Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stephen Darby  (Read 6454 times)

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 13:04:40 »

the team should stay the same.you dont go to leeds and win 3-0 to change it.(barring injuries of course)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 13:08:56 »

We have three matches in seven days...the team will change at times i have no doubt about that.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 13:24:24 »

I think Darby offers more defensively than Amankwaah does. The backwards header to prevent that looping cross from going in yesterday was superb (it was nowhere near over the line Jonny).

It looked over to me but that was probably due to where I was standing and the beers I'd had before the game.

I thought Leeds were pulling our defenders all over the place yesterday with their movement which gave the impression LJF maybe wasn't having his best game. But the good thing was the way the whole team covered, the midfield was back covering when they needed to be and they didn't get in behind us that much. Even when they did there was cover.

Darby is getting better and better with each game, he looks more solid than Amankwaah defensively and is getting more confidence to push forward. Dropping him for Amankwaah would be very harsh and I can't see it happening myself.

Not sure what to do with LJF. Though over their last few games at CB I reckon LJF has been better than Cuthbert, so I'd go with LJF at CB and Sheehan at LB. Its obvious LJF is a bit of a confidence player and dropping him when he's been playing so well won't do him any favours, whilst leaving Cuthbert on the bench will give him bit of a kick up the arse so he plays out of his skin the next chance he gets.
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 13:38:11 »

I mentioned this in another thread, but how nice is it having strength in depth?

This squad really does piss on the 2004 one. We're talking about leaving a couple of quality performers this season in Big Kev and Cuthbert out of the side, testament to Wilson for what he's building.

Darby's looked unspectacular but solid, which I won't complain about, seems level-headed as well.
Barry Scott

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 14:00:35 »

We could always rest Greer and play Cuthbert and LJF at CB.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 14:29:03 »

We have three matches in seven days...the team will change at times i have no doubt about that.

I think Sheahan will start on Monday at the expense of LJF, with Cuthbert and Greer starting.  Otherwise, it will be a case of knocks and strains. 

It's going to be interesting game, will Tranmere try and do as they did against Norwich by attacking from the start or do they do a Bristol Rovers by trying to hit us on the break.  I have a feeling Norwich underestimated Tranmere. Shirtliff was of course at Tranmere last season so it is certain they won't be underestimated.  A draw would be a very good result for Tranmere who have a poor away record so far.  I expect Tranmere will try and keep it tight and try and nick something when they can. 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 14:38:40 »

sheehan in for lecs and that's our starting 11 for me too
fish head

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 14:40:51 »

I think Sheahan will start on Monday at the expense of LJF, with Cuthbert and Greer starting.   

id agree with that.
LJF will lose his place just like Phil Smith was unlucky to lose his place after playing quite well when Lucas was out injured.

PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 15:26:10 »

I agree with Jonny on this one. Dropping LJF after he has put in some fantastic performances at CB in recent weeks, would be a killer blow to his confidence. Resting Greer and bringing Cuthbert in would make more sense, but saying that, having the cool head of Greer at the heart of the defence is important. It's a tough decision, but i'd go with Greer and LJF at CB. This will also send out a message that nobodies place in the team is a cert, no matter how good you are.

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
nochee

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 15:26:31 »

id agree with that.
LJF will lose his place just like Phil Smith was unlucky to lose his place after playing out of his skin when Lucas was out injured.

corrected for you
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 15:30:40 »

Darby was superb yesterday. Just looked so composed on the ball. LJF isn't a LB. Simple as that. I think Ward played at LB in the first half with LJF in a centre back trio. Well it seemed that way at least. I thought he had a decent enough game but lost his position so much. You can tell that he wants to plat at CB.
santasdead

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 15:44:41 »

It's going to be interesting game, will Tranmere try and do as they did against Norwich by attacking from the start or do they do a Bristol Rovers by trying to hit us on the break.  I have a feeling Norwich underestimated Tranmere. Shirtliff was of course at Tranmere last season so it is certain they won't be underestimated.  A draw would be a very good result for Tranmere who have a poor away record so far.  I expect Tranmere will try and keep it tight and try and nick something when they can. 

Remeber Tranmere got two penalties - which won the game, I think the teamtalk for our lads will be to not give away penalties. Even with Norwich down to 10 men they seemed to boss the game and manage to play their football. All we have to do is breakdown the Tranmere defence and score - we did it four times last time out and now we have a stronger team - whereas they really dont.

Bck to Darby - He's mint.
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 16:05:25 »

there are bound to be changes for the game against tranny i can see manky maybe getting a start  Yes
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 16:13:17 »

I think Ward played at LB in the first half with LJF in a centre back trio. Well it seemed that way at least. I thought he had a decent enough game but lost his position so much.

I noticed that but couldn't quite figure out what was going on. Ward was dropping deep a lot and LJF was away from the LB position a lot as he tracked players. Maybe it was tactics, maybe it was just them trying to handle the movement of the Leeds players and maybe it was bad play. But it worked which is the important thing. Seemed to revert back to normal in the 2nd half.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, April 4, 2010, 16:26:30 »

I'd keep the same back 4. Sheehan has been our weakest link recently and JFL is playing very well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: