Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Wilson Hokey Cokey  (Read 31665 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:23:22 »

worse than us now but in alot better shape than when Trollope took over. he has improved Rovers alot.

Nemo got it spot on though, Trollopes best work was alongside Lawrence. I'm not sure how well he can do on his own.
Panda Paws

« Reply #76 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:23:44 »

Did alright with Lennie Lawrence there more like.

Fair point.

[idealist musing] Just looking at Eddie Howe and the 'muff spirit today made me so jealous. Cut him in two and he'd have AFCB written through him, along with the old boy up front. We need a Mr. Swindon, a young gun, a risk. Some spirit and unity would be lovely right now.

The campaign starts here. SSP for manager [/idealist musing]

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:26:00 »

worse than us now but in alot better shape than when Trollope took over. he has improved Rovers alot.

well the same could be said of wilson.he improved us alot.still doesn't make us good now though.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:34:25 »

No it couldnt.

We were a mid table looking over our shoulder L1 team (18th) when Wilson took over, two years later we are a mid table looking over our shoulder L1 team (18th) Thats not an improvement, is it.

Bristol Rovers had just finished 12th in League Two when Trollope took over, now they are sitting 21st in League One, so thats a definite improvement.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:37:47 »

So we just ignore everything in between?
Panda Paws

« Reply #80 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:38:31 »

No it couldnt.

We were a mid table looking over our shoulder L1 team (18th) when Wilson took over, two years later we are a mid table looking over our shoulder L1 team (18th) Thats not an improvement, is it.

But with a seemingly more expensive squad now
Rich Pullen

« Reply #81 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:39:23 »

There was no way we could even over-achieve our way to Wembley before Wilson.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:42:29 »

So we just ignore everything in between?

No. He improved us loads, got us to Wembley - great, fantastic

...and now has taken us all the way back to where he started.

Temporary improvement. Are we currently any better off than when Wilson took over? League Position suggests - no.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:45:52 »

I think Wilson has made some atrocious signings but sacking him isn't going to get rid of high-earners like O'Brien, Pericard, Dossevi, Prutton and Rose so I'm inclined to think what's the point? We got rid of a lot of deadwood last season but he's signed more expensive dead mahogany. His tactics only work when the team seems to be high on morale and working well as a unit, if the team suffers any form of inconsistency whether it be in terms of personnel or results, his game plan falls apart.

Regardless of what Dave says - i.e. he's taken us nowhere - he's actually taken us backwards since last season. That's reason enough for his days to be numbered.
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:48:22 »

Can i be the first to say "bring back Lou".

We have a decent squad, he's make them fit, hoof it up to Charlie, and voila promotion.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:50:08 »

yes, but on the flip side you could say the fact he took us forward last season is reason enough to stick with him.

not that, thats my view but some may hold that opinion.

We are in exactly the same league position now as when he took over 2 years ago. I dont see how you can total disregard that as its factual information you can measure against.

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:50:53 »

Can i be the first to say "bring back Lou".

We have a decent squad, he's make them fit, hoof it up to Charlie, and voila promotion.

i banged the macari drum last time round.not anymore though.
his managerial days are in the past now.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #87 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:55:26 »

but he would make a fantastic director of football with a player manager / young manager. He was bloody fantastic at picking up players for jack shit and making the best of what we had. He would be a great teacher to an up and coming manager
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:56:32 »

yes, but on the flip side you could say the fact he took us forward last season is reason enough to stick with him.

not that, thats my view but some may hold that opinion.

We are in exactly the same league position now as when he took over 2 years ago. I dont see how you can total disregard that as its factual information you can measure against.
The board have (supposedly) set targets for progress, so they must be measuring it on a season by season basis. We've taken a big step backwards since last season so he should have failed surely? I'm agree that the achievements of last season should not be ignored and as the squad is weaker now due to the departures of Greer and Paynter, neither of which he is accountable for, perhaps we ought to adjust accordingly.

Either way, Fitton would be a fool to get rid of Wilson without scoping out his options and having someone lined up to come in swiftly. No fucking about like in the past.

p.s. why Macari? He's been out of football for nearly a decade and I doubt he would be bothered with the hassle of management when he can pick up a paycheck for a few hours work on MUTV or SSN now and then
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, January 1, 2011, 21:58:43 »

Meh, if he goes and I sit pathetically on the fence, we could do a lot worse than Alan Knill.

Knill has done good jobs with peanuts to spend at Rotherham and Bury but I get the feeling the more mong-esque element of our fan base would just go "who" and as he's not a laugh a minute like Ian Holloway they'd be moaning if things didn't get better within 10-15 seconds.

Is it even mad to consider Wise back, or was Poyet the king behind the throne?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: