Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Injuries  (Read 13415 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 12:40:32 »

Given we've not heard from the physio himself that's very harsh. We know Wellens liked to bullshit about injuries and player availability as a way of throwing the opposition out, so we don't know that what we are being told is what the physio is telling the manager. It may also be of course that players are being brought back before they're ready against the physio's advice. Lot of assumptions in there before you throw the physio under the bus
Let be honest here though, the last couple of seasons we've had way beyond what can be considered a normal amount of injuries and comebacks seem to regularly get delayed or players suffer relapses. I don't think it's outside the realms of fairness to question the medical staff on this basis, especially with the amount of injuries we've suffered in warm ups as well.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 12:51:04 »

Shall we have a pop at the ball-boys or the stewards whilst we're at it?
REDBUCK

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 12:56:08 »

So for clarification are you excluding the 'injury prone' players or does the physio get the blame for not looking after them well enough.

If so does that let Wellens off the hook a little.

Bit hard to keep up with this blame game.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 13:00:28 »

So for clarification are you excluding the 'injury prone' players or does the physio get the blame for not looking after them well enough.

If so does that let Wellens off the hook a little.

Bit hard to keep up with this blame game.

I'm questioning them because our injury levels aren't normal. Yes we have injury prone players but players seem to have a constantly changing timetables for returns. With Tyler Smith and Donohue recently pulling up in the pre-match warm ups I don't think it's unfair to question whether the players are being physically prepared/conditioned properly for matches.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 13:04:43 »

Given we've not heard from the physio himself that's very harsh. We know Wellens liked to bullshit about injuries and player availability as a way of throwing the opposition out,

I think we have learnt that Wellens liked to bullshit about just about everything!

I'm questioning them because our injury levels aren't normal.

Are they not, I have never seen any breakdown of injury levels between clubs, what is 'normal'.
Panda Paws

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 13:19:17 »

Much more likely that we have an unprecedented schedule and injury-prone players than the young physios being at fault.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:14:22 by Panda Paws » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 13:57:20 »

Let be honest here though, the last couple of seasons we've had way beyond what can be considered a normal amount of injuries and comebacks seem to regularly get delayed or players suffer relapses. I don't think it's outside the realms of fairness to question the medical staff on this basis, especially with the amount of injuries we've suffered in warm ups as well.

Last season, we covered the injuries, this season they've taken us out.  Wellens is to "blame", which is harsh because last season the gamble paid off handsomely.  And that is what it is, a gamble.  We took players with problems, knowing that could hurt us, but in return we had a higher calibre of player than the other teams.

This season, we've got some of those same players, but we haven't added the right quality on top to take the same gamble.  Instead, we have injury/problem riddled players who are about the same standard as the league, but now with that risk of them falling lame.

You roll the dice, you takes your chance.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:05:02 »

It's a reasonable question to ask, certainly. But I think Wellens' strategy of signing injury-prone players so we can get better quality than we'd ordinarily be able to afford (at the risk of them getting injured more often) is probably a more likely candidate than throwing the physios under the bus
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:29:47 »

It's a reasonable question to ask, certainly. But I think Wellens' strategy of signing injury-prone players so we can get better quality than we'd ordinarily be able to afford (at the risk of them getting injured more often) is probably a more likely candidate than throwing the physios under the bus
I'm not throwing them under the bus, it's more questioning whether they'd benefit from some experience alongside them. As with everything I'm sure physio's gain knowledge through experience, both of ours look like they are in their 20's so early in their career. In a season that is more challenging than any past season in terms of match schedules experience would be a big help. Also with age and experience comes the ability to hold your own and stand up to managers and players when required which is especially pertinent with the number of relapses we've had.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:32:47 by theakston2k » Logged
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:34:57 »

This. Last year it worked, this year it hasn't. I'd rather have a squad of average league one players, than what we've got now - a handful of very good league one players mixed with league two players at best.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:37:08 »

You could just as easily argue old, experienced physios would be dinosaurs with out of date knowledge that would cause more problems with the hectic schedule.

I’m going to blame Wellens for the recruitment. Sure we knew the gamble but a good squad can make up for any loss. An awfully shite squad can’t.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:39:31 »

You could just as easily argue old, experienced physios would be dinosaurs with out of date knowledge that would cause more problems with the hectic schedule.

I’m going to blame Wellens for the recruitment. Sure we knew the gamble but a good squad can make up for any loss. An awfully shite squad can’t.
As with everything from physio's, coaching staff, players there's a balance to be had. It feels like we lack balance everywhere at the moment which is probably why we are where we are at the moment.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:45:55 »

Liverpool have a lot of injured players too. Klopp got lucky last year, their physios and coaches are now to blame.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 14:48:23 »

I'm not throwing them under the bus
You're doing a pretty good impression of it
Do have to question the competency of the physio. We've been told previously players were a week away and suddenly now it's 3 weeks for all them. Sounds like he's as much out of his depth as a lot of the squad.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 15:02:50 »

You're doing a pretty good impression of it
Competency for the position they are in. They might be great physios but doesn't mean they are competent to run the whole medical side of a professional football club. Ultimately we need a bottom up review of everything as small gains everywhere could lead to significant gains on the pitch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: