Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BLACKPOOL ROCK liverpool  (Read 4739 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 21:23:07 »

Kind of makes us look twats for not giving him the managers job when he was practically begging for it.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 21:33:59 »

said exactly that to my lad today.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 21:38:24 »

He might have done a worse job with us than Blackpool. He might not. I'm happy with Wilson and I enjoyed last season more than any for many a year!

That said, getting Wilson was more luck than judgement wasn't it? Weren't we after the kit man from Southampton or something, if wed have taken him instead of Holloway we could easily have looked like twats! Unless that was a smokescreen.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 21:51:45 »

That said, getting Wilson was more luck than judgement wasn't it? Weren't we after the kit man from Southampton or something, if wed have taken him instead of Holloway we could easily have looked like twats! Unless that was a smokescreen.

You're think of Richard Money who was the Academy Director at Newcastle United when we offered him the job, broke down over money I think (compensation to Newcastle?). Then Wilson got sacked by Hartlepool and we snapped him up on the spot, so it was lucky timing but still good judgement.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 21:56:17 »

Ian Holloway would be in the SPL if it wasn't for his coaching badges. Holloway took the Blackpool job because he was desperate to get back into the game. NOBODY would have anticipated what happened next.

Heck, Scunthorpe's physio became a decent manager.

Heck, Barcelona's former interpreter became a world class manager.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 22:10:38 »

NOBODY would have anticipated what happened next.

I thought I had by throwing my weight behind Holloway getting the job here before we got Wilson. But I just checked some old posts and that wasn't the case, apparently I thought he was a "fucking twat" and "the last person I'd want as manager".

Funny cos I think he's brill now.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 22:23:20 »

I'm warming to Holloway because as a football manager he's maturing.

Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of light hearted banter in the game but I didn't want to be a supporter of the Ian Holloway Circus.

Now, he's really taking it seriously within all aspects of his job. I get the impression that the Premier League media don't like it because they wanted the stupid quotes.
Gethimout

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 22:27:10 »

I'm warming to Holloway because as a football manager he's maturing.

Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of light hearted banter in the game but I didn't want to be a supporter of the Ian Holloway Circus.

Now, he's really taking it seriously within all aspects of his job. I get the impression that the Premier League media don't like it because they wanted the stupid quotes.

Watching Sunday suplemment. The critics openly agreed about this when Blackpool lost. Saying, how he should be who he's known as, not all serious etc.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 22:31:52 »

.... and it's ridiculous because of course Holloway is enjoying his time managing in the top flight! He just doesn't have to do a quote about badgers shagging or whatever it was to highlight this. They just want column inches.
Gethimout

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 22:36:34 »

.... and it's ridiculous because of course Holloway is enjoying his time managing in the top flight! He just doesn't have to do a quote about badgers shagging or whatever it was to highlight this. They just want column inches.

My point exactly!

What would Blackpool fans rather have?! Premiership football or some funny joke week in week out? Honestly, at the moment they've got the best of both worlds! To be fair to Blackpool they're giving it a bloody good go!!!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 23:39:36 »

I thought I had by throwing my weight behind Holloway getting the job here before we got Wilson. But I just checked some old posts and that wasn't the case, apparently I thought he was a "fucking twat" and "the last person I'd want as manager".

Funny cos I think he's brill now.
Kudos to jonny for not just checking but fessing up to it. For the record, I don't know if I posted it, but I felt about the same, as much as anything because of the way he hawked himself about (turning up in the Town End without notifying the club etc) which just seemed wildly unprofessional. I strongly suspect it's more a case of "right man, right club, right time" with Blackpool and that it wouldn't have worked here, but hell's teeth he's doing a very good job there. Got them playing some nice stuff, sticking to the game they know they can play and refusing to take the relegation fodder tag lying down.

Feel sorry for Hodgson though, Benitez left him a poisoned chalice, a mix those who just aren't good enough and even those that are are thoroughly demoralised. And he can't do much to change it - simple fact is, Liverpool just don't have the resources to compete on a level playing field with the big clubs these days. You know, clubs like Blackpool, Wigan, Stoke, Northampton
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 23:45:58 »

The impressive thing about Blackpool is that it's not just the club that look out of place in the Premiership- a fair few of those players were playing in League One a few years back- Gary Taylor Fletcher never really impressed me when he was pottering around League One with Huddersfield and that a few years ago, but look at him, and them, now.

It give us all hope. And it's the hope that gets you in the end.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, October 4, 2010, 00:10:04 »

Ha, ha, just seen highlights on MOTD2. "And now Kryiagkos, playing up front as an out and out striker". Liverpool, at home, against supposed relegation fodder, so desperate they resort to Andy King's famous "Van Der Linden Option". How are the mighty fallen, indeed.
flammableBen

« Reply #28 on: Monday, October 4, 2010, 00:16:10 »

We could do with Van Der Lindon and Heywood upfront at the moment.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, October 4, 2010, 00:43:10 »

Kudos to jonny for not just checking but fessing up to it. For the record, I don't know if I posted it, but I felt about the same, as much as anything because of the way he hawked himself about (turning up in the Town End without notifying the club etc) which just seemed wildly unprofessional.

Feel sorry for Hodgson though, Benitez left him a poisoned chalice, a mix those who just aren't good enough and even those that are are thoroughly demoralised. And he can't do much to change it - simple fact is, Liverpool just don't have the resources to compete on a level playing field with the big clubs these days. You know, clubs like Blackpool, Wigan, Stoke, Northampton

Holloway has really grown on me though, he's obviously getting a lot more coverage since he started challenging for promotion last season and the more I see of him the more I like. I also called Iain Dowie a fucking twat in the same post, I still stand by that but will happily admit I was wrong in the unlikely event of him stopping being a fucking twat.

Don't think you can blame Benitez for the poisoned chalice that is the Liverpool job, that lies solely with Hicks and Gillett. Though you do have to applaud their tenacity, who'd have thought you could buy a Premier League with just £50 in cash. It might not have worked out but they have got balls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: