Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: does tonights game really matter  (Read 5004 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:36:38 »

Reg, any chance of an early opinion on our season?  I've tried to remain cautious but the good start in the league and then to see half our reserves do so well tonight had given me a good healthy dose of optimism now.
sonic youth

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:43:46 »

the game i was thinking of was a q/f, not a semi. even so, did arsenal field a reserve side that night?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:46:51 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
Reg, any chance of an early opinion on our season?  I've tried to remain cautious but the good start in the league and then to see half our reserves do so well tonight had given me a good healthy dose of optimism now.

There are some good signs, but its way too early to judge.....as for tonight I think Brentford put out a similar mix and match sides.  I'd say after 20 games, we'll have a decent idea of the way the season's shaping.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:48:45 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
the game i was thinking of was a q/f, not a semi. even so, did arsenal field a reserve side that night?

No, they put out their full side.
sonic youth

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:51:00 »

would they do the same now?

no they wouldn't. they'd field reserves and kids. ergo the competition is of less worth because many clubs - including us - do not take it as seriously.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:58:45 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "RobertT"

There are some good signs, but its way too early to judge.....as for tonight I think Brentford put out a similar mix and match sides.  I'd say after 20 games, we'll have a decent idea of the way the season's shaping.

Brentfords side want mix and match in the same way as ours was thats the team they have been playing in the league.They put out the strongest team they could.

/
W56196272
STFC Village

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 00:01:13 »

So Matt Heywood really is their captain then?! Shocked
sonic youth

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 00:01:46 »

no, that right-back o'connor was captain but he went off at half-time injured.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 00:02:14 »

would they do the same now?

no they wouldn't. they'd field reserves and kids. ergo the competition is of less worth because many clubs - including us - do not take it as seriously.

The Arsenal side of kids though, would give the Arsenal side of 80 a run for their money.....they have the cream of European youth football at their disposal.   So they probably had 14 or 15 players in the 06 WC...the likes of Djourou, Walcott, Senderos,  Eboue......would all have relatively few 1st team appearances.

Its only the 4 clubs with more or less bolted on Champions League who can afford to use the LC as a testing ground for their talent...the likes of Spurs put out a 1st eleven in getting mullered at Blundell Park last season.
STFC Village

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 00:02:43 »

Vice captain then

Shocked
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 00:17:33 »

There was me thinking the LC had provided some of my most exciting STFC moments down the years....I should have known it was worthless...I can now stay at home and watch the Champions League like all the other sheep.

but it's not the same competition reg, did arsenal field their reserves in the semi's when we played them in 72?

Well, Wolves didn't when we beat them in 2001, nor did Leeds when we took them all the way a few years back. I'm with Reg - the League Cup is boss!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 03:22:36 »

Any game matters !

What would have happened to confidence if they'd won tonight ?

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 09:05:41 »

There was me thinking the LC had provided some of my most exciting STFC moments down the years....I should have known it was worthless...I can now stay at home and watch the Champions League like all the other sheep.

my comments were based on the competition as it is now.crowds are generally shit.(though ours was a decent crowd for the comp)and the teams are shuffled about by nearly all sides including ours.we played a team in a higher league and our fringe players were used.speaks volumes imo.
true, stfc have had a great history in the competition and some memorable matches but it has changed dramatically since those days and is getting worse year by year.
i just hope the efforts of last night dont have a negative effect and fatigue for saturday.
fatbury

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 09:11:03 »

I think the team will take a lot of heart out of their performance .. an extra game might have got in the way had we made it ..
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 09:25:55 »

im not really bothered about the league cup tbh. its gone way downhill in recent years and its become the new LDV in a way. teams wont risk fitness of their key players and so will play their reserves. crowds have lost interest and attendances have slipped (on most occasions) even the FA cup is heading the same way slowly but surely
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: