Pages: 1 ... 715 716 717 [718] 719 720 721 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2043280 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10755 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 09:13:21 »

Don't you ever watch Eurovision?
I'll repeat the question. Wholly agree that our position and standing in the the EU has absolutely nosedived over the last few years, entirely due to the our govt proving itself to be incompetent and untrustworthy to the extent that they are prepared to break international law. That will tend to downgrade a country's stock somewhat. That aside, what precisely is it about the "way we are being dealt with" that you object to? An actual example of such ill-treatment?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10756 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 09:37:47 »

I'm quite looking forward to driving about in my new Austin Maxi in 2021!

Or a Maclaren?
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #10757 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 09:43:50 »

Nice to see you taking an interest again. Now you're here, could you answer the question that so far no-one seems to be able or willing to answer. What are the tangible, concrete benefts of Brexit? i.e. not flag-waving rhetoric, not vague generalisations, but actual concrete "This facet of life will be better for the ordinary British citizen from Jan 1st 2021"

Presumably it will help to improve mental health in that the ordinary citizen will not need to fret about:-

- "Sovereignty" having been taken by the EU;
- People who we might not like the look of or who sound a bit funny invading the country in great swathes.

Nothing to see here
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10758 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 09:48:02 »

the Scottish?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10759 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 09:57:41 »

Or a Maclaren?

So a benefit for perhaps 1% of the population who can afford it, rather reinforces the idea that Brexit was just a way for the ultra wealthy to richer and fuck us plebs!

What I don't understand is that if no deal is going to be such a great thing why are the government continually trying to blame it on the EU/remainers if its such a brilliant thing why are they not celebrating and owning this great moment?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10760 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 10:33:14 »

Or a Maclaren?

Do you think I am made of money??

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10761 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 10:54:32 »

"Makes you want to jump over the top and shout 'ya boo, sucks to you Fritz”
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10762 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 11:00:11 »

I think our position and standing in the rest of the EU has been proven over the last few years, and the way we are being dealt with.
3rd time of asking
Wholly agree that our position and standing in the the EU has absolutely nosedived over the last few years, entirely due to the our govt proving itself to be incompetent and untrustworthy to the extent that they are prepared to break international law. That will tend to downgrade a country's stock somewhat. That aside, what precisely is it about the "way we are being dealt with" that you object to? An actual example of such ill-treatment?
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #10763 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 11:08:45 »

3rd time of asking
Wholly agree that our position and standing in the the EU has absolutely nosedived over the last few years, entirely due to the our govt proving itself to be incompetent and untrustworthy to the extent that they are prepared to break international law. That will tend to downgrade a country's stock somewhat. That aside, what precisely is it about the "way we are being dealt with" that you object to? An actual example of such ill-treatment?

Possibly the way we were allowed to opt out of bits 'we' did not find hugely palatable

Nothing to see here
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #10764 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 11:49:39 »

3rd time of asking

Must be struggling to find an example of the Daily Mail website
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10765 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 12:50:01 »

TBF I was being slightly unfair in picking on 4D's post in this way but it struck me as an interesting example of what I have seen a lot of: the unevidenced assertion that Britain has been treated badly by the EU during negotiations when it really seems to be more that the British govt has just been a bit shit at negotiating. Which is understandable as they don't actually know what they want. But they then have to explain this lack of progress on what they assured us all would be "the easiest trade deal in history" because "we hold all the cards" bollocks which the likes of outletred are still spouting, despite it being glaringly obvious now, even if it wasn't then, that we actually have a very weak hand. Which we are playing badly. So to explain this difficulty, they just get their tame newspapers and sockpuppet social media accounts to assert that "the EU is being difficult" or "Britain is being treated badly". Without any evidence at all, but it plays well to those who find this accords with their existing beliefs (which, tbf, we all do at times).

So I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask someone making such an assertion if they could cite anything to back it up (because there may be, I've not seen anything but I'm not immune to confirmation bias either) or if it was just a general feeling they'd picked up from their favourite newspaper/website/social media accounts.

Apologies to 4D for using his post as the basis of this experiment. Other Brexiteers please do feel free to pile in with your tales of European perfidy.

Likewise with the "genuine tangible benefits" question. They seem to be long on flag-waving vagueness, incredibly short on actual tangible benefits in the face of looming economic disaster across multiple sectors.
Here you are, I'll start you off with a freebie: come Jan 1st, Britain will be free to ban the live export of animals from the UK. Whether we actually will remains to be seen, but that certainly would be a positive.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55167473
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 12:55:33 by pauld » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10766 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 13:25:19 »

3rd time of asking

I'm not on here 24/7, some of us have got some work to do pre Brexit  Smiley
I never said there was ill treatment, just the way we seem to be brushed aside with our requirements. The EU were always going to what's best for the EU. I don't think there will be any winners in this whole saga.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10767 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 13:25:59 »

Another great post from you. You must write a book.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10768 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 13:27:23 »

I was thinking about the buggy  Smiley

You also have Vauxhall, Mini, Nissan, Land Rover, Toyota and others.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10769 on: Thursday, December 10, 2020, 13:29:45 »

Quote from: 4D
I was thinking about the buggy  Smiley

You also have Vauxhall, Mini, Nissan, Land Rover, Toyota and others.

for now...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-55220840
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 717 [718] 719 720 721 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: