Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Wilson Hokey Cokey  (Read 31662 times)
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 10:18:02 »

Of all the names mentioned only Paul Tisdale and Paul Buckle appeal to me as they are hungry young managers. According to the font of knowledge (wikipedia), Tisdale's contract is up at end if this season with Buckle's up in November. Wouldn't have thought it'd cost too much in compo for either...
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 10:20:09 »

Having said that, I still think we need to give Wilson more time even though it's a risk as any new manager coming in would have to make do with the post-window squad.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:24:27 »

When Malpas left your wanted Dave Hockaday as manager.

A lot of us tried to be very supportive towards Danny in his first six months at the club,
but you took great delight whenever there was a setback, of telling us,"I just feel he's
not the right man for us".

You seem to have had a huge about turn or was it some road to Damascas (nee Walcot) moment?

Nah...head wanted Waddock but heart wanted Calderwood (wade through the 120+ pages of Sheena Easton's icy heart it's in there somewhere.

I was sceptical of Wilson to start with, as I felt we sailed a bit too close to the relegation wind. Nevertheless he did the job, then moved us forward. I also always said that was the easy part, the hard part being to drive us into the level above, which isn't our historic level.

At the moment we've stalled on that, but it is a tight league, and we're not that bad, Wilson should be given til the end of the season then review the situation.
Spencer_White

« Reply #123 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:31:53 »

I think weve actually improved from the football we were playing in october/early november. 

Just the fans were placated by how close we seemed to still be to the play offs in terms of points. Now the better teams are comming to the fore, and the league is a bit more accurate, lots of fans seem suprised that we are in the mid/lower part of the table.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:39:22 »

I dont think we should change unless we go on a Malpas style run of results.

That shit yesterday was Beamish....

Clems Army!
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:40:11 »

Improved?  I don't think so.  It's been generally poor but inconsistent during both periods.  Of last 4 games I watched we were poor for the whole game at Crawley and yesterday and first half vs Posh and were hardly sparkling against Sheff Wed.
In Oct / Nov were we good in 2nd half against Bristol Rovers and generally against Colchester, but admittedly were awful vs Orient and Charlton.
In all, not been good for a while, with the occasional glimpse of decent football keeping hopes going that we can return to last season's success.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:41:31 »

Improved?  I don't think so.  It's been generally poor but inconsistent during both periods.  Of last 4 games I watched we were poor for the whole game at Crawley and yesterday and first half vs Posh and were hardly sparkling against Sheff Wed.
In Oct / Nov were we good in 2nd half against Bristol Rovers and generally against Colchester, but admittedly were awful vs Orient and Charlton.
In all, not been good for a while, with the occasional glimpse of decent football keeping hopes going that we can return to last season's success.

Crawley and yesterday are in my top ten of shittest games ever seen at the CG.

Clems Army!
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:42:18 »

I am surprised Spence because I know we can do better. I think we all do. What pisses me off is the lack of effort etc from half the players and also the lack of quality. Like DRS says the confidence of the good players from last season like JP and Ferry seems totally shot. Not quite sure why results haven't gone our way on every occasion this season. At times we haven't looked too bad but at time we've also looked complete garbage. I just don't understand why we start so shit every game. Is there no motivation in the changing room before the players head out? For me it's a big issue. We all know about the other big issue as well which is as soon as we go behind we lack any sort of plan or desire to win a game. Something just isn't right there when you compare it to last season.
Spencer_White

« Reply #128 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:44:39 »

Improved?  I don't think so.  It's been generally poor but inconsistent during both periods.  Of last 4 games I watched we were poor for the whole game at Crawley and yesterday and first half vs Posh and were hardly sparkling against Sheff Wed.

Yep, the 4-5-1 experiment was a disaster.

I think we are a long way off being one of the 4 worst teams in the league. No manager can get us in the Play offs from here. Get over it and move on.
Spencer_White

« Reply #129 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:49:42 »

Crawley and yesterday are in my top ten of shittest games ever seen at the CG.

First half of the 07-08 season
First half of the 05-06 season (rock bottom at Christmas?!)
First half of the 00-01 season

All far far worse. Some of you lot are being drama queens. Yes, I know its a big come down, but I didnt think the squad was good enough for the top 6 after the Brentford draw in late August, the quality just wasnt there.

Our players performances have been lazy though. I think the fans are waking up, the fans could have put more pressure on the players to perform, but instead have sat back in their seats.

Were mid table in League 1, which is as far as Sturrock ever took us.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:50:20 »

I agree that we're far from one of the worst 4 teams in this league. But with the lack of fight that seems to be apparent in too many games recently we're in danger of falling into the "too good to go down syndrome."  The team needs to wake up to the fact that we're slipping towards the relegation zone and start performing to somewhere approaching full potential far more regularly - in particular we need to stop dropping so many home points.
Spencer_White

« Reply #131 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:53:49 »

I agree that we're far from one of the worst 4 teams in this league. But with the lack of fight that seems to be apparent in too many games recently we're in danger of falling into the "too good to go down syndrome."  The team needs to wake up to the fact that we're slipping towards the relegation zone and start performing to somewhere approaching full potential far more regularly - in particular we need to stop dropping so many home points.

I agree with everything you've said there.

But everyone is waking up. We had 4 games against Orient and Brentford this year at home and not won once. The fans should have been waking up back then, and maybe we could have put that to the players a bit more. As it is, the season as a challenge is dead. Lets see if we can get some better players in Jan, and lets see if we can get the players to show us some passion.
Spencer_White

« Reply #132 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:56:21 »

I am surprised Spence because I know we can do better. I think we all do. What pisses me off is the lack of effort etc from half the players and also the lack of quality. Like DRS says the confidence of the good players from last season like JP and Ferry seems totally shot. Not quite sure why results haven't gone our way on every occasion this season. At times we haven't looked too bad but at time we've also looked complete garbage. I just don't understand why we start so shit every game. Is there no motivation in the changing room before the players head out? For me it's a big issue. We all know about the other big issue as well which is as soon as we go behind we lack any sort of plan or desire to win a game. Something just isn't right there when you compare it to last season.

Agreed, Ferry and McGovern, 2 star performers from last year. Danny Wilson has messed around with their game this year. Unfairly keeping Ferry on the bench, and moving McGovern into the middle. Yes that was a fuck up. But they both played in their right positions in the last 2 games.

I think the fans are one step behind, we will go forward from here.

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:56:46 »

the football we are getting this season has been and continues to be shit.
no under or overeactions there,just the facts of the matter.
people have every right to be worried and pissed off with the situation.
if austin does go this month then will be looking over our shoulders, rather than up the table for sure.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 12:01:34 »

Agreed, Ferry and McGovern, 2 star performers from last year. Danny Wilson has messed around with their game this year. Unfairly keeping Ferry on the bench, and moving McGovern into the middle. Yes that was a fuck up. But they both played in their right positions in the last 2 games.

To me one of the key problems yesterday was the lack of an effective midfield.  Neither Both Ferry or McGovern were influential in the game and Prutton was once again far below par.  We missed Douglas a lot I think but I'm really unsure what would be our best midfield at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: