Pages: 1 ... 435 436 437 [438] 439 440 441 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1226124 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #6555 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 09:42:56 »

This is the most mental thing about the UK response, we had a vote 4 years back and possibly for many the key element of which was to take back control of our borders and the people voted in favour of it.

In the last 11 months we have had a situation whereby we could have achieved a great deal if we had closed the borders much as with New Zealand, yet our government (who bang on about taking back control) have done nothing, Christ even the libtard remainers like myself would have nodded along with it, but nothing.

Apples with pears. New zealand is 4 hours flight from the nearest land mass, with only 3 real points of entry. We're slap bang in the middle of everything with 100's of ways in. Not comparable.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6556 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 09:45:38 »

If borders were comprehensively closed in March then I dare say Farage would have kicked and screamed because he wasn't given special dispensation to travel to the USA to see Trump on the Campaign Trail and Laurence Fox screaming for freedom and telling people to 'live your life guys, I'm crossing the Channel in a rubber dinghy to go on holiday abroad.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6557 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 09:54:09 »

Apples with pears. New zealand is 4 hours flight from the nearest land mass, with only 3 real points of entry. We're slap bang in the middle of everything with 100's of ways in. Not comparable.

Possibly so, but the fact that no attempt at all was made to do anything seems just perverse, even when the quarantine rules were bought in it was clear that they were not remotely being applied with countless stories of people flying in expecting to at the very least complete some sort of paperwork and instead just being waved through.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6558 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:18:42 »

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1339107028774563840?s=20

The government seems to be urging us not to do what they passed an actual law to let us do?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6559 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:29:14 »

Possibly so, but the fact that no attempt at all was made to do anything seems just perverse, even when the quarantine rules were bought in it was clear that they were not remotely being applied with countless stories of people flying in expecting to at the very least complete some sort of paperwork and instead just being waved through.

Looking back now in hindsight, rather than the odd country locking down their borders there should have some broad international arrangements to shut all boarders and just keep people where they are. Certainly could have been done within the EU.

Far easier said than done though, would have also crippled the airline industry even more so than it did
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6560 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:47:27 »

The government seems to be urging us not to do what they passed an actual law to let us do?
"We've fucked up, but we want to be able to blame you lot when there's another lockdown in January"
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6561 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 10:49:38 »

Looking back now in hindsight, rather than the odd country locking down their borders there should have some broad international arrangements to shut all boarders and just keep people where they are. Certainly could have been done within the EU.

Far easier said than done though, would have also crippled the airline industry even more so than it did
Possibly not. In the short term, yes, but a total cessation of all travel for (say) 5 weeks might have done less harm than the constant stop/start and trickle of travellers over a period of 9 months and still ongoing. That doesn't mean it would have been easy to organise as you say, but from an economic standpoint if it had been effective probably would have been less harmful
Panda Paws

« Reply #6562 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 11:10:07 »

That in itself isn't abnormal. Smoking isn't illegal but its advised you don't do it. Same as being fat, basejumping etc etc. Advising people and making them aware of the risks without criminalising it is fine by me, and it will impact the plans of some people (like us, for example).
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #6563 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:00:38 »

Getting the excuses ready and passing the buck if it goes crazy after Christmas. Must be part of their "robust" response
There is a smugness about Jenrick which makes me want to throttle him everytime I see him

I come from a land down-under
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6564 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:12:29 »

That in itself isn't abnormal. Smoking isn't illegal but its advised you don't do it. Same as being fat, basejumping etc etc. Advising people and making them aware of the risks without criminalising it is fine by me, and it will impact the plans of some people (like us, for example).

I think if they'd started out from here and explained it properly, then yes, minded to agree. Certainly not comfortable with criminalising people for wanting to see their families. But it's the constant whiplash U-turns that undermine the credibility of any guidelines that are the problem to my mind
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6565 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 12:13:03 »

Getting the excuses ready and passing the buck if it goes crazy after Christmas. Must be part of their "robust" response
There is a smugness about Jenrick which makes me want to throttle him everytime I see him
In that case can I strongly recommend that you don't ever watch or listen to Michael Gove?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6566 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 14:00:10 »

Same, I don't see a problem with it. I would be going to see my parents regardless of the rules so if that made me a criminal then so be it, and I would imagine hundreds of thousands will be in the same boat and will make their own risk weighted decisions.

Would have been a complete waste of police time and resources if they had to spend Christmas day knocking on peoples doors handing out fines as that is what would have happened if it wasn't allowed and any remaining sense of obedience and following of the rules would be lost for many.

Also I was rapidly getting fed up of the one dimensional Covid rhetoric from all the experts and thankfully mental health has been discussed and factored into this decision. Christmas and the run up is the worst time of year for mental health, having worked in rail I've seen the stretch of railway between Reading and London Paddington turn into suicide alley at this time of the year. Banning people from seeing their families over this period could have been catastrophic for mental health and suicide numbers. Covid isn't the only game in town and I think the right decision has been made here, advice people against it where possible but let them make that decision!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6567 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 15:14:15 »

Would have been a complete waste of police time and resources if they had to spend Christmas day knocking on peoples doors handing out fines as that is what would have happened if it wasn't allowed and any remaining sense of obedience and following of the rules would be lost for many.
No way that would have happened. Any more than during the last "lockdown" the police were going door to door checking on whether people had friends over etc. They broke up the large parties, but the idea that the coppers would have turned up if you had one Auntie Glenys over your household limit is nonsense. The police always have discretion as to how they implement any legislation.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6568 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 15:26:58 »

No way that would have happened. Any more than during the last "lockdown" the police were going door to door checking on whether people had friends over etc. They broke up the large parties, but the idea that the coppers would have turned up if you had one Auntie Glenys over your household limit is nonsense. The police always have discretion as to how they implement any legislation.
Well then if that would have been the case the government have made the right decision to relax the rules then, if they weren't going to enforce them what would be the point in having them?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6569 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 15:49:25 »

Well then if that would have been the case the government have made the right decision to relax the rules then, if they weren't going to enforce them what would be the point in having them?
Erm, they haven't relaxed the rules. The law has remained the same. The advice has tightened. They decided against tightening the law and tightened the guidelines/advice instead.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 437 [438] 439 440 441 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: