Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 312   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gigs  (Read 1079877 times)
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 07:44:03 »

More than likely there's no truth in it. Sounds like a good shout to me.. but i'd have no idea what would actually be involved in getting it sorted. I've not even been in there - is it big enough?
Where have you heard the rumour from then?

I would imagine Swindon is a long way down the list of places where AMG would like another "academy" venue.
Weasel

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 08:48:11 »

Where have you heard the rumour from then?

I would imagine Swindon is a long way down the list of places where AMG would like another "academy" venue.

The usual reliable rumour source, friend of a friend who knows someone who lives next door to someones whose dog used to be owned by someone who'd heard the Carling Academy people were buying the old Mecca bingo hall. Almost definitely just someone thinking it'd be a good idea, and hoping out loud...

Why, out of interest, would you imagine Swindon to be a long way down the list? What criteria would satisfy AMG to move up said list? I guess lack of student base would be a good reason... Plus we've got the Oasis....  Soapy Tit Wank
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 09:48:27 »

Sounds like a pretty decent line up, seen a few of them, but never heard of Patrick Watson, who's he?

He plays mainly piano and sings, with a band that consists of drums, bass and lead guitar. He uses some electronic device which I think records his voice and then he plays about with it. The guitarist also does some jiggery pokery like recording the noise of a balloon being deflated on his guitar and other such things and adding it into the mix. Certainly very interesting live.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 09:57:33 »

My list of planned gigs for the rest of the year

Next Wednesday - Goldfrapp and Devotchka in an open air abbey in Lux
Next Sunday - Mars Volta
August  - Maximo Park
September - Elbow in London somewhere
October - Infadels and Sigur Ros
November - Mercury Rev
December - Deus

The beauty of living in a small country is that it is fairly easy to get tickets (apart from Deus who are Belgian and so will be a scramble when on sale on Monday)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 11:35:15 »

Off to see Ben Folds on Sunday night in Brissle..

Hopefully the rumours about Mecca bingo in town becoming a Carling Academy will be true.

I've also heard that, not necessarily a Carling but certainly a 3K gig venue for 2 years before it is torn down to build cafes / restaurants etc.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 13:30:40 »

Well it would be good if they did build a proper 3k gig venue, there are definitely enough people here to justify one. I doubt AMG would be interested for the time being though, they would probably look at places like Leeds, Nottingham, Leicester, Southampton and even Reading before considering Swindon?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #411 on: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 14:48:12 »

Southampton I doubt as they have the Guildhall and one is opening in Leeds very soon (might already be open).

But generally I agree that other towns would be a better prospect than Swindon, for any investor. Unless they were a local business.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 11:59:25 »

I saw Jimmy Cliff at Rise Festival in Finsbury Park on Sunday, played classics such as The Harder They Come, Rivers of Babylon, Beautiful World Beautiful People....lovely in the sun!

Bit of fuss over Boris J changing the name of the event - he ditched "Rise Against Racism" in favour of "Rise".
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 12:06:02 »

Saw UB40 at Newbury races.

Embarrasingly I was pretty drunk and danced about abit

/
W56196272
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 14:39:17 »

Yeovil you are so sweet I want to find you a nice wife xxx
Danjackson10

« Reply #415 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 15:01:16 »

Anyone going to V festival next month?
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 22:41:36 »

Chas & Dave at the Wyvern were ace  Cheesy

Seriously!!

/
W56196272
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 09:30:00 »

The Raveonettes kick ass live - the most feedback since Jesus and Mary Chain.

The Fratellis are good if you can catch them at an indoor gig. They can't quite carry that to outdoor festivals for some reason.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:11:31 »

Not got anything planned before Rancid in November. will probably find something though

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:53:17 »

Kylie is good live...saw her at the O2..does that count  Cheesy Blow Kiss
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 312   Go Up
Print
Jump to: