Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What ever happened to the Fanzine THE 69ER?  (Read 11812 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 14:21:07 »

Do you remember it?

Did you contribute?

Why did it stop?

Do the chaps (and chapess if i remember) still follow the town?

Discuss.......

Clems Army!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 14:44:26 »

Like a lot of other fanzines, it disappeared around the same time that the internet took off.  Fanzines used to be a way for budding writers to let off steam.  From the mid-1990s, there was the STFC e-mail list (anyone else on here remember that?) and then the forums took over.  The hard copy fanzine became redundant, I'd say.

I did contribute once or twice.  And I know the people who used to run it are still following.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 14:54:59 »

Well I don't know about 'the 69er' but I can confirm that the 'Randy Robin' decided to shut it's doors because of the Swindon Town e mail list. That e mail list was awesome, not least because you couldn't do smiley faces.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 15:01:23 »

Ah...the Randy Robin.  Started by a spotty teenager with too much time on his hands, as I recall.  (Smiley thing, smiley thing.)
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 15:11:25 »

I remember it - I don't think I ever really "got it" as I was too young but think my dads still got loads with all his programmes might ask him to dig some out
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 15:15:56 »

It's a shame fanzines aren't around in the same way, come to think of it.  Footballing satire is great fun.  I was (am) quite gullible and remember getting most of the way through a 'Hello!' style piece interviewing Shaun Taylor at home with his posh Mrs and pony obsessed children (Lucinda and Tristan)...before realising it was a wind up.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 15:19:06 »

i think there could still be a place for a decent fanzine.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 15:19:38 »

I do remember the 69er.  Was a great read.  One thing that sticks in my mind was the poem 'the battle of st andrews' following that incredible 4 - 6 victory (and the rather tetchy birmingham fans response) in our promotion year.

I do miss having something decent and irreverent to read on the terraces.

Never knowingly overstated.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 15:22:18 »

Bring The Noise anyone?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 15:26:09 »

I do remember the 69er.  Was a great read.  One thing that sticks in my mind was the poem 'the battle of st andrews' following that incredible 4 - 6 victory (and the rather tetchy birmingham fans response) in our promotion year.

I do miss having something decent and irreverent to read on the terraces.

That piece was written by my friend James' Dad.  Remember it well.

i think there could still be a place for a decent fanzine.

Interesting thought.  The novelty value of having another one after so long could be enough to make it work.  These things usually take off when the club is on something of an upswing...so now might be the right time (if anyone has any time).
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 15:45:12 »

I remember it - I don't think I ever really "got it" as I was too young
     Please could you start a new thread on this Charlotte ?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 16:03:43 »

I was a regular contributor-cartoons and articles to both BTN and the 69er.I am still in contact with Anna who was the ed of 69er,she still is a season ticket holder in the DRS.I have every copy still and the original drawings I submitted.It was an interesting time for the Town and course,plenty to write about.Fanzines however have been somewhat undermined by the internet unfortunately.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 16:16:23 »

Ah...the Randy Robin.  Started by a spotty teenager with too much time on his hands, as I recall.  (Smiley thing, smiley thing.)

Still got some copies in the loft, I keep meaning to bring one along to a match to get an autograph.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 16:55:30 »

Still got some copies in the loft, I keep meaning to bring one along to a match to get an autograph.

I don't think I've even got them myself, and my parents copies got lost in a move years ago. Part of me would like to lay eyes on a few of the old copies, part of me would be mortified by the sight  of them.

I was very young, and though I can credit the e mail list for giving me a cheaper and easier outlet, it's demise did coincide with me and the other contribs discovering friday nights...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 16:57:46 by PetsWinPrizes » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 17:00:46 »

I'm due up there soon, i'll dig one out and bring to Exeter or Millwall, although do prompt me nearer the time!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: