a slight affinity as I live here, and I always look out for their results, even venturing to the odd game.  I'm leaning away from a trip to Old Trafford, as I think it'll be a let down in comparison to Wembley last year.  I can also see ticket prices being rediculously expensive, despite being an unaesthetic Crawley side and a United reserve team.

Spencer - the Carlisle comment was tongue in cheek.  I remember the game well as it cost me £90 in my accumulator (I know, I know, never bet on your own team)....
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 09:55:52 »

Torres was reported as being on £660 / week, which most league clubs could top.

Because the pay massive signing on fees up front, rather than high wages, presumably because there's a wage cap or similar in force.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 10:16:41 »

Torres was reported as being on £660 / week, which most league clubs could top.

Let's not forget Mr Evans has significant history with his players' "reported" wages being rather different to the actual amount they take home each week.

I hope Man United win about 12-0.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 10:46:23 »

Sorry I could never want ManUre to win any game. I also agree that Mr Evans is a grade A* Twat, so hope for 0-0 draw.

From the Dark Side
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 11:30:52 »

My friend at work is mates with Jamie Cook (ex scummer) who is currently bench-warming for Crawley. Apparently he is on £1200 a week :O
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 11:50:08 »

Sorry I could never want ManUre to win any game. I also agree that Mr Evans is a grade A* Twat, so hope for 0-0 draw.
Take it to a replay so Crawley can milk the tie for all it's worth? I think not. A routine 5-0 for United would be infinitely preferable in my view.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: