Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 [121]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 148178 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1800 on: Today at 10:05:32 »

The views of the Barnet fans forum'
Going to be hard for him to turn down a big pay rise and a first ever football league job at a club with huge support and where, from one perspective, the only way is up (their finish last season was their lowest ever since the creation of Division 4 (Lge 2) in 1958). Hope he does though.

The pay off could be the stumbling block. TK, as we know, is a hard-headed business man who took the risk with DB and put him on a long-term contract. Swindon won’t be the only league club casting an eye over DB. Can Swindon afford the compensation? I bet there are other clubs which can, and TK will know that.

Would be a poor appointment for Swindon. Not a league quality manager - not yet, at least.
I’d like him to have one more season so he can properly finish what he started here, but money talks.

Don’t think DB is league ready yet, but has been great for us.

Swindon rumoured to subject to being taken over….big risk for him

Unfortunately I think Swindon are a big enough club to tempt him . Whether he does is a different matter

There is a lot wrong with Swindon in terms of how they are run, it’s a huge gamble, I hope either TK stands strong on compensation and/or DB thinks better of it and decides to say no as he did to us a few years back.

Don't think he'll go there. He's had far better offers that he's turned down previously.

Of course Swindon would be a big step up league and presumably money wise, bigger than the Wealdstone to Barnet move he turned down in any case.

Would definitely be sideways. He can definitely do better in that he can wait it out for somewhere much more stable if he is wishing to leave.

Maynard had played a similar style to Luke Williams for his whole time at Wealdstone. Brennan only transitioned into that sort of team this season so not much of a sample size for Notts to go off.

Does DB have the energy to try again with us next season after coming so close last season? He would of rejected other clubs previously believing we we're going to get promoted this season.

He'll also see Swindon similarly to how he saw us, a club on a downward spiral he can turn round, admittedly there is financial issues at Swindon but if those got sorted it would be a big club to manage with scope to go a lot higher than league 2

Looking at Swindon's recent history with managers, I feel it's safe to imagine that if he went there, he'd be sacked before the 2 remaining years on his Barnet would have been up.

Of course in football things can change by the second but DB to Swindon doesn’t sound like a ‘fit’

I think DB can do better at Swindon and I hope TK gives him the backing to make any move moot. He must do whatever is best for himself and family though.

ake away Barnet glasses and DB could be a fool for turning it down IF he was offered it.
DB has done an excellent job for us but football is a fickle business, We (well most of us) appreciate what he has done so far but IF we had bad start to the season we all know fans can turn.

Compensation definitely agreed. It’s up to Dean now. Whatever he decides, he deserves a go at that level. He’s taken a team on quite frankly, a crap budget, from 18th to 2nd in 2 years. He’s turned down several other clubs and if he feels now is the time then to go then that’s fine.

TK got lucky with DB, a very competent (if not exceptional) National League manager with a generally good eye for recruitment and a positive motto of togetherness which helped lift the club out of a hole.

But the messiah he is not. He is replaceable and I strongly suspect Swindon will be a step too far. It’s just TK’s abysmal track record of appointments that causes most concern.

Am reading clubs have agreed compensation and DB now speaking to Swindon directly to see if they can agree personal terms.
I don't know how this works exactly- can a club speak to a manager before agreeing compensation? I know they need *permission* from the current club, but not sure if compensation agreement is necessary.
And how likely is it that DB and Swindon agree terms? I guess this is the stage where DB has to weigh up his options. I don't doubt Swindon can probably offer him a higher salary but It's not totally clear cut whether DB would want to go- yes it's a step up but lots of financial issues there. He would be giving up a shot at promotion and a 2 year contract here for a difficult situation there.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1801 on: Today at 10:44:39 »

It says a lot when supporters are (rightly) wondering if a manager would be better off staying at Barnet than joining us.

How depressing.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1802 on: Today at 11:00:22 »

It's not depressing, it's normal. And the Barnet fans are mental if they think he's not better at Swindon.

Clubs searching for new managers are doing badly. Clubs losing managers are doing well. If you are swapping one for the other it's because you are climbing the league and joining a bigger club. Very simple.

As others who have taken us over, joining when we are well below our normal position is a no brainer
« Last Edit: Today at 11:09:04 by Riddick » Logged
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #1803 on: Today at 11:04:19 »

Another underwhelming appointment if true.  A non league manager with no experience managing in the football league at. Oh how far this club has fallen, we are literally preparing for non league status.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #1804 on: Today at 11:12:54 »

Weirdly I feel okay with it, the concept of a non league manager doing well making the step up. The issue will be if he brings some people with him or is just slotting into the current set up. If he’s just slipping into the current machine then it’s less promising, if he’s bringing a set of staff with him that can reset us then it’s more promising but will still likely be handicapped by the circumstances here
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1805 on: Today at 11:17:43 »

Another underwhelming appointment if true.  A non league manager with no experience managing in the football league at. Oh how far this club has fallen, we are literally preparing for non league status.
There are plenty of managers who have done well without ever having been a league manager.

Dave Challinor at Stockport anyone?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1806 on: Today at 11:22:28 »

I think we have to be realistic under the current owners with regards to how ambitious they are going to be. A week or so ago we were preparing for Gunning to be given the job full time, but since then, firstly Derek Adams was in talks and now it seems we're well under way trying to get Brennan.

My own personal thoughts are that Derek Adams wants too much, both staff wise and possibly budget wise. His style of football is also pragmatic and boring, although brings a L2 winning mentality from his last role at Morecambe.

Personally I quite like the fact we're looking at an up and coming younger, hungry manager who has adopted an attacking mindset at Barnet and very nearly taken them into the league. There is no guarantee that it will work, but for those who say adopting a non-league manager sets you up for non league status you think of Pete Wild at Barrow (granted he had a spell managing Oldham in the league) and how well Harrogate manager Simon Weaver has done since getting into the league.

Time will tell whether it will work, but I'm not against it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1807 on: Today at 11:25:05 »

There are plenty of managers who have done well without ever having been a league manager.

He spent 3 months or so with Hartlepool in league 2 before joining Stockport I think. But in essence, I agree with you.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1808 on: Today at 11:35:47 »

Alex Ferguson started at East Fife blah blah blah.
He went on to do ok…
Success can come from humble beginnings
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1809 on: Today at 11:38:21 »

It's not depressing, it's normal. And the Barnet fans are mental if they think he's not better at Swindon.
Under normal circumstances that would be true but is that really the case at the minute?

It doesn’t take much research to work out that he’s coming to a club that’s at war with its fans and that the people he would be employed by are shady and likely to tell him a pack of lies.

I don’t see why anyone other than someone desperate for a job would want to come here currently, we are know to be a basket case in football circles.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1810 on: Today at 12:12:05 »

Depends on what bullshit comes out of Clems mouth.

So, give no fucks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #1811 on: Today at 12:12:30 »

Glen Hoddle ? 

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #1812 on: Today at 12:28:56 »

I’d be fine with this appointment. Anything but Gunning. I’ve flip flopped on that.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 [121]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: