Pages: 1 ... 1869 1870 1871 [1872] 1873 1874 1875 ... 1936   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4644811 times)
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #28065 on: Sunday, June 25, 2023, 21:31:01 »

Elton John is absolutely smashing Glastonbury.
Just a brilliant watch.
Destroying it. 1hr 30 mins and everyone knows every word to every song. Incredible to watch really.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #28066 on: Sunday, June 25, 2023, 22:24:16 »

Not my cup of tea, but fair fucks he’s impressive.

Queens of the Stone Age - fucking epic.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #28067 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 08:47:23 »

I thought it was brilliant.

Rick Astley was great on his own earlier in the day too, when doing his own stuff.

He does seem to have just hung around all weekend playing with anyone who will let him, as my missus noted its like he is the new Cliff Richard, he will be singing at Wimbledon next!

Not remotely my thing but it as obvious that if if were your thing Lizzo put on a bloody good show, plus the Manics were surprisingly good.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #28068 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 09:05:32 »

All I will say is whoever was in charge of sound and mixing at Glastonbury needs sacking, the sound was absolutely terrible.

But most people dont go to Glasto to listen to the music they go for the over all experience, its far too gentrified now anyway.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28069 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 09:19:07 »

Didn't watch any of it.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #28070 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 09:21:51 »

I only watched Blondie. I thought the music sounded very fresh and punky. Clem Burke was bashing the hell out of the drums and has still got it. Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols) on bass was interesting, but the 'younger' touring musicians were awesome and recreated the original vibe perfectly. Alas, Debbie Harry, sporting short skirt and thigh length boots, didn't sound so great. There were moments, but there were also long bits of struggle. But, at approaching 78, I guess you can't expect much more.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #28071 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 09:25:43 »

All I will say is whoever was in charge of sound and mixing at Glastonbury needs sacking, the sound was absolutely terrible.

On TV or live? I imagine mixing for the two is very, very different (and probably impossible simultaneously) even before you consider the variety of bands that are on. There were certainly a few singers that needed to be a bit more hidden in the mix than they might have been in their primes!

Enjoyed watching it over the weekend, sad not to have been there after doing four of the last five. Lots of older artists on at varying stages of decay, but in a crowd like that the quality of the songbook makes much more difference than the current state of their voices - saw that a few times including (for different reasons) Lewis Capaldi. There's a lot of goodwill in the Glastonbury crowd most of the time, it's not quite Daphne and Celeste any more!

Pretenders set is worth catching up with on iPlayer. Chrissie Hynde is cooler than any of us will ever be at 71. And Elton was great, wall to wall hits - everything McCartney should have been last year (confession: I left Macca after 20 minutes to go and watch Jamie T in a tent).

Have seen a few complaints about it being "all" older artists and I think that was true of the main Glastonbury channel on the BBC, but the younger types were well catered for with a wide range of artists that frankly I couldn't pick out of a line up but I understand are huge - Fred Again.., Central Cee, Aitch, Becky Hill, Wizkid and others. As always at Glastonbury, two people could go and conceivably see none of the same artists over a weekend.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 26, 2023, 09:28:15 by Nemo » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #28072 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 09:42:53 »

On TV or live? I imagine mixing for the two is very, very different (and probably impossible simultaneously) even before you consider the variety of bands that are on. There were certainly a few singers that needed to be a bit more hidden in the mix than they might have been in their primes!

Enjoyed watching it over the weekend, sad not to have been there after doing four of the last five. Lots of older artists on at varying stages of decay, but in a crowd like that the quality of the songbook makes much more difference than the current state of their voices - saw that a few times including (for different reasons) Lewis Capaldi. There's a lot of goodwill in the Glastonbury crowd most of the time, it's not quite Daphne and Celeste any more!

Pretenders set is worth catching up with on iPlayer. Chrissie Hynde is cooler than any of us will ever be at 71. And Elton was great, wall to wall hits - everything McCartney should have been last year (confession: I left Macca after 20 minutes to go and watch Jamie T in a tent).

Have seen a few complaints about it being "all" older artists and I think that was true of the main Glastonbury channel on the BBC, but the younger types were well catered for with a wide range of artists that frankly I couldn't pick out of a line up but I understand are huge - Fred Again.., Central Cee, Aitch, Becky Hill, Wizkid and others. As always at Glastonbury, two people could go and conceivably see none of the same artists over a weekend.

I was there for Daphne and Celeste back in 2000 or whenever it was!

I caught a little bit of it over the weekend. I didn't watch all of Guns and Roses, despite Slash's exquisite guitar playing, unfortunately I've never enjoyed listening to Axl Rose and whilst you have to give him his credit for sprinting around the stage at 61, I just can't listen to him.

I thought Manics and Lathums were decent and really enjoyed Elton last night, what an absolute catalogue of hits he has! Looking through the list of acts to watch on the Iplayer, I have to admit I haven't heard of much of the people you mentioned, and probably don't have a huge desire to check them out. I don't think you can argue it was a pretty diverse mix. My music taste isn't massively diverse, so it's probably not a festival I'd go out my way to go to anymore. But it seemed most people had fun and the weather looked tremendous. 

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #28073 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 09:47:04 »

To be fair, even if you were only into guitar-led music, you could have seen Foo Fighters, Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, Manics, Guns and Roses, Editors, Blondie, the Pretenders, Rick Astley/Blossoms do the Smiths, The Lathums, QOTSA, The War on Drugs, Courteeners, Maneskin and a fair few others just on the top few stages over the weekend, which isn't bad value at all.

The top of the bill always gets the attention but the difference between Glastonbury and other festivals for me is the depth - there are six or seven stages where I've heard of at least some of the acts, and then another 15 or so where I haven't, but could happily go and see something random for half an hour. Some of it might even be good!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #28074 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 10:02:20 »

I was there for Daphne and Celeste back in 2000 or whenever it was!

That was at Reading wasn't it?

Mate of mine works Glastonbury every year, not heard anything back from his this year yet?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #28075 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 10:04:20 »

To be fair, even if you were only into guitar-led music, you could have seen Foo Fighters, Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, Manics, Guns and Roses, Editors, Blondie, the Pretenders, Rick Astley/Blossoms do the Smiths, The Lathums, QOTSA, The War on Drugs, Courteeners, Maneskin and a fair few others just on the top few stages over the weekend, which isn't bad value at all.

The top of the bill always gets the attention but the difference between Glastonbury and other festivals for me is the depth - there are six or seven stages where I've heard of at least some of the acts, and then another 15 or so where I haven't, but could happily go and see something random for half an hour. Some of it might even be good!

Your absolutely right Nemo and whilst I generally do lean towards guitar-led stuff, one of my best memories was seeing Faithless at T in the Park who were about the second act on at about 2 in the afternoon! Live music is special and so random can often throw up some absolute gems.

I did have a look at tickets as it was on the bucket list and I think it was about £365 for the weekend? When you add in food and drink it is an expensive weekend. But when you break it down per day, that's £120 for a day and given the acts you can see, as you say it's not bad value. Just a little rich for my blood currently.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #28076 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 10:14:02 »

That was at Reading wasn't it?

Mate of mine works Glastonbury every year, not heard anything back from his this year yet?

Yeah, that was at the Reading/Leeds festival. I lived in Scotland at the time and we used to drive down to Leeds for it. The headline acts were Oasis on the Friday, Pulp on the Saturday and Stereophonics on the Sunday. My memory of the Sunday is vague, I think Daphne and Celeste were on after either Rage against the Machine or Eminem and before Slipknot, fair fucks to them for going out before that crowd!

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #28077 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 10:17:25 »

That Sunday afternoon (2000) is a remarkable line up - obviously they weren't all as big as they became, but Stereophonics headlining, Placebo sub and then the afternoon is Slipknot, Eminem, Blink182 and Rage Against the Machine... and Daphne and Celeste. I think all four of those acts have headlined since- Daphne and Celeste, not so much.

https://i.redd.it/7xuuqzzfa2sa1.jpg
adje

Ignore
« Reply #28078 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 10:44:17 »

Sparks the highlight for me. Cat Stevens fulfilling the "legend" role superbly too. Rest of what I saw was very ordinary I thought apart from Raye,who is great.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #28079 on: Monday, June 26, 2023, 13:46:24 »

Destroying it. 1hr 30 mins and everyone knows every word to every song. Incredible to watch really.
They kept showing Paul McCartney but he stayed in the Wings

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 1869 1870 1871 [1872] 1873 1874 1875 ... 1936   Go Up
Print
Jump to: