Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Random Pointless fact of the day  (Read 7143 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 15:40:12 »

Starting on the outskirts of ashton keynes the river ray covers aproximatley 14.3 miles. Its journey takes it through the outskirts of cricklade and north swindon, Finishing between bridgemead and westlea, swindon. The river starts at 275 ft above sea level, yet finishes 310 ft above the sea, making it one of the few rivers in the world to actually flow uphill

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 16:13:41 »

Quote from: "STFC dave"
Starting on the outskirts of ashton keynes the river ray covers aproximatley 14.3 miles. Its journey takes it through the outskirts of cricklade and north swindon, Finishing between bridgemead and westlea, swindon. The river starts at 275 ft above sea level, yet finishes 310 ft above the sea, making it one of the few rivers in the world to actually flow uphill

I'm liking your work Dave, but that is indeed bollocks with a big b

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 16:27:04 »

and it doesn't end  at westlea does it?i thought it met up with the thames eventually?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 16:43:14 »

Quote from: "arriba"
and it doesn't end  at westlea does it?i thought it met up with the thames eventually?

Indeed the the Ray does flow into the Thames as do all streams and rivers in its watershed.  I once did a walk specifically to locate the place where the Ray joins the Thames and a very fine quiet spot it is...couple of K east of Cricklade.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 16:57:56 »

i'm presuming that its a few miles before castle eaton where the thames flows through.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 17:53:33 »

i went on a map and assumed it started near ashton keynes, then had a sort of T-junction where it one way carried onto lechlade and the thames, the other towards swindon. Must admit i was abit puzzled why it suddenly stopped in the middle of westlea on the map, but my dad just told me it goes underground. Is this true reg?

It took me 45 minutes to plot all the points on the map, and even then i got it going the wrong way  :x

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:09:29 »

I admire your desire to find out about these interesting things...this is my take.  The Ray flows from springs where the the lower greensand meets the clay roughly at the base of Ladder Lane...it then expands and flows across the Front Garden roughly parallel with the Old Town cycle path, crossing Wooton Bassett Road by the Running Horse.....meandering round the edge of Mannington before heading for the back end of Hreod Burna playing field, roughly where it picks up the waters of the aforementioned stream and so expands noticeably where it flows around by Moulden Hill.

Now noticeably a river it meanders  on in a roughly northerly direction to meet the Thames.

The Ray shouldn't be confused with Cole, whic starts from a similar source is dammed to make Coate Water....then flows to Coleview ....out by Lotmead Farm, where it can be followed on the River Cole Path.....onto Coleshill and entering the Thames at St John's lock near Lechlade.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:17:32 »

It took me 45 minutes to plot all the points on the map, and even then i got it going the wrong way  :x

Now the Bus avatar is beginning to make sense.

Do you go to Swindon train station with a notepad, pen and a tick list of trains that you have seen?
Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:18:54 »

Quote from: "BANGKOK RED"

Now the Bus avatar is beginning to make sense.

Do you go to Swindon train station with a notepad, pen and a tick list of trains that you have seen?

Soapy Tit Wank
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:20:23 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

The Ray shouldn't be confused with Cole,

The Cole feeds Shaftesbury Lakes, my Nan lives 5 minutes from there and I remember well catching stickle backs in the Cole.

Do you remember that somebody used to keep goats around there Reg? He had about five and usually tied them about close to the coate roundabout.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:27:08 »

The Cole feeds Shaftesbury Lakes, my Nan lives 5 minutes from there and I remember well catching stickle backs in the Cole.

Do you remember that somebody used to keep goats around there Reg? He had about five and usually tied them about close to the coate roundabout.

Don't remember the goats....may have been in the years when I lived elsewhere, but I do remember as a kid when beyond Shaftesbury Avenue to the east was all fields.

Not so long ago I saw a kingfisher down Shaftesbury lakes.....kingfishers are ace.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:30:32 »

they get woodpeckers and herons down there too reg. Cool
and cunts with dogs laughing as the dogs chase the wildfowl. :evil:
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:32:17 »

Don't remember the goats....may have been in the years when I lived elsewhere, but I do remember as a kid when beyond Shaftesbury Avenue to the east was all fields.

Not so long ago I saw a kingfisher down Shaftesbury lakes.....kingfishers are ace.

Are the Swans back yet?

A year or to before I left blighty the swans had not returned from migration for a year or two.

I saw a pike (I'm assuming it was a pike) once take a cignet from Shaftesbury.

Big up on the Kingfisher, I saw one once on a school canal trip, it was yonks ago but I still remember him looking all regal and stuff.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:33:31 »

I walked from Rodbourne up the Old Town Cycle path down and around Coate Water, round the side of the Golf Course (Broom Manor I think?) through Old Town back down the Old Town Cycle Path along the canal and back to the Dolly Saturday Cool

It was great but couldnt help but feel a little sad that the Front Garden is being butchered :| I shall carry on to Wroughton from Coate next time.

/
W56196272
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 19:34:01 »

Quote from: "arriba"
they get woodpeckers and herons down there too reg. Cool
and cunts with dogs laughing as the dogs chase the wildfowl. :evil:

Big fan of woodpeckers....just seems such a pointless thing to do.

Agree about the chavs mind.....it was so much better  when still fields.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: