Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New laptop required  (Read 6912 times)
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:07:41 »

Appealing to the town end faithful. Just after a simple laptop for watching the games on iFollow, nothing fancy. Screen size about 15”. Current laptop is about 11 years old and despite wiping clean it’s as slow as fuck. Took me 40 mins from switch on to get to watch kick off! Anyone can point me in the right direction and what I need to be looking to spend would be great 👍
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:16:48 »

If the lappy itself still does all you need it to do but slowly then buy a cheap SSD £25 fit it and do a fresh windows 10 install, save yourself some money, also maybe upgrade the memory if you can, 4gb sticks are about £20.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:31:43 »

If the lappy itself still does all you need it to do but slowly then buy a cheap SSD £25 fit it and do a fresh windows 10 install, save yourself some money, also maybe upgrade the memory if you can, 4gb sticks are about £20.

My concern at 11 years old would be a dates processor, but yes, as Peter says, if the load isn't too taxing you could probably get it up and running to a decent standard for between 50-100 quid.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:38:49 »

Yes if its just surfing the net and word processing then an old processor won't be much slower than a brand new intel celery processor.

Also brand new "cheap" laptops are like rocking horse shit at the moment because so many students and workers have got them for working from home so the supply is limited and pricey.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:45:17 »

Yes if its just surfing the net and word processing then an old processor won't be much slower than a brand new intel celery processor.

Also brand new "cheap" laptops are like rocking horse shit at the moment because so many students and workers have got them for working from home so the supply is limited and pricey.

This was the year Zoom was born when many of us had only heard of Skype previously!

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 19:10:31 »

Don't need a new laptop but my charger wire (the skinnier wire) has frayed near to the charging block. It's ok atm but I need to wiggle it to keep the circuit closed.

Will a bit of electrical tape around it keep it good for a little while longer? It's what I usually do with other wires and tends to be ok. There's not enough room to strip it back and attach a connector but I don't really want to have to buy a replacement just yet, just want to sure it up for a few weeks.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 06:25:12 »

A little bump here. Either going to need a new laptop or if anyone knows of a decent tablet that will be good enough for my daughter who will be going to college in September so needs a new laptop/tablet
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 13:55:46 »

Suspect PV is your man but my twopennorth would be that a tablet isn't a good laptop replacement for college unless it's one with a proper physical keyboard like the Surface or the Lenovo ones, you just can't type as quickly on the virtual screen keyboards.

*Cue deluge of people claiming they can type every bit as fast on a virtual keyboard
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 14:00:38 »

Suspect PV is your man but my twopennorth would be that a tablet isn't a good laptop replacement for college unless it's one with a proper physical keyboard like the Surface or the Lenovo ones, you just can't type as quickly on the virtual screen keyboards.

*Cue deluge of people claiming they can type every bit as fast on a virtual keyboard

PV is the geezer, however to form a small deluge, we bought our lass a tablet as it was a lot cheaper than a lp top and paired it with an equally cheap blue tooth keyboard, alright it was for primary school level work but seems to do everything microsofty.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 14:05:13 »

Gimme a poke on here of FB, the lappy shortage has eased now so there is plenty available, gimme a budget and what its needed for and I can sort you mate.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 08:23:49 »

I've been looking on and off for a new one and its quite difficult to find a decent bargain at the moment. I might give you a shout at some point. I go through phases of wanting a new one and then figuring i'll make do with what i have.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 08:32:39 »

Bought a new Ryzen 7 ThinkPad for work a while back, it's damn good for the money. The only downside is the screen, but I mostly use it plugged into a dock with two 24" monitors so that's not so much of an issue for me.

I'd definitely be buying Ryzen over Intel at the moment. Ryzen 5 is the mid-range and good value for money, especially if you can get a 4000 series within your budget.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 08:40:32 »

I've been looking on and off for a new one and its quite difficult to find a decent bargain at the moment. I might give you a shout at some point. I go through phases of wanting a new one and then figuring i'll make do with what i have.
Not a worry at all.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 09:19:38 »

Bought a new Ryzen 7 ThinkPad for work a while back, it's damn good for the money. The only downside is the screen, but I mostly use it plugged into a dock with two 24" monitors so that's not so much of an issue for me.

I'd definitely be buying Ryzen over Intel at the moment. Ryzen 5 is the mid-range and good value for money, especially if you can get a 4000 series within your budget.
I've not really kept up to speed in recent years but from the little i do read its definitely apparent that AMD has closed the gap on Intel, if not surpassed them in some cases. 
Peter Venkman

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2021, 10:03:50 »

I've not really kept up to speed in recent years but from the little i do read its definitely apparent that AMD has closed the gap on Intel, if not surpassed them in some cases. 
AMD has surpassed Intel at pretty much every level now, even gaming which AMD has always lagged well behind on the new gen Ryzens are great processors but the pricey ones are rare as a brand new graphics card at the moment.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: