Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Switching from a mountain bike to a hybrid bike  (Read 9880 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 12:02:43 »

I know we have some expert cyclists on here  Smiley
My trusty Kona MTB is now 12 years old and has a bit of a creaky saddle (but that could be down to the weight on it). I'm thinking of changing it but don't feel I need a mountain bike anymore as most of any cycling I do is on road or cycle path, sometimes on gravel etc. Been looking at the hybrid bikes as I think I'll be able to cover the ground quicker on something that doesn't have big nobbly tyres.
Couple of questions,  does anyone own a hybrid bike? What's it like to live with? Can you still pop up and down kerbs etc without knackering the wheels?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 12:54:39 »

I bought a hybrid a few years ago as, like you, I do no off road riding, mainly cycle paths and roads.
I like it, it's got the feel of a mountain bike, but sleaker and with thinner tyres.
I find it a bit quicker than a mountain bike too.

I am slightly more cautious going up kerbs than I would be on a mountain bike.

However, i'm not really into bikes, I just wanted something mainly for cycling to work.
I got on it for the first time in 9 months this week.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 12:57:04 »

Cheers
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 13:06:36 »

Buying a new saddle and tyres would be considerably cheaper.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 16:40:38 »

Buying a new saddle and tyres would be considerably cheaper.

Funnily enough I popped out and cleaned the bike, changed the saddle  (I have a few spares) and am now fixing the derailleur. Might look out for some smoother tread tyres.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 20:48:25 »

The rage at the moment is gravel bikes. Drop handle bars And 28-32mm tyres. Look up a Triban rc100 for the cheapest in the range.

Taking a tumble in December and breaking my neck has put pay to my cycling for a while.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 21:33:19 »

You'll be back on it, I had a shoulder dislocation fracture a couple of years ago  Smiley
I've bought some slightly narrower and smoother tyres, pick em up tomorrow.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 22:20:16 »

I switched from mountain bike to hybrid for similar reasons a year and a half back and would recommend it for the sort of cycling you suggest you’d be doing (if you do decide to buy). I got a Carrera Crossfire (pretty run of the mill Halfords bike) in a post Xmas sale for £200 which I’ve ridden most days since acquiring. I’ve always avoided expensive bikes thinking they are less nickable but lo and behold mine was nicked last week! I’m now looking for a hybrid replacement so any recommendations for around 300 to 450 from anyone would be appreciated.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 22:36:09 »

Are you looking new or 2nd hand?
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 4, 2020, 22:48:49 »

New as I can get it tax free due to cycle 2 work scheme, unless there was a dirt cheap 2nd hand one about.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 16:50:34 »

That's saved me a few hundred notes, £26 on new city tyres and I cleaned and serviced the bike. Not bad for a 12 year old bike.

* 20200605_174821_copy_1612x744.jpg (466.13 KB, 1612x744 - viewed 337 times.)
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 17:06:37 »

looks great
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 17:06:43 »

I switched from mountain bike to hybrid for similar reasons a year and a half back and would recommend it for the sort of cycling you suggest you’d be doing (if you do decide to buy). I got a Carrera Crossfire (pretty run of the mill Halfords bike) in a post Xmas sale for £200 which I’ve ridden most days since acquiring. I’ve always avoided expensive bikes thinking they are less nickable but lo and behold mine was nicked last week! I’m now looking for a hybrid replacement so any recommendations for around 300 to 450 from anyone would be appreciated.
Decathlon is your friend
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 17:15:36 »

Decathlon is your friend

I Feel your pain as over the years I had my Trek & Giant mountain bikes pinched and haven't bought another since but keep thinking about getting another one maybe a hybrid

So, give no fucks
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 22:14:25 »

Decathlon is your friend

Turns out my cycle2work scheme is tied to Evans Cycles. They seem a bit more expensive to begin with (though may be superior quality?) and mostly out of stock due to unprecedented demand since lockdown.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: