Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If Cox goes in January  (Read 18224 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 11:19:06 »

Saying we won't let him go for less than 5million doesn't make him worth 5million. He's only worth that if someone will pay for it.

Billy Sharp seems a good example of transfers around our level, he went for £2million but only after getting Scunthorpe promoted. Probably a more realistic maximum figure, cox hasn't achieved what he had yet.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 11:21:22 by flammableBen » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 11:22:04 »

I agree ith RRR, my take too. Cox has said he doesn't want to go, he wants to go up to the championship with us. So lets tie him in with a 5 year deal, & not let him go unless we are offered sufficient to basically replace a whole team at our level.
Barring injury, which you can insure against he should be worth more the longer he stays.

hahahahahhahaha

Things get better but they never get good
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 11:30:46 »

Saying we won't let him go for less than 5million doesn't make him worth 5million. He's only worth that if someone will pay for it.

Billy Sharp seems a good example of transfers around our level, he went for £2million but only after getting Scunthorpe promoted. Probably a more realistic maximum figure, cox hasn't achieved what he had yet.

Peterborough asked for 4-5 million for Aaron Mclean when Wolves came sniffing around and this was when they were in League 2 I think. Wolves offered between 1-2 million so Posh told them to bolt.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 11:45:43 »

Cox at present is worth 1.5 max.. at the end of the season with 30 goals still 1.5 max. If he gets 30 next year in Div 1 still1.5. He'll maybe be worth 2.5 very tops if we were in the championship. Never ever going to be worth 5M. that's a joke.
Maguire11

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 13:23:41 »

what happend the last time we sold our top goal scorer in Jan?

didnt we go down!  Sad

i think that Fitton should offer Cox a new contract as Coxy said himself he does not want to leave and if he was offered a new contract then he would have no problem putting pen to paper!!!

Swindon Town League 2 Champions - 2012
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 13:26:34 »

Or all this stuff in the papers what hes said could just be bollocks to keep us happy...

FWIW my Spurs supporting workmate asked me about him. I said he was better than Pavlyuchenko.

Stupid cunt believed me too
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 13:39:38 »

The only thing Cox is better at than Pav is...............speaking English!!!
RedRedRobin

« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 15:55:48 »

We would get 2 million tops for Cox I reckon.
I,m sure thats fair value now but people seem to be missing my point which is his value down the line. his real value which will be apparent if we can hold him here till the end of 2009 season with a hatfull of goals scored for two full seasons. This point is still 1 ,2/3rds  seasons away. Af is no fool. We do not have to give Cox  away for peanuts. Af will prob tie him him to a longer term contract and stick out for 5mil at end of 2009. Examples of this kind of money are thin on the ground but its all down to negotiation for a then well proven commodity. stop thinking of the old boards amateurish  attitude and take some comfort in AF'S  skills. Why sell him to a Champ side who will then double their money with a sell on when we can have it all ourselves or perhaps even keep him longer term; better still.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 16:06:40 »

I admire your optimism RRR, but you talk about all of this as if it is a certainty when its clearly not.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 16:12:35 »

But you've missed everyone else's point that no player has ever got such a high transfer fee from a league 1 team. £5m you'd get for a top scorer in the upper reaches of the Championship. We're not there now and we wont be next year.

If we keep Cox beyond January it's because we want his goals for longer, not because we reckon we'd get more money come the end of the season. The difference is, we're not the cash strapped club we used to be, we just want to be a financially stable one, which we're still working towards. There's no need to sell Cox in January to achieve this (if we need to sell at all), when we could sell him at the end of the year. Selling in January will only get us the cash sooner. There may not be a need for a hit of cash so soon.

In fact, what happens next year and the year after that and so on?  I'd stop worrying about one player, because in the long run that one player is not going to make us financially self-sustainable, which is the objective of the Board for the Club. They have identified selling players could be the answer to this, but in order to do that we're going to need better players than those we have already, because most of them are not saleable assets. So in fact if we're going to ahieve our goal, we're going to become a stronger team anyway.

flammableBen

« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 16:13:40 »

Boo sipie beat me to typing this out but I'll post it anyway.

Do you not see the problems with all the if's in your optomistic masterplan RRR? Even by your thinking it requires:

Cox to stay fit until the end of next season.
Cox to stay in the same vain of form until the end of next season.
Cox willing to stay if a big club comes in (I don't think he'd be ignored if he requested a move, unhappy players tend to be shit anyway)
Cox signing a contract extension (also pretty unlikely, if he doesn't he'll only have a year left on his contract.)
The club being willing to turn down large offers for cox (We're still going to be a selling club)

Even then I doubt we'd get 5 million at the end of 09/10 without these extra things happening...
Promotion this year.
Cox being top scorer in the championship next year.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 16:39:44 »

...and if he does go in Jan we should get Steve Brooker from Bristol City - thats my input anyway
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 16:42:27 »

But we'll lose up to £3.5m by selling him in january! 

FACT
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 16:48:44 »

I know yours isnt a serious point but thats bollocks, if anything his highest value will be in January because he's got the most time left on his contract (18 months?)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 18:11:22 »

I imagine he's presuming we'll get relegated if he goes and making numbers up regarding the cost of relegation Deev.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: