Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 ... 868   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1280145 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3195 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 08:52:07 »

Don't know if people have been keeping tabs of the losses posted by League One clubs this accounts season but it's genuinely staggering. Bolton losing £5.7mn, Charlton losing £7mn. Know our fans are desperate to return to League One but the landscape has changed dramatically and don't think there's ever really chance of competing there now unless you have an owner with very very deep pockets, or can be an outlier/well ran club like Plymouth.

We're never going to be the best funded club in League One, but as you say, being well run would make us competitive. There have always been huge clubs in L1 - 2012/13 Sheffield United finished one point ahead of us, 2010/11 when we went down Southampton finished second to Brighton. 2009/10 when we got to Wembley, Southampton missed out on the playoffs, Norwich and Leeds went up.

We're well capable of being a medium sized fish in that pond.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3196 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 08:56:15 »

I’m pretty sure based on historic results Town are about 10th in the Third tier, and if the club was being run well you would like to think that is still achievable.

With funding as it is now across football I’m not sure we could compete at Championship level without a generous benefactor
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #3197 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:05:27 »

We appear to have won Community Club of the Season for League Two. The award cites "Swindon Town’s commitment to integrate and support refugees in the area set them apart from other Clubs in League Two, using football as a force for good to build connections and drive positive change." which sounds lovely but I can't really see what it's referring to - anyone happen to know what it is that the club/foundation have done here?

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/april/efl-community-awards-divisional-winners-revealed

This is all the work of the community foundation. Believe they are a separate arm to the club? Do an unreal job with all kinds of different groups in the town and do a lot internationally also. Great set up they have and only getting better with the developments at foundation park, club should look at them for tips on running a set up.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3198 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:13:37 »

Seeing a lot of the questions being asked again and rightly so but just a quick link to when they did answer alot of questions and went quite in depth regarding Austin and Hart

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1nAKEYrrkjRKL

Probably about 35 mins in i would say

Ta for that, its actually 39 mins in.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3199 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:25:31 »

We appear to have won Community Club of the Season for League Two. The award cites "Swindon Town’s commitment to integrate and support refugees in the area set them apart from other Clubs in League Two, using football as a force for good to build connections and drive positive change." which sounds lovely but I can't really see what it's referring to - anyone happen to know what it is that the club/foundation have done here?

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/april/efl-community-awards-divisional-winners-revealed
Probably the good news rumoured to be coming this week I would think.

EDIT: beaten to it by BO.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3200 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:27:57 »

I’m pretty sure based on historic results Town are about 10th in the Third tier, and if the club was being run well you would like to think that is still achievable.

With funding as it is now across football I’m not sure we could compete at Championship level without a generous benefactor
Absolutely agree on both counts.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #3201 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:33:43 »

Good post. Anybody suggesting we cant compete and get in to L1 what are you paying to watch? For us make up the numbers in Div4? Fuck that

We find ourselves in a League below Morecombe, Fleetwood, Burton, Cambridge, FGR, Cheltenham etc etc. Two leagues below Luton, Millwall and Rotherham.

We're Swindon Town FFS, demand more. Agree the best we can hope for is Rotherham/Peterborough realistically, flirt with Champ but unable to seriously compete. Which is fair enough and i'd bite your hand off for.  Accepting D4 mediocracy stinks for me. 

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #3202 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:46:44 »

Good post. Anybody suggesting we cant compete and get in to L1 what are you paying to watch? For us make up the numbers in Div4? Fuck that

We find ourselves in a League below Morecombe, Fleetwood, Burton, Cambridge, FGR, Cheltenham etc etc. Two leagues below Luton, Millwall and Rotherham.

We're Swindon Town FFS, demand more. Agree the best we can hope for is Rotherham/Peterborough realistically, flirt with Champ but unable to seriously compete. Which is fair enough and i'd bite your hand off for.  Accepting D4 mediocracy stinks for me. 

This.

Out of interest, what is the most consecutive seasons we have spent in the 4th tier?

I'd guess three and, if so, failure next season would be a historical low.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3203 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:54:21 »

We're Swindon Town FFS, demand more. Agree the best we can hope for is Rotherham/Peterborough realistically, flirt with Champ but unable to seriously compete. Which is fair enough and i'd bite your hand off for.  Accepting D4 mediocracy stinks for me.  

Don't think I've seen anyone suggest that but totally agree nonetheless. I would love to see us one day get back into the Championship and be able to stay there and be competitive as a small fish in a big pond. That's the dream anyway (I gave up on any thoughts of getting back to the Prem a long, long time ago)...getting the hell out of L2 would certainly be a good start though as we are way better than that...looks like a pretty arrogant statement I know but that's how I feel...
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #3204 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:55:49 »

Wycombe have been a competitive L1 side and achieved promotion while being broadly sustainable

Not saying it’s not difficult. But it’s possible

Things get better but they never get good
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3205 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 09:57:41 »

And it's something we should be able to achieve. Regularly getting 9,000+ crowds when you're utterly crap is a pretty damned solid base to start from.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #3206 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 10:06:10 »

Wycombe have been a competitive L1 side and achieved promotion while being broadly sustainable

Not saying it’s not difficult. But it’s possible
Wycombe's latest accounts showed them making a £2.5mn loss last season.

It's definitely possible we can go back to our historic position, but it may require someone with deeper pockets.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 10:11:55 by ThreeDrawsMentality » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3207 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 10:10:09 »

@RedRag

Escaped at the 4th attempt in our first stint in the basement in the 80's.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3208 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 11:12:10 »

Apart from Orient, we are the only team in L2 that hasn’t had the double done over us.

Yet.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #3209 on: Thursday, April 13, 2023, 11:22:45 »

Bradford and Stevenage will soon sort that out even if Barrow don't!

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 ... 868   Go Up
Print
Jump to: