Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Afc Rochdale v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 61660 times)
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:15:03 »

whoever recruited out forward line, and deems branco, Rodgers and boo up to scratch.

I have no idea if that's Williams or Power, you're right.

Think there was a gamble taken on Delfonso which hasn't paid off, he has a lot of potential but has never really performed at any club......... we have taken that gamble before and it worked, probably means he will be off to pastures new.

Norris, I think it;s down to confidence, Power isn't stupid to spend money for no reason so obviously saw something in him, just need to get to the bottom of why he isn't fulflilling what Power saw in him. I said from the start of the season, all 4 of our strikers are backs to goal, hold up forwards, we need an ajose who will play off them for the tap ins and be in the box.

I do know that Williams is unable to coach defensive duties. That needs to be fixed by Sherwood

That's true, and hopefully in January we get 1/2 experienced defenders in as soon as we go behind, the defenders give up, they don't win balls.. Against Charlton they all played their socks off, last 2 games they were terrible.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:19:01 »

I have to admit that I understand Williams has a good reputation as a coach but I have no idea what that is based on? Are we crediting him with polishing up some of the bigger sales we've done in the past few years, or were they recruited on the basis of being rough diamonds in the first place (probably by Power, possibly Sherwood)? Since our 4-0 at Wembley, we've not improved defensively one iota with any set of players or formations. Not saying I'd want him to go, as I think we need stability and continuity to offset changes elsewhere in the playing staff but not sure why he is so regarded.

I think the events of this week, have probably done for Luke's tolerance from the fans. If he was coaching the youth squad then maybe still a place at the club, but nothing higher. I don't think anyone would be too upset if he was sacked on Monday.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:21:31 »

Surely the policy of recruiting youngsters in the hope they can be polished and players that have shown something in the past but have faded (Thomas, Delfounedo, Murray) needs to be dumped.

If these are the only sort of players we can afford to recruit then we'-re fucked.

Williams' much vaunted ability as a coach seems misplaced - he is unable to fashion a workable system.

We've recruited players in an attempt to play a certain style. That style has failed us and a change to a more pragmatic approach with the advent of Sherwood appears to be futile with these players.

Just where do we go now?
Flashheart

« Reply #153 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:21:52 »

I listened to Rochdale comms today and they kept commenting on how our defenders were allowing the ball to bounce before attempting to clear it.

WTF is that all about? Are they maybe terrified of committing to the ball and missing it?
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:25:35 »

Surely the policy of recruiting youngsters in the hope they can be polished and players that have shown something in the past but have faded (Thomas, Delfounedo, Murray) needs to be dumped.

If these are the only sort of players we can afford to recruit then we'-re fucked.

Williams' much vaunted ability as a coach seems misplaced - he is unable to fashion a workable system.

We've recruited players in an attempt to play a certain style. That style has failed us and a change to a more pragmatic approach with the advent of Sherwood appears to be futile with these players.

Just where do we go now?

I don't think the quality of the players is the issue, it's the attitude....... We battered Rochdale, Oldham and Charlton when we went ahead......... but we get battered when we go behind..... You could have messi, Ronaldo and Tevez in your team and still play shit if the players just don't believe in themselves.....

Something has to be done but it's not an easy fix, "you have to be stronger"..... how do you do that? Our players seem to have a massive issue with confidence and you can't change that in 2 weeks.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:34:39 »

Lee Power is a 'hands on' owner so I'd point blame firmly towards him. Luke Williams never wanted this job, I don't think so anyway. The 5-year deal was probably more to be a part of the project than to be our glorious leader.

Realistically what could Lee do different? You bring in a manager, he then leaves within months due to illness....... do you bring in yet another manager and let him do his style, the players then have to learn to play to a new style yet again!

Or do you keep the coaches who worked alongside the manager, keep trying to play his style and keep the "rhythm" going....

Our results last season weren't bad, we got upto 8th, knocking on the door of the playoffs then injuries wiped us out and we dropped like a lead balloon..... Why we get so many injuries is another discussion but we aren't a bad team and could beat the majority of teams in this league but we have a major issue with attitudes of the players, they don't seem to want to try when the tough gets shit as most of them haven't been in the relegation shit before, majority are in their first / second season as pro's.... We need some steel in the defence to give the "kids" someone to lean on for advice and confidence when we are 1-0 down.

When we had PDC we were known for coming from behind and nicking 3 points but we had players like Douglas, Cutherbert in the squad......

I do blame Power for relying on too many youngsters but it also falls on the players as no one is stepping up to be that leader, they are all hiding behind Williams.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:35:02 »

Norris, I think it;s down to confidence, Power isn't stupid to spend money for no reason so obviously saw something in him, just need to get to the bottom of why he isn't fulflilling what Power saw in him.

Remember George Barker? I think we dropped a 6 figure sum on him too. I think he was worse.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:38:54 »

That was probably one of the worst performances I have witnessed for an awful long time.

Power needs to get a grip of this situation quick- the players he has recruited just ain't good enough. No back to back wins since March prove this.

The atmosphere in the away end today was poisonous, fans having a pop at players at the end.

This cannot go on. Power should be focusing on us and the mess HE has created rather than investing elsewhere
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:39:46 »

Remember George Barker? I think we dropped a 6 figure sum on him too. I think he was worse.

Didn't work out and was shipped out......... Norris doesn't come good and he will be out of the door I expect

At the end of the day, how many times will a player be scouted? 5/6 times? They can play blinders in them games and as soon as they come to you, they suffer a loss in confidence due to a new team, new manager etc and they don't score for 6 months........ Happens at every club but you have to give the player the chance to prove themselves....

Norris is a Billy payner, holds the ball up and needs someone to lay it off too, we are missing a goal poacher (ajose)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:41:14 »

Realistically what could Lee do different? You bring in a manager, he then leaves within months due to illness....... do you bring in yet another manager and let him do his style, the players then have to learn to play to a new style yet again!

Or do you keep the coaches who worked alongside the manager, keep trying to play his style and keep the "rhythm" going....

Our results last season weren't bad, we got upto 8th, knocking on the door of the playoffs then injuries wiped us out and we dropped like a lead balloon..... Why we get so many injuries is another discussion but we aren't a bad team and could beat the majority of teams in this league but we have a major issue with attitudes of the players, they don't seem to want to try when the tough gets shit as most of them haven't been in the relegation shit before, majority are in their first / second season as pro's.... We need some steel in the defence to give the "kids" someone to lean on for advice and confidence when we are 1-0 down.

When we had PDC we were known for coming from behind and nicking 3 points but we had players like Douglas, Cutherbert in the squad......

I do blame Power for relying on too many youngsters but it also falls on the players as no one is stepping up to be that leader, they are all hiding behind Williams.

Lot of factual mistakes in this post....which don't really help in backing up your opinion, that we could beat the majority of teams in this league.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:42:15 »

Lot of factual mistakes in this post....which don't really help in backing up your opinion, that we could beat the majority of teams in this league.

This.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:44:18 »

I agree Delf was a gamble. I don't believe he and Norris were our first choice targets. At least I would be amazed if they were. I think they gambled leaving everything late in the hope that they'd get that Palace lad and that he'd be good enough. Then they were stuck with what they thought was the best of what was left .

I don't agree out strikers are backs to goal/hold it up types either. Nota  'fox in the box' Ajose type either as you say for sure.  

We aren't feeding them with that many chances, but they've missed absolute sitters (mainly Norris). I can see him being maybe a 10-15 goal a season man in a good year, but ...
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:48:01 »

go on ........
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:49:51 »

go on ........

...well Douglas and Cuthbert had legged it before PDC managed a game...
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 19:54:51 »

...well Douglas and Cuthbert had legged it before PDC managed a game...

I will give you that one, for some reason I had it in my head that Di canio was here when we lost to Brentford in the playoffs

But you get my point, we had "steel" in the team, there has always been 1/2 experienced "hard men" who would carry the team when we were struggling.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: