Pages: 1 ... 2334 2335 2336 [2337] 2338 2339 2340 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5066458 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #35040 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 13:14:13 »

The taps in the gents toilet in the Brunel. The spout overhangs the back of the sink bowl by about an inch, makes it tricky to wash your hands.

Yes! They are fucking awful. Try helping your 6 year old son wash his hands too. Nightmare.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #35041 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 13:25:06 »

A lot of these "foot crossings" without barriers do hark back to the early era of both horse drawn and steam powered trains.

Many humans are stupid/indecisive and largely pack mentality based. Surely wouldn't it just be a lot easier in the long run to install as many footbridges in locations where existing barrierless crossings are?

It would both reduce people standing on railway lines and reduce any potential accidental deaths. The cost measurement/ratio shouldn't come into question. If anyone is then stupid enough to go out of their way to trespass onto railway lines and gets hit then my sympathy will lay with the unfortunate train driver.

or install some kind of sensory device whereby if someone steps onto one of these crossings and has their phone in their hand or hands then they are instantly electrocuted.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #35042 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 13:26:43 »

As it was a sunny day I had my window wide open in the home office (more of a sky light really) and went down to have some lunch. During lunch it absolutely pissed down with rain and the seat is absolutely drenched! Currently sitting on a towel but the water has seeped through and I now have a wet arse. The dramas of working from home!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #35043 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 14:20:10 »

A lot of these "foot crossings" without barriers do hark back to the early era of both horse drawn and steam powered trains.

Many humans are stupid/indecisive and largely pack mentality based. Surely wouldn't it just be a lot easier in the long run to install as many footbridges in locations where existing barrierless crossings are?

It would both reduce people standing on railway lines and reduce any potential accidental deaths. The cost measurement/ratio shouldn't come into question. If anyone is then stupid enough to go out of their way to trespass onto railway lines and gets hit then my sympathy will lay with the unfortunate train driver.

If you wanna shell out £!00k+ per bridge just because people are fuckwits I have no idea who is going to pay for it!

Train divers have often been victims as well....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4672231.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3701204.stm

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #35044 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 15:31:21 »

If you wanna shell out £!00k+ per bridge just because people are fuckwits I have no idea who is going to pay for it!

Train divers have often been victims as well....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4672231.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3701204.stm

When the trains were starting to go to much higher speed and thus lines being amended to cope with the velocity, why not start thinking about the other measures that might help to not prevent these speedy fuselages on wheels from running?! Like footbridges in place of the older foot crossings? I know some have been done but it's clear a few more need doing.

Yeah, I did say quite a lot of people are fuckwits, no matter how much education is drilled into them. So with that in mind surely the damage limitation is to actually install them. I don't know the cost difference but I'm sure it would cost more to replace several train carriages, compensate lives of people impacted on the train etc, repair tracks/ballast, labour, as well as the cost of lost time, accident investigation and so on than a bridge at c£100k. An electric train alone costs around £1m...

I do get your initial points though so I'm not arguing against. Just that fuckwits will always exist. The Darwin Awards still exist too so natural selection will prevail. Talking of education I do remember the safety videos, rolled out on a cumbersome 4:3 ratio TV set (ooh what a treat). Mostly remember the ones about the dangers of crossing railways and strangely the dangers of pylons too.

In terms of pricing, looks like a lower cost future has began to arrived in the footbridge world...

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/network-rail-unveils-modular-railway-footbridge-which-can-be-erected-in-days-17-06-2021/

...looks pretty snazzy too from the old blueprint bridges currently installed.

As for the train drivers as victims, yep I've seen several stuff before and have full sympathy whichever end of it they are. Most cases they will always end up as one of the victims.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Barry Scott

« Reply #35045 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 11:40:26 »

I periodically have "mouse shoulder" despite using a trackpad, so decided to buy a mouse to change things up a bit.

Jesus, I can't stand the thing, even on max it's too slow, feels like I've gone back in time. That'll be going back on eBay I think.

I remember decades ago that I hated trackpads, I can't live without them now.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35046 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 12:11:10 »

Ha, I liked the old ball weighted mouse. You had to de-fluff them from time to time.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #35047 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 20:17:11 »

Sour grapes  Crying

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9771965/Bitter-TV-presenters-Spain-claim-pathetic-Euro-2020-conditioned-England-win.html

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #35048 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 01:14:19 »

Sour grapes  Crying

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9771965/Bitter-TV-presenters-Spain-claim-pathetic-Euro-2020-conditioned-England-win.html

Non story, Daily Mail. Move along, nothing to see here.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #35049 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 06:00:23 »

Clap Clap

So, give no fucks
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #35050 on: Sunday, July 11, 2021, 11:52:14 »

The wankfest that Messi has finally won an international trophy. He went missing in the biggest game he will ever play (World Cup final) - that is when 'true greats' put in their performances
In fact, the whole Ronaldo v Messi thing is dull

I come from a land down-under
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35051 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2021, 11:13:48 »

Should never be released

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-57737050
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35052 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2021, 11:19:29 »

yup. The law is an ass.

But it is the law. the government tried to keep him in (holy fuck, buckland tried to do something right). There are no grounds
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35053 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2021, 11:42:59 »

Someone who intentionally kills someone, not once but again should never be released. Bollocks if they think he's getting better, his victims never had the chance to live a full life.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #35054 on: Tuesday, July 13, 2021, 11:45:32 »

Someone who intentionally kills someone, not once but again should never be released. Bollocks if they think he's getting better, his victims never had the chance to live a full life.
I agree.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 2334 2335 2336 [2337] 2338 2339 2340 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: