Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Statement from Sir Seton Wills  (Read 8716 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 00:11:35 »

Tomorrow is today.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 00:12:53 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Tomorrow is today.

Please stop correcting me Reg

Soapy Tit Wank

/
W56196272
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 00:16:09 »

Please stop correcting me, Reg
mrs_spacey

« Reply #63 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 00:18:35 »

Quote from: "pauld"

We don't - we speak for our members. And if you don't like what we're saying we're a democratic organisation - join the Trust, stand for the (Trust) board and knock some common sense into us. Or come to a members' meeting and tell us where we're going wrong.

Surely the onus is on you to tell us where you are going right.  

Incidently, how many members does the Trust have?

And how many members turned up to your last meeting?

Why should I join?

Well, it's not just a company is it? It's a football club we all, as fans, have a profound stake in (not to mention having put a shedload of money in over the years in season tickets etc). Let's face it, if it was just a business, it'd have gone to the wall years ago. And to be fair, what we've tried to do is not just have a go but offer help as well and where we think something's been done wrong, offer constructive criticism. Like with the alternative ticket prices proposals. You might not personally have been impressed with them - fair enough - but they were as well researched as they could be without access to the actual gate receipts, costed, well-thought out. And come on, you must admit, it's certainly a damn sight better than just going "WAaaahhh! Prices too high!" Please remember as well, the proposal was supposed to be the basis for a discussion with the club when we met for the consultation on ticket prices which Bob Holt publicly promised to do but the board then backed out of that consultation. I'd have welcomed (and still would) someone from the board going through the figures with us and proving that we were just wrong and that the prices they've set are necessary. Fair enough - we offered tonight in fact that if they can do that and prove there is a genuine business plan and analysis behind the ticket prices, and that our figures are bollocks, we'll put out a press release saying so. No probs.

No I think you'll find it is a company which needs to trade as a going concern to be signed off by the auditors.

Yes ticket prices are high.  But they are not silly.  With regard to the Trust ticket price proposals I wasn't impressed - again I'm sure it was done with the best intentions and perhaps what we were shown on the trust website wasn't what was presented to the Club (I mean in terms of presentation).

I do stuff like that on a day to day basis and I know how you can pick and choose what info to include and what stance you choose whatever analysis you like at the end of the day.  Equally important, however, is how you present your findings.

We all know if youspeak to Bob Holt and Sandy Gray - they're not experienced at dealing with this sort of thing, although I'm sure they are very nice people.

I'm not here to defend Justin - he's a politico and more than capable of fighting his own corner - but as I remember it, he didn't slag you off on our site that was Gerald Phillips/Gerry/StiltonRed/bobby "defending" him. And erm, well, you don't need me to tell you what Gerald's like. And I'm certainly not defending him!!

Can you really get four bags of rubbish in a wheelie-bin? Did he say if we can all have one? I could really use one to be honest.

Lie down with dogs and you get fleas!

If you need information on wheelie bin capacity - Tomlinson is your man - its only a matter of time before a new career in refuse collection beckons for the poor lad...

Cheesy
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 01:12:05 »

Whether we like it or not the Trust will be the body that picks up the pieces of STFC when the shit hits the fan as is looking increasingly likely. This is because its an organisation, which is part of a wider community, charged with the task.

I'd hope we don't have to. From what I can gather from some months of lurking (having only broken my posting cherry tonight), you think we all want the club to go tits-up so we can form some kind of AFC Swindon, but I can assure you we bloody don't. What we'd like is to see a well-run club that connects with the community its based in, where the town appreciates the club and vice-versa. Hell, we may even get a few more people coming thru the gates. But that's the kind of dangerous radicals we are and why we have to be so thoroughly stamped on when we dare to raise questions about whether, possibly, things are not being run quite so well as they might be. Bloody nutters, the lot of us.

It is also right and proper that questions are being raised as to the running of the club. I would like the Trust at the AGM to oppose the re-election of Sandy Gray, and offer an alternative candidate as a director.....obviously this is no more than a gesture, but is the correct vehicle for registering dissatisfaction.

Actually I wouldn't. But the Trust will be voting in line with your wishes, Reg. Personally I think Sandy Gray has actually been a convenient scapegoat for decisions taken higher up the chain than her. Plus she's been dumped into a public-facing role she's clearly uncomfortable with and I suspect didn't want. All of which makes her an easy "whipping-boy". Which is why at the last members' meeting I voted against the proposal that the Trust should oppose her re-election as a director. But I lost the argument and was outvoted so the Trust will be voting against Sandy Gray's re-appointment as a director, as you wish Reg. But that's the nice thing about the Trust (and pretty much the whole point) - every member has an equal vote so it's a forum where every fan's voice counts. Paradoxically, I was almost happy to be outvoted (tho I still think its unfair on Sandy Gray) as it shows we're an organisation where the fans count and no-one can play Billy Big Bollocks (as my mate Luggsy would say).
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 01:20:21 »

Quote from: "mrs_spacey"

We all know if youspeak to Bob Holt and Sandy Gray - they're not experienced at dealing with this sort of thing, although I'm sure they are very nice people.

Bob Holt has been the Acting CEO of the club all season until he was replaced by Sandy Gray, who I have it on good authority (Sandy Gray's - she told us in the meeting we had with her earlier this evening) will be confirmed in this role on a permanent basis at Tuesday's AGM. So when you say "they're not experienced at dealing with this sort of thing, although I'm sure they are very nice people" - they're running the club. And you're happy with this?
mrs_spacey

« Reply #66 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 01:33:48 »

Bob Holt has been the Acting CEO of the club all season until he was replaced by Sandy Gray, who I have it on good authority (Sandy Gray's - she told us in the meeting we had with her earlier this evening) will be confirmed in this role on a permanent basis at Tuesday's AGM. So when you say "they're not experienced at dealing with this sort of thing, although I'm sure they are very nice people" - they're running the club. And you're happy with this?

The whole point is that its not up to me.  

Its difficult for me to comment on SG's ability on a personal level, however it has been noted by a number of people that SG may not be sufficientltly experienced for such a role.  Removing myself from my love of STFC and trying to look at this in my professional capacity and objectively, I reckon they have a point - but what is the alternative?  

Do we suggest some trust person who has what experience exactly?

Any other alternatives?

What would rocking the boat at the meeting achieve?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 02:02:34 »

Its difficult for me to comment on SG's ability on a personal level

Why? I've met her and I've said what I think - she's being made the scapegoat for some poor decisions being made above her. You've said you don't know whether she's any good or not but you defend those very same decisions and you "don't want to rock the boat". Me, I want the club to be well-run. So hang me.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #68 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 02:04:37 »

I'm going to disregard anything that has been said after your "I'm off to bed shortly" post, as clearly this statement was false  Wink
mrs_spacey

« Reply #69 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 02:11:01 »

Its difficult for me to comment on SG's ability on a personal level

Why? I've met her and I've said what I think - she's being made the scapegoat for some poor decisions being made above her. You've said you don't know whether she's any good or not but you defend those very same decisions and you "don't want to rock the boat". Me, I want the club to be well-run. So hang me.

I haven't met her, I do not have a copy of her cv or references, or have I spoken to anyone in an official capacity about what exactly her role will entail.

I really want to avoid the comments that are to be expected of some people along the lines of SG she's rubbish/crap/a woman...blah blah etc..

I honestly don't know.  

Although I know all about Holy, Wills, Diamandis, Carson etc

I want the club to be well run too Cheesy .

In what way would you want to run the club differently?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, May 28, 2005, 09:38:02 »

Whether we like it or not the Trust will be the body that picks up the pieces of STFC when the shit hits the fan as is looking increasingly likely. This is because its an organisation, which is part of a wider community, charged with the task.

Couldn't agree more Reg.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: