Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hart and McP gone - Bodin in charge til end of season...  (Read 40352 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 16:55:17 »

I agree with Reg.  A few other examples closer to home were Wise (we maintained momentum in 2006/07 after he & Poyet cleared off) and Hoddle (who was never going to stay with us, but gave us top flight football before leaving).  If the likes of Di Matteo are out there and looking to work, it would be daft to not at least enquire about his availability.  Nothing to lose.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 17:01:56 »

Vic has tweeted saying this is crap and he didn't say anything about RDM.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 17:03:56 »

Apparently it was Vic Morgan that said it but it's highly likely that it was bullshit.

Vics gone mental on twitter about it
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 17:04:51 »

Vic has tweeted saying this is crap and he didn't say anything about RDM.

Did he say anything about REM.   Thought it a bit unlikely that Di Matteo would apply, you'd have thought with his semi decent record, he'd pick up something like Bristol City.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 17:13:26 »

Vics gone mental on twitter about it

Yeah just seen. Ooops. Did say it was probably bullshit though to be fair.
Spencer_White

« Reply #200 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 17:27:24 »

I've been having a think about this criterion of not wanting someone who'll bugger off.  I can see the thinking, which is why you go for someone like Wilson. The reciprocal being that you give the manager time when the going gets tough.

Now think it would be better to get someone in who'll do a decent job so others up the food chain will want him....tends to leave you better off.

Look at Bormuff....Howe did well, fucks off and they've managed to maintain things, this despite like us having lost two of their key strikers.

Certainly we're a lot worse of now, due to the loyalty factor...

Getting really succesful managers to stay with lower league clubs is impossible. So do we want success or not?

This will offend a few people, but Fitton was out of his depth at Swindon, and his strategies were often pie in the sky.

At Hungerford he used to come in the dressing room at half time and give a team talk. The manager would shut the door after he had left and tell the players to 'forget that load of bollocks youve just heard'.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 17:29:39 by Spencer_White » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #201 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 17:49:03 »

Fitton had good ideas with buying unproven players and blooding in youth to sell on for profit, getting a manager in who won't kick off over club policy, putting the contract situation in control of the club and not with the players. The problem is it is too idealistic and football is far from ideal. The club would do well to move away from the extremes. We started putting all our eggs in one basket, whereas the play off season we seemed to have the right mix of everything.

With appointing a manager the board would do well to get someone who will take the board's ideas on but will ultimately do their own thing. I understand investment in players needs to be considered carefully, just give the manager specific criteria in line with the strategic plan of the club and make the manager do a business case based on why a certain player would achieve the strategic goals. You almost need a non-exec on the board to argue sounds like a good investment, if a bit of a risk, but does it align with our aims of Championship football?. You might end up keeping Gordon Greer and not buying Aiden Flint and it may not be where Fitton wants to spend the money but it's what will make the club more successful on and off the pitch.
Spencer_White

« Reply #202 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 18:13:43 »

He did manage to sell a lot of players on for a great profit.

Cox, Henshall, Greer, Morrison, Austin. In 2 years thats as good a spell of transfer fees received as I can ever remmember at Swindon.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #203 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 20:10:30 »

Yep the model works, just needs compromise sometimes
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #204 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 22:17:50 »

Martin Ling anyone?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 22:22:20 »

Martin Ling anyone?

Really? Now he did a good job with Orient and i wanted him here back then but he hasn't really done much since.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 07:00:22 »

Struggled at Cambridge

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 07:26:29 »

i'd like lingy here again

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #208 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 08:17:47 »

Struggled at Cambridge
Hardly struggled.Fell out with the chairman didn't he
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 10:29:37 »

Considering the year before they were in the playoff's he got them to mid table. I know a lot of managers have fallen out with the chairman though.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: