Pages: 1 ... 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1228821 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #4425 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 18:28:29 »

Given that the city of Bristol profitted heavily from the slave trade, I'd presume the protesters will now all want to leave it and live somewhere else?

You can't help the history of where you live. But there's no need to celebrate it.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Flashheart

« Reply #4426 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 18:31:08 »

It's a bit disingenious to claim people are protesting about the past when the statue was still stood there today.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4427 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 18:57:49 »

Given that the city of Bristol profitted heavily from the slave trade, I'd presume the protesters will now all want to leave it and live somewhere else?

Great logic

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4428 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 19:15:28 »

Is it also not a matter of education? A lot of people now are finding out or realising that the so called great leaders of time past were not necessarily as great as history has previously taught us.

Which was why I posted the survey that my friend has set up. How many of us were taught at school in depth at how great the "Empire" was yet things like slavery were touched upon very briefly? We weren't taught that we had achieved this "greatness" by excessive colonisation, rape and slavery. It was just seen as good for us and the cost to others was generally put by the wayside.

So when people say things like "thas disgustin' tha ris", well maybe had we all been educated in a curriculum that informed us more about the truth we wouldn't have statues of or celebrate lorded fucking gentry who maintained their status via ill gotten gains.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4429 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 19:17:37 »

Also mods...may want to split this from the "Coronavirus" thread as this has clearly defined itself down the route of Protest, UK History and Institutional Racism.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4430 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 20:06:00 »

Is it also not a matter of education? A lot of people now are finding out or realising that the so called great leaders of time past were not necessarily as great as history has previously taught us.

Which was why I posted the survey that my friend has set up. How many of us were taught at school in depth at how great the "Empire" was yet things like slavery were touched upon very briefly? We weren't taught that we had achieved this "greatness" by excessive colonisation, rape and slavery. It was just seen as good for us and the cost to others was generally put by the wayside.

So when people say things like "thas disgustin' tha ris", well maybe had we all been educated in a curriculum that informed us more about the truth we wouldn't have statues of or celebrate lorded fucking gentry who maintained their status via ill gotten gains.

We learnt about it at school, the triangulation between Africa, the Americas and Europe. It's history, we cannot change that or sweep it under the carpet. Bad history, yes. I would imagine that most people wouldn't know the history behind a statue until it's pointed out to them. I gather that the Colston statue was erected to thank him for his charitable contributions to the City and not as a marker of his involvement in the slave trade.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #4431 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 20:08:34 »

In school we were taught about the Northern Ireland divide, medicine through time (!) & the American West. Of all of that, the Northern Ireland & American West topics did really 'teach' you relevant issues . I think they really should be teaching topics that are relevant, which could genuinely resonate with students -  which is why it is odd that slavery is not taught. Much like teaching about the Nazis, you would hope that learning of the barbaric past might positively affect their views in the future and go - even a small way - to helping to eradicate this.
For example, one of my colleagues (41 years old) said he watched a documentary on some of the methods used by the slavers, and said he "was glad this country didn't get involved in that" Quite astonishing really

I come from a land down-under
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4432 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 20:20:13 »

I got the industrial revolution as my GCSE subject. It's probably why i hate the concept and reality  of globalisational trade, and the damage it does.
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #4433 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 20:31:56 »

In school we were taught about the Northern Ireland divide, medicine through time (!) & the American West. Of all of that, the Northern Ireland & American West topics did really 'teach' you relevant issues .
I think they really should be teaching topics that are relevant, which could genuinely resonate with students -  which is why it is odd that slavery is not taught. Much like teaching about the Nazis, you would hope that learning of the barbaric past might positively affect their views in the future and go - even a small way - to helping to eradicate this.
For example, one of my colleagues (41 years old) said he watched a documentary on some of the methods used by the slavers, and said he "was glad this country didn't get involved in that" Quite astonishing really

Seen a lot of comments on social media over the weekend by people saying they were never taught about slavery at school. For some this might well be true - I would probably say the same had I not found my old Y8 and Y9 History books a little while back.

At my school, the second half of Year 8 is devoted to this amalgous period covering the Industrial Revolution, the British Empire and Slavery. We teach them as separate topics, when they're not really - each is dependent on the other and they interleave. I'd say this is broadly similar to what most schools will do nowadays. The topics you describe would've been GCSE topics, so not the place to put slavery really as it can be opted out of. Same reason the Holocaust is ideally taught in Y9; a bit more mature to appreciate the gravity of it, but before students have totally switched off if they're not taking it as an option.

FWIW I have a lot of work to do on improving my teaching about slavery and the Empire in general. But you can be assured it's there.

ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #4434 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 20:35:52 »

We learnt about it at school, the triangulation between Africa, the Americas and Europe. It's history, we cannot change that or sweep it under the carpet. Bad history, yes. I would imagine that most people wouldn't know the history behind a statue until it's pointed out to them. I gather that the Colston statue was erected to thank him for his charitable contributions to the City and not as a marker of his involvement in the slave trade.

The Colston statue was erected in 1895, in the dying embers of the Empire as a sort of last hurrah for imperialism. It's indisputable that Colston made a lot of positive contributions to Bristol, but at the cost of the lives of innocent people. The intention may not have been overtly to celebrate his role in the slave trade, but that is exactly what it did.

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #4435 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 20:59:33 »

the police have clearly been told to not engage for fear of bad press and its turning into a mockery. if the protests are to happen- which they shouldn't due to the pandemic- then have a cut off time to empty the streets and lock down. there is a clear trait where they are majority peaceful and then turn violent in the evenings. it is over shadowing their message and dividing the country even more.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4436 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 21:08:07 »

Burning the Union Jack on the cenotaph just proves that a sizeable element don’t give a shit about BLM and just want an excuse to cause trouble.
Flashheart

« Reply #4437 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 21:09:28 »

It was one person with the rest around him telling him to get down.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4438 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 21:12:37 »

The ones shouting “Burn it” must be talking about something else then.

My point being the original message is getting lost when you see stuff like this
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4439 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 21:26:57 »

The ones shouting “Burn it” must be talking about something else then.

My point being the original message is getting lost when you see stuff like this

I think that must be right.

Nothing to see here
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: