Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: does tonights game really matter  (Read 5006 times)

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 16:23:53 »

does anybody really give a shit about tonights game?its a poor competition that nobody gives a damn about until the semi's.we could sustain injurys that for our league campaign we could do without.its a poor second to the fa cup and lacks the fairytale's and magic of it ect.the competition seems to get worse year by year.
a win will be good as i always want us to win and i suppose its a chance for some fringe players to get a run out,plus a few more on the gate saturday but i just couldn't give a hoot in all honesty about the worthless cup.
what do others think?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 16:25:58 »

I think we need the money
I think we need the hype
I think we need games against teams like Brentford that we get publicity for if we win

Yes it is a pointless competition in many ways....but at the end of the day this club needs all the revenue and positive attention it can get!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 16:26:08 »

If we had a nice little run in it, it would be ace. I think the fans and Wise would both agree that the league is far more important.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 16:49:25 »

It is worthless in that we can't win it.  On the other hand the revenue and the hope of playing a "big" team later on make it worthwhile.

Of course if we get dumped out it is definitely worthless.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 16:59:17 »

There was me thinking the LC had provided some of my most exciting STFC moments down the years....I should have known it was worthless...I can now stay at home and watch the Champions League like all the other sheep.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 17:03:38 »

Success breeds confidence. A win tonight against a team from a league above would attract a bit of positive media coverage. We are long overdue a cup run. Chance of drawing a big club in the next round. Opportunity to give some fringe players a competitive run out and challenge more established first-teamers.

That said, our chances of winning the cup are the square root of zero, therefore is there any point in bothering? Definitely 3rd priority behind League and FA Cup.

Oh, wait a moment, didn't we win this competition once before?Huh? Definitely worthless  :?
kaufman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 17:16:23 »

i think we should go out and try and win it for the second time  Cheesy
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 17:17:55 »

Were going to get Chelsea in the cup at some point this year so it may be in this competion so id say yes its worth it.

/
W56196272
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 17:31:42 »

It is said that when Burton Albion played Man U in the cup last year (ok it was the FA cup) they made over 2 million quid from the two games, securing the clubs financial position for the next 5 years.

Now while 2 million wouldn't exactly secure Swindons future for any length of time it certainly wouldn't hurt. Cup runs provide income and in that way are very important indeed.
mr ian

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 18:05:33 »

no,no,no,no,yes
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 18:13:05 »

Quote from: "mr ian"
no,no,no,no,yes

Somebody has overdosed on the 'Vicar of Dibley' me thinks.
flammableBen

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 18:14:08 »

This game matters so little that I'll be dissapointed with anything other than a 2-0 defeat. Anything better and it just shows that Wise is clueless and should be sacked.
sonic youth

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:13:21 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
There was me thinking the LC had provided some of my most exciting STFC moments down the years....I should have known it was worthless...I can now stay at home and watch the Champions League like all the other sheep.

but it's not the same competition reg, did arsenal field their reserves in the semi's when we played them in 72?

probably got the year wrong though!

it's a competition which any progress is very welcome in, but a defeat isn't quite as galling. the 3-1 loss to wycombe last season wasn't particularly upsetting but the 4-1 loss to wycombe in the cup a few seasons ago was, in comparison, quite distressing.
red macca

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:16:28 »

the important bit for me was to see the fringe players show that they can be relied on.wise had a good mix tonight and as you could see a few of them played like they were proving a point.im not devastated and im sure the players know they played well
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:29:11 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

but it's not the same competition reg, did arsenal field their reserves in the semi's when we played them in 72?

probably got the year wrong though!

it's a competition which any progress is very welcome in, but a defeat isn't quite as galling. the 3-1 loss to wycombe last season wasn't particularly upsetting but the 4-1 loss to wycombe in the cup a few seasons ago was, in comparison, quite distressing.

We've never played Arsenal in the LC semi finals...just Wolves ,Bolton  and Burnley.
 Personally I found last seasons defeat to Wycombe far worse than the FA Cup...insofar as it confirmed we weren't up to L2 let alone L1 status.

At least the FA Cup game they were in our league....if heading for relegation.

Tonight is more annoying than anything. in  the way that us England and STFC fans know the outcome, before it happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: