Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 1343 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5085256 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #20085 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 13:30:47 »

There was widespread support for Germany by much of the establishment in the early 20th century, and this extended as far as accommodating Hitler and the Nazi Party.  Germany was seen as a natural ally of Britain by many.  There was also a strong feeling that Germany had been unfairly hammered by the settlement at Versailles in 1919 and that Hitler was righting some historical wrongs.  There was also widespread distrust of France, for historical reasons - and a strong Germany was seen as a way of keeping France in check.

Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler in 1938 was motivated to a large degree by a feeling that we shouldn't stand in Hitler's way in putting Germany back on its feet again.  And even as late as 1940, Lord Halifax wanted accommodation with the Nazis.  (Even after going to war with them, a lot of folk felt that, as natural allies, we should be forming an alliance with Germany rather than prolonging what already seemed like a futile war.  Thankfully, Churchill had other ideas and faced Halifax down.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1940_War_Cabinet_Crisis

All seems fantastically naïve with the benefit of hindsight - but that is just what this is.  Edward Windsor clearly held some unfortunate views, but you have to see them through the prism of the time.  Judging them by today's moral standards doesn't mean a lot, in my book.

Put this another way.  In 80 years from now, how is the society of 2095 going to judge us today?  I can guarantee that there will be a mountain of issues that we will be castigated for.  And most of them, we are not yet aware of.  And as for having a pop at a 7 year old...
Skinny Pete

« Reply #20086 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 13:43:36 »

Not just any old 7 year old, though.

Fraulein Elizabeth was only following orders!
Flashheart

« Reply #20087 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 14:12:41 »

Hitler was even on Times Magazine as 'man of the year' once before it all kicked off.
Flashheart

« Reply #20088 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 14:14:08 »

Not just any old 7 year old, though.

Would her being a princess (at the time) mean she was able to predict what would happen in the future?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20089 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 14:15:25 »

There was widespread support for Germany by much of the establishment in the early 20th century, and this extended as far as accommodating Hitler and the Nazi Party.  Germany was seen as a natural ally of Britain by many.  There was also a strong feeling that Germany had been unfairly hammered by the settlement at Versailles in 1919 and that Hitler was righting some historical wrongs.  There was also widespread distrust of France, for historical reasons - and a strong Germany was seen as a way of keeping France in check.

Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler in 1938 was motivated to a large degree by a feeling that we shouldn't stand in Hitler's way in putting Germany back on its feet again.  And even as late as 1940, Lord Halifax wanted accommodation with the Nazis.  (Even after going to war with them, a lot of folk felt that, as natural allies, we should be forming an alliance with Germany rather than prolonging what already seemed like a futile war.  Thankfully, Churchill had other ideas and faced Halifax down.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1940_War_Cabinet_Crisis

All seems fantastically naïve with the benefit of hindsight - but that is just what this is.  Edward Windsor clearly held some unfortunate views, but you have to see them through the prism of the time.  Judging them by today's moral standards doesn't mean a lot, in my book.

Put this another way.  In 80 years from now, how is the society of 2095 going to judge us today?  I can guarantee that there will be a mountain of issues that we will be castigated for.  And most of them, we are not yet aware of.  And as for having a pop at a 7 year old...

Surely moral standards transcend time....which is why religions were formed thousands of years ago, but still resonate today, for some people...
Skinny Pete

« Reply #20090 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 14:15:33 »

You're right.

Appeasement was widespread
Flashheart

« Reply #20091 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 14:20:42 »

Surely moral standards transcend time....which is why religions were formed thousands of years ago, but still resonate today, for some people...

Religions are not a good example of good moral standards, Reg
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #20092 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 14:22:16 »

CJ Samson's book "Dominion" is set in an England that made peace with Germany in 1940.  Quite a good read.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #20093 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 16:05:32 »

Considering he could have just looked at the floor twiddled his thumbs etc, to make such a big gesture of turning his back on it suggests that he does feel incredibly strongly about it or alternatively its just important to him to be seen to be caring about it - I assume he will be doing the same whenever he plays abroad with the Republic of Ireland and they play the host nation anthem.

It is really does mean so much to him I actually feel sorry for him, he must hate living over here having to look at money with the Queens head etc?

As for the Morrisons thing, this is just another example of the need for people to find something to be outraged about!

He didnt turn his back, he just didnt turn and face it.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #20094 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 17:54:52 »

I wasn't sure if this belonged in this thread, or the "make you feel good" one, but decided this was probably best.

We sold the wife's Clio over the weekend because we need something bigger to fit the kids/dog/bikes in and for longer trips/tip runs etc. I now find myself drawn to either a Citroen Picasso or a Volvo V40. I am definitely old before my time.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #20095 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 18:41:17 »

Welcome.  It happens to us all.  Smiley
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #20096 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 20:56:35 »

Audi RS6 estate?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #20097 on: Tuesday, July 21, 2015, 09:35:02 »

I've only got about a grand to play with, so whatever I get is going to be a bit of a shed.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #20098 on: Tuesday, July 21, 2015, 10:18:26 »

A fractured right radius up by my elbow. Not sure how long I'm off work but it's been a week now.  Sad
Flashheart

« Reply #20099 on: Tuesday, July 21, 2015, 11:28:15 »

So we go to clean up the balcony, which is caked in bird shit, after the baby pigeons have finally left only to find another fucking nest with an egg in it. These pigeons are breeding like rabbits. Flying rabbits.
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 1343 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: