Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Energy company switch  (Read 20613 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 16:32:04 »

I can't see they can do anything less than freeze the price cap as it is now. The rise to £3.5k in October is frightening, predictions from a reliable analyst say the cap could increase to £5.4k in January 2023 and then £6.6k in April 2023. Just totally unaffordable for most people come October, let alone the future predicted figures.

Which will essentially put most of the Billing companies out of business leaving a mess to clean-up in terms of mass job losses without fixing the underlying problem.

You don't fix this without attacking the Wholesale end, and I don't know enough about that market to provide an opinion, but think it's so globalised that there is little they can really do.  Even having a bash at the profits is tinkering at the edges (but would feel good I suppose).
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 16:39:33 »

Yes it's global but France have done things differently

https://theconversation.com/energy-crisis-why-french-households-are-largely-protected-from-soaring-costs-while-british-families-struggle-188417

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 16:42:21 »

They pay, just through taxation.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 17:18:32 »

Nothing is free but that could be the difference between keeping the economy afloat or dropping into recession with unknown consequences.

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 19:54:50 »

We’re also paying for almost 3 decades of both Conservative and Labour governments bottling the big decisions when it came to the U.K. energy mix.

Sizewell B should have hailed a new generation of nuclear power stations but instead successive governments were more concerned about potential negative PR and NIMBY’s.  We’re now in a position where the Magnox fleet are gone, the AGR’s are coming offline and nothing other than Gas is able to replace their base load capacity making us more susceptible to gas prices. We’re finally building HPC but that’s be 2030 before it realistically comes online and the SMR’s will make a massive difference but have to jump the regulatory hoops first despite being proven in Subs and aircraft carriers.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 20:11:46 »

I can't see they can do anything less than freeze the price cap as it is now. The rise to £3.5k in October is frightening, predictions from a reliable analyst say the cap could increase to £5.4k in January 2023 and then £6.6k in April 2023. Just totally unaffordable for most people come October, let alone the future predicted figures.

I'll buy a fucking tin bath and a wood burner by then.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 20:15:43 »

I'll buy a fucking tin bath and a wood burner by then.

You wait the water companies will be the next to screw us over!

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 21:25:45 »

You wait the water companies will be the next to screw us over!

Bit late Jim, I think they already are.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Friday, August 26, 2022, 21:46:56 »

Bit late Jim, I think they already are.

I've not seen any projections yet unless they've passed me by. 

So, give no fucks
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Saturday, August 27, 2022, 06:44:08 »

Boy am I happy to be on oil at the present moment. The rest of the time it's a burden but the price of heating oil has stayed pretty okay over the summer, we filled up for the winter back end of July, but we've barely used any since we moved in in Feb because I'm a stingy fuck and it only goes on when absolutely required. I don't want that to come off as a gloat, as I really feel for everyone, I've seen the electricity bill go up and I can only imagine what it must be like to see both of the fuckers shoot up with jo end in sight. Yet again everyone gets fucked over apart from the people who can afford it.

British Gas have just started chasing me for a payment from over a year ago when they took over my old energy supplier who went bust. I was in credit with them when they went bust so fuck knows why BG think I owe them money, and my arse am I paying them anything. Shambles.

We've pissed away any chance we had of being energy secure in this country by constantly avoiding safe and clean nuclear power. This ain't the days of Chernobyl and windscale, and we don't live in an earthquake zone or risk getting invaded by Russia. It's not perfect but it's by far the best option overall and means we have an independent supply of reliable energy secured that can be easily ramped up or down depending on need.

That's even ignoring the fact we were a world leader in wave and tidal energy until about 2006. And we are an island. People complain about solar or wind as it's 'too unreliable' (it's not) or 'its an eyesore' (personal opinion) or 'it takes up valuable farmland' (legit but you have to ask why is the farmer planting solar panels and not crops, because they've been given no incentive to do so and make barely any money by a system and repetitive governments that apparently want all our food to come from overseas out of our control so they can make an extra 10p profit on a pint of milk), and guess what, wave generators completely bypass all those issues. Tidal has its own set of problems as you can disrupt river flow and ecosystems in what are rapidly becoming fringe habitats, but why the fuck do we export nearly all the wave generators we produce?

You can't fix it with one solution. Everything has its merits and its downsides and is just a sticking plaster. But if you stick enough of them together you can make a bandage to stop the fucking haemorrhage of money currently leaving the economy directly into the pockets of executives and politicians.

I hope we have a warm winter because Christmas is going to be fucking grim for people otherwise. I didn't live through the '70s, but I imagine this is what it was like, just unending shit being poured on the majority by the minority as the country slowly shuts down.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Saturday, August 27, 2022, 07:18:27 »

Can you be billed for your energy directly and not through direct debit? Noticed there are some horror stories of people’s DDs being hoiked up indiscriminately and then amassing a large credit balance which only benefits the energy companies.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Saturday, August 27, 2022, 07:24:22 »

I believe you can still get energy bills sent directly if that's your preference. We do exactly that with our water bill and although we have two bills sent out yearly you have the choice of taking a meter reading anytime and they will bill you straight away.

So, give no fucks
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, August 27, 2022, 10:28:22 »

Depressing that this was always coming and yet the two candidates for PM have no energy strategy, except saying they won't do the things we need (solar farms, on shore wind farms, fracking). Imbeciles.

Price cap is due to be £6k in December 2023 so it's not going away in the next 2 years. Assume government solution will be the same mechanism as the one they've already outlined - i.e. money off bills (as opposed to freezing the cap) and they will need to pull their finger out fast - Truss' current plan is on cloud cuckoo land.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Saturday, August 27, 2022, 10:59:41 »

Those two candidates should be fully briefed and have plans in place for when one of them takes over, so things can happen immediately. But alas no, they dont. Fucking idiots.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, August 27, 2022, 11:19:41 »

Hoping for a mild winter so that this doesn't lead to entirely avoidable & unnecessary deaths.

The stable door was closed in the late 90's as far as nuclear energy goes.
Needs to be reopened asap for the longer view re energy security & in a manner that doesn't mean reliance on China in particular & preferably on any other foreign concerns.
If that means nationalisation then so be it.
It's not a concept to be feared or shunned.
Goes without saying that development of renewable sources needs to be ongoing in the meantime.

The cap is a maximum, does it really need to be hit every time it goes up?
This is where a word from govt might be beneficial?
A price cap already interferes with a free market does it not.

Hoping also that this doesn't lead to a populist call for reducing support for Ukraine.
As it stands Russia is the problem & most definitely not part of the solution.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: