Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New laptop required  (Read 327 times)
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:07:41 »

Appealing to the town end faithful. Just after a simple laptop for watching the games on iFollow, nothing fancy. Screen size about 15. Current laptop is about 11 years old and despite wiping clean its as slow as fuck. Took me 40 mins from switch on to get to watch kick off! Anyone can point me in the right direction and what I need to be looking to spend would be great 👍
Peter Venkman
Tesco Value John Motson

Enjoy yourself its later than you think.

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:16:48 »

If the lappy itself still does all you need it to do but slowly then buy a cheap SSD 25 fit it and do a fresh windows 10 install, save yourself some money, also maybe upgrade the memory if you can, 4gb sticks are about 20.

Because I chose to play the fool in a six-piece band
First-night nerves every one-night stand
I should be glad to be so inclined
What a waste! What a waste!
Rock n Roll don't mind.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:31:43 »

If the lappy itself still does all you need it to do but slowly then buy a cheap SSD 25 fit it and do a fresh windows 10 install, save yourself some money, also maybe upgrade the memory if you can, 4gb sticks are about 20.

My concern at 11 years old would be a dates processor, but yes, as Peter says, if the load isn't too taxing you could probably get it up and running to a decent standard for between 50-100 quid.

Peter Venkman
Tesco Value John Motson

Enjoy yourself its later than you think.

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:38:49 »

Yes if its just surfing the net and word processing then an old processor won't be much slower than a brand new intel celery processor.

Also brand new "cheap" laptops are like rocking horse shit at the moment because so many students and workers have got them for working from home so the supply is limited and pricey.

Because I chose to play the fool in a six-piece band
First-night nerves every one-night stand
I should be glad to be so inclined
What a waste! What a waste!
Rock n Roll don't mind.
Jimmy Quinn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 10:45:17 »

Yes if its just surfing the net and word processing then an old processor won't be much slower than a brand new intel celery processor.

Also brand new "cheap" laptops are like rocking horse shit at the moment because so many students and workers have got them for working from home so the supply is limited and pricey.

This was the year Zoom was born when many of us had only heard of Skype previously!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: