Pages: 1 ... 313 314 315 [316] 317 318 319 320   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gigs  (Read 1160421 times)
Mexicano Rojo

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #4725 on: Monday, July 8, 2024, 09:38:36 »

Had a lovely old time in Bedford on Saturday. The weather was looking particularly ropey and I missed the football but the evening was cool and dry and we ended up winning on pennos, which was nice.

It was particularly good to see Inspiral Carpets who were one of the first bands I listened to when forming musical choices in the nineties. It was a little odd that the drummer and bassist were youngsters (Clint Boon's son was on bass) but the music was great. Saka equalised during 'this is how it feels' which is one of my favourite songs, so that felt quite fitting.

Johnny Marr was great, a mix of solo and Smiths stuff which went down a treat. He also got to do a bit of guitar with James on 'Laid' which was their encore piece.

James with the orchestra was brilliant. Very different vibe to them really. Sit Down was particularly melancholy. Overall a tremendous set in what was a good setting. For £35 a ticket, you can't get much better value for money these days.

Rather tragically the drummer from the inspirals died a few years ago, a really lovely bloke who also used to run music tours of manchester as a side line.

I rememeber seeing them loads back in the day and one time we all had a game of football pre gig at reading university with rather surreally John cravens son got involved in with whilst Mr.Newsround watched on
« Last Edit: Monday, July 8, 2024, 09:41:20 by mexico red » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4726 on: Monday, July 8, 2024, 10:01:56 »

Rather tragically the drummer from the inspirals died a few years ago, a really lovely bloke who also used to run music tours of manchester as a side line.

I rememeber seeing them loads back in the day and one time we all had a game of football pre gig at reading university with rather surreally John cravens son got involved in with whilst Mr.Newsround watched on

Yeah he was only 44 I believe. John Craven is a legend!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #4727 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2024, 06:52:34 »

Dr John Cooper Clarke in BoA last week. Excellent as was the support whose name escapes me.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4728 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 09:58:52 »

Stopped off in Manchester on way back from Edindbro as the plethora of American tourists up there would say.

Section 25 tonight.
Of interest to anyone with a liking for relatively obscure Factory label bands.

Looking from a Hilltop is a classic.
Check it out in the favourite song thread pop pickers.

My mind it ain't so open
That anything could crawl right in
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4729 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 10:14:17 »

Section 25 tonight.
Of interest to anyone with a liking for relatively obscure Factory label bands.

Didn't know they were still going tbh.
edit: Maybe I'm getting them mixed up with someone else.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 12, 2024, 10:17:34 by Batch » Logged
Peter Venkman
Is totally unexceptional

Perfection is not attainable

« Reply #4730 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 10:22:22 »

Managed to bag a couple of tickets to see the great Alison Moyet in Birmingham next year.

Off to see Gary Delaney for the 20th time in 2 weeks too.

Nice.

Well, we know where we're goin'
But we don't know where we've been
And we know what we're knowin'
But we can't say what we've seen
And we're not little children
And we know what we want
And the future is certain
Give us time to work it out
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4731 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 10:31:02 »

Off to Edinburgh festival again for a couple of days.  Ive got Nish Kumar, Rose Matafeo, Alfie Brown and Mark Thomas booked so far.

Also booked for next year Off Menu podcast at the palladium, Greg Davies and Inside Number 9.

None of these are gigs. 

Never knowingly overstated.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #4732 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 11:30:48 »

Spent yesterday evening at 2000trees, primarily to see Manchester Orchestra. Awesome as always despite some sound issues.

Taking my eldest (14) to see SOFT PLAY in October. They seem to be enjoying making and playing music again, their Glastonbury set was pretty good.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4733 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 11:41:49 »

Nice.  I did a few acoustic shows with the Manchester Orchestra last year which were pretty magical!

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #4734 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 11:54:48 »

Not a gig, but we visited Frameless in Marble Arch yesterday, an immersive art exhibition with video & music. Definitely a good day out
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #4735 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 11:55:03 »

Nice.  I did a few acoustic shows with the Manchester Orchestra last year which were pretty magical!

Union Chapel? Yeah, I saw them there too. Incredible show.

It's all your fault by the way, since you got me on the guestlist for their Anson Rooms gig many years ago I've been absolutely hooked on them.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4736 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 12:15:23 »

Nice to know Ive done some good in the world!

fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #4737 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 12:43:44 »

Last night was ZZ Top at Wembley Arena, supported by Those Damn Crows And Rival Sons.

Both support bands were good, both having followings present in good number.

ZZ Top, despite being only two thirds of the original lineup were as I expected.

Frank can still maintain a cracking beat (though he needed a physio back stretch an half time) and Elwood Francis has a nice bass sound. His 18 string bass for their opener Under Pressure has got to be seen to be believed.

The man himself, Billy Gibbons may be an old fucker (74) but he has still got it in spades.

A good night apart from £14.50 for one and a half pints of Madri Eek
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4738 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 13:01:41 »

Last night was ZZ Top at Wembley Arena, supported by Those Damn Crows And Rival Sons.

Both support bands were good, both having followings present in good number.

ZZ Top, despite being only two thirds of the original lineup were as I expected.

Frank can still maintain a cracking beat (though he needed a physio back stretch an half time) and Elwood Francis has a nice bass sound. His 18 string bass for their opener Under Pressure has got to be seen to be believed.

The man himself, Billy Gibbons may be an old fucker (74) but he has still got it in spades.

A good night apart from £14.50 for one and a half pints of Madri Eek
The old guys can still do it, that's for sure. Saw the Doobie Brothers and The Eagles a few weeks ago with a combined age of about 3,000 years old... Christ can they still play though...

Live gigs just aren't conducive to drinking for me... The prices mainly, also the queuing up, then needing to leave your seat again for a piss... I gave up a while ago....and yet you'll always see people who've managed to get themselves absolutely bladdered...
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4739 on: Friday, July 12, 2024, 16:22:37 »

Live gigs just aren't conducive to drinking for me... The prices mainly, also the queuing up, then needing to leave your seat again for a piss... I gave up a while ago....and yet you'll always see people who've managed to get themselves absolutely bladdered...

I would agree. A max of one beer or a half in the venue itself as the prices are prohibitive or maybe not for some given the constant stream of punters, heavily laden with pints, into a densely packed audience & then back the other way on the way to the bogs & when the gig is in progress.
It's a bugbear.

My mind it ain't so open
That anything could crawl right in
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 315 [316] 317 318 319 320   Go Up
Print
Jump to: