Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My reaction  (Read 3150 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 16:59:29 »

Sorry to create another new thread but I haven't read all the others yet, need a bit of time to do that!

In all honesty, I'm pleased that King has gone. I felt he has become stale and ineffective, people have become indifferent to him and those that haven't want him out. There are a fairly large number of people who supported him through thick and thin and up until this season, I was one of them - I've never called for King's head once in the 5 years he's been here until this season.

During his reign there has been good times and bad, he's stabilised the club and arguably stopped us going down the shitter entirely. However, he's also managed to alienate a number of loyal fans - who still attend the games - and pissed off an equal amount. Furthermore, we have gone on a poor run of form every season he's been here, he's never settled on tactics, team selections and has constantly selected players who are now struggling to get into teams in the division below.

Overall, he's done an average job and he's worked under tremendously difficult circumstances. I'd wish him luck in the future but I honestly can't see him getting another managerial position at any level.

I feel this is a step forward for the club and it's time to build from scratch again, Iffy has presumably been appointed caretaker manager in the meantime and whilst he lacks managerial experience and nobody can predict how he'll get on, I will back him 100% as I'm sure everybody else will.

People calling for us to appoint Lou Macari are frankly insane. There is simply no point living in the past, we need to move forward and bringing back a manager who was successful with us nearly 20 years ago simply wouldn't be a step forward. I simply cannot see Macari getting us out of the relegation battle that we currently find ourselves caught up in.

Likewise, the chances of us appointing somebody like Wilkins or Wise are slim - the club simply couldn't afford them. As much as I'd like to see either of them (or both) at the club, there's very little chance we'd manage to attract them to Swindon Town.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing Iffy's first game in charge tomorrow and will be intrigued to see what sort of team and formation he picks. Beyond that, I'm excited about who we might appoint but I am also cautious. The speculation should be fun, if not fucking irritating at times!
lebowski

« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 17:12:00 »

good post.

with king as manager we were going to get relegated.

under iffy we've got a chance for the fans to unite and with a new approach to the team hopefully the players (and the team) will start to realise their potential. if the worst happens and we go down, then we will go down together.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 17:13:55 »

If Iffy gets the job, will Kings former wages go towards new players?
lebowski

« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 17:16:38 »

doubt it! i imagine the settlement will be for King to receive his wages weekly up until the end of the contract...
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 19:09:29 »

Good post Sonic.

At first i was a bit miffed as to why we have appointed Iffy but hearing him on Points West and some of the comments on here he deserves his chance and like everyone (i hope) will back him 110%.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night now and can't wait to welcome Iffy onto the pitch and sing his name all night.

Come on you Redzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Piemonte

« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 19:13:38 »

I'm posting this again, one of the few post I'm proud to have written. I totally agree with SY.

King had to go, his position had been increasingly untenneable.

I've generally supported him during his time here, and thought that he'd done a reasonable job given the limited and diminishing resources he was given to work with.

However, over recent weeks my gut feeling has changed - I felt like he was coming to the end of the line. OK, we've played reasonable football in the last couple of games, I dont think we were that bad v Bradfrod tbh but we still lost.

We underachieved last season with the squad we had, we all know which players were responsible for that. utimatley its up to him to get those players going. The same follows this season - decent players with no clear game plan, big names underperforming.

Either Thorpe. Cureton & Whalley - who've all had good and sucessfull careers at a higher level have totally forgetten what made them good in the first place or they were not being coached or motivated properly. The same could be said for the likes of Igoe, Howard, Evans etc last season. Some trends during his era have always contuinued ie a shit defence. our back 4 on saturday are individually decent players, but did not play as a unit at all. This is kings fault - no-one elses.

In many ways hes not helped himself by just being himself. Even though I wasnt a memeber of the KOB I'd find myself shouting at the radio about some of his post match comments. when you've just lost 3-0 at home to the likes of Colchester for example, the last thing you want to hear is your manager contridicting himself over and over again before going off at the most random tangent you have ever heard. You'd like to hear someone who sounds like they had a clue what went wrong.

The King era RIP - I dont hate you and you gave us some good memories. However your time had come to go. Lets hope this unites the fans.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 19:26:39 »

I dont detect any feeling of unity so far.

While we are shit there will always be in fighting ,moaning and bitching.

I hope Iffy can change that but expect no change.

/
W56196272
Spencer_White

« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 19:53:46 »

All I can say is that even McMahon didnt have this much adverse affect on the fans. With McMahon it all went sour very quickly. With King some people have always despised his management and his manner. This was not a normal situation. King has produced the most unbelievable, imbecilic, idiotic comments down the years and for some people its been too much to take.

I dont blame them. Its like some people on here cant even remmember what its like to be united because weve had this bitter cloud for so long. I had enough of King about 6 months ago to be honest and Ive had enough infighting at Swindon for a lifetime. The atmosphere at the club under Evans and Quinn was so much better. And I mean SOOOOOO much better.

Just hope things can get better and these players will start playing for the club, the fans and themselves because at the moment some of the performances are pretty pathetic. Fuck off Heath and Collins and get some team spirit.

Starting tommorow night. FIGHT, FIGHT WHEREVER YOU MAY BE!
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 19:57:06 »

Quote from: "lebowski"
doubt it! i imagine the settlement will be for King to receive his wages weekly up until the end of the contract...

I reckon that will be the case as well, they can't afford to pay him off. That's one of the reasons why they appointed Iffy as he's already on the wage bill so it's not costing us any more.
Spud

« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 19:57:15 »

Ive been impressed with Heath though. :-))(
Spencer_White

« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 19:59:06 »

Nah, hes slow and lazy. Only had 10 minutes saturday and couldnt even be arsed then. Rather have Nicolau out wide anyday.
Spud

« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 20:06:20 »

Quote from: "Spencer_White"
Nah, hes slow and lazy. Only had 10 minutes saturday and couldnt even be arsed then. Rather have Nicolau out wide anyday.

Now that i agree with.
McLovin

« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 20:28:18 »

under King we may have gone down.  i seriously think thats a given now. Sad
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 20:44:14 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"

dave, you've replaced DV85 as the pessimist! he's upbeat bout this whole thing!!!

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 26, 2005, 20:50:23 »

Quote from: "Leggett"
Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"

dave, you've replaced DV85 as the pessimist! he's upbeat bout this whole thing!!!

singing i i Iffy Iffy i
singing i i Iffy Iffy I
singing i i Iffy
i i Iffy
i i Iffy Iffy i

Beers
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: