Pages: 1 ... 1822 1823 1824 [1825] 1826 1827 1828 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4539917 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #27360 on: Monday, October 10, 2022, 07:48:18 »

Mrs Bob and I are on hols at the moment and we went out on Friday night to our favourite bar. A friendly couple next to us realised we were relatively familiar with the place so we got chatting and spent a really nice couple of hours shooting the breeze with them, they were a bit older but lived in the countryside in Norfolk so we kind of had some common ground having recently moved slightly more rural.

Anyway, they had to leave and we went our separate ways. Later that evening we got our bill and they had paid for our bottle of wine, it knocked me back for a minute or so how kind a gesture this was, it shouldn't have surprised me I guess, the lady had been a nurse for the best part of 40 years.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #27361 on: Monday, October 10, 2022, 08:00:06 »

What a great gesture.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27362 on: Monday, October 10, 2022, 08:11:55 »

@bob That happened to us in Toronto a few years ago. It really did take me aback and remind me most people are decent

Couple of guys on the next table in Denny's were talking, one swore, realised we had kids and immediately apologised. Obviously said 'no bother, they hear worse from me at football'. He clocked the accent and we got talking a bit - he said he remembers how nice people were when he went to London.

He asks if we watch "hockey", said we keep an eye on the Leafs results but don't really watch many live games given the time difference. He asked if I new so and so player - I didn't - and the conversation continues for a bit before he went back to his breakfast.

When we go to leave, he's paid for the entire breakfast for our family of 4!

This isn't a one upman story.

Just to this day I have no idea if he was just being Canadian or was a Maple Leaf player! I'd look him up if I could remember what he looked like!

And to comment on the kindness of strangers. The world isn't full of arseholes, they just shout louder.

edit:
Just to this day I have no idea if he was just being Canadian or was a Maple Leaf player

Turns out the Leafs have had 8 (eight) black players in their 100+ year history. So no, it wasn't a Leaf.

« Last Edit: Monday, October 10, 2022, 09:28:15 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27363 on: Monday, October 10, 2022, 10:36:01 »

Mrs Bob and I are on hols at the moment and we went out on Friday night to our favourite bar. A friendly couple next to us realised we were relatively familiar with the place so we got chatting and spent a really nice couple of hours shooting the breeze with them, they were a bit older but lived in the countryside in Norfolk so we kind of had some common ground having recently moved slightly more rural.

Anyway, they had to leave and we went our separate ways. Later that evening we got our bill and they had paid for our bottle of wine, it knocked me back for a minute or so how kind a gesture this was, it shouldn't have surprised me I guess, the lady had been a nurse for the best part of 40 years.

Were car keys and a fruit bowl involved at any point?  Wink
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27364 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 18:59:57 »

not sure if it goes here or the other place

Fantasy Football League is back, on sky. Same format, same set nearly but statto, Frank and David have been grieved replaced by Matt Lucas and two guys I've never heard of

A lot of me enjoyed the nostalgia trip, part of me thought it was was so Skinner and Baddiel it should have been left alone or  reimagined
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #27365 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 20:02:49 »

not sure if it goes here or the other place

Fantasy Football League is back, on sky. Same format, same set nearly but statto, Frank and David have been grieved replaced by Matt Lucas and two guys I've never heard of

A lot of me enjoyed the nostalgia trip, part of me thought it was was so Skinner and Baddiel it should have been left alone or  reimagined

It's Swansea fan and comedian Elis James and another guy I've never heard of. I watched the first one expecting it to be god awful and I was pleasantly surprised it was actually OK and I did enjoy the phoenix from the flames piece.

I saw on the credits Swindon fan Ivo Graham was involved in the writing.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #27366 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 21:37:21 »

On the "nice people" theme, I had several beers purchased for me within the first week of moving to the USA while staying at a hotel as we were looking for a place to live.  I am fairly certain we'd have very little in common, but he heard the accent while I ordered a National Brand and demanded he buy some local brews once he heard the story of how I came to be there, so we'd know what to order in future.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #27367 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 22:10:00 »

On the "nice people" theme, I had several beers purchased for me within the first week of moving to the USA while staying at a hotel as we were looking for a place to live.  I am fairly certain we'd have very little in common, but he heard the accent while I ordered a National Brand and demanded he buy some local brews once he heard the story of how I came to be there, so we'd know what to order in future.

On a similar vein, when we were last in Orlando I broke my glasses in Universal. The guest services team put me onto a local opticians who I drove to before they closed. They took my glasses while I waited and repaired them. Wouldn’t take a cent from me for the repair. There is good out there, (don’t just mean the USA) if you look for it.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #27368 on: Saturday, October 15, 2022, 11:23:29 »

Watching an FAC tie on TV at the place I took my dog to puppy classes.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 15, 2022, 23:34:03 by donkey » Logged

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #27369 on: Saturday, October 15, 2022, 18:35:10 »

Derby having over half the crowd at Accrington,  2600 of 4800  Cheesy
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #27370 on: Saturday, October 15, 2022, 20:06:08 »

Women copying the men😀

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #27371 on: Saturday, October 15, 2022, 21:21:01 »

Derby having over half the crowd at Accrington,  2600 of 4800  Cheesy
Talking of crowds,just watching EFL highlights and,after giving it the big one last week,Stevenage looked like they had about 6 fans at Gillingham

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #27372 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 09:54:52 »

Talking of crowds,just watching EFL highlights and,after giving it the big one last week,Stevenage looked like they had about 6 fans at Gillingham
401 apparently! yes I cant believe it either!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #27373 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 10:20:39 »

Unless they were sat in the side stand where the players were celebrating I counted 6 or 7 behind the goal🤣

« Last Edit: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 10:31:11 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #27374 on: Sunday, October 16, 2022, 10:27:16 »

That's not bad for such a tiny club.
Pages: 1 ... 1822 1823 1824 [1825] 1826 1827 1828 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: